• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    What's the difference Between center fire and rim fire?

Here you go:

center-fire.gif

rimfire.gif

ch2_01.gif

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    There is no such thing as a stupid question.. we all had to learn it at one point and time! looks like the above people filled you in.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great answers. Helping me a lot. What calibers are Rim fire?

Many are now obsolete.... Many used to be rather large caliber such as the 56-46,50, & 52 Spencers...

Most common now days are some, but not all of the .17's, .22 short, .22 long, .22LR, .22 WMR and 5mm Rem mag...

Always refer to your manual on rimfires to make sure you can dry fire them. Being the firing pin hits on the rim rather than center, damage can be done to the side of the chamber and/or firing pin on many models.

HFDowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Does anyone know why the two types were originall created? I assume center fire was developed first. Was rim fire developed as a less expensive ammo?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Many are now obsolete.... Many used to be rather large caliber such as the 56-46,50, & 52 Spencers...

Most common now days are some, but not all of the .17's, .22 short, .22 long, .22LR, .22 WMR and 5mm Rem mag...

Always refer to your manual on rimfires to make sure you can dry fire them. Being the firing pin hits on the rim rather than center, damage can be done to the side of the chamber and/or firing pin on many models.

ill add 17 mach 2 , to that :D (i guess u did say "17's" though)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Center Fire is when you hit it right in the middle and

Rim Fire is when you miss and there's pee all over the toilet. :rolleyes:

or what they said.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Does anyone know why the two types were originally created? I assume center fire was developed first. Was rim fire developed as a less expensive ammo?

Based on Wikipedia, the rimfire was introduced in the 1840's while the centerfire was introduced in the 1860's. So it seems that the rimfire was developed first.

However, it is my understanding that rimfire rounds are cheaper to manufacture. Therefore their typical lower cost...at least before the crazy days. Now you might have to give your spleen for a bulk box of .22LR. OK...maybe not your splean...but maybe a pancreas.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know why the two types were originally created? I assume center fire was developed first. Was rim fire developed as a less expensive ammo?

Actually, centerfire cartridges were designed later for reliability (and probably other reasons).

The added component and assembly of a centerfire does add cost and trying to fit a primer in a .22 LR case would be a pain.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Rimfiires were originally based upon putting a projectile on a percussion cap. They came first because percussion-ignition firearms came first. When the internal ignition system became the norm, like other have said, center fires were more reliable, but beyond that, a center-mounted replaceable primer made the case re-usable, unlike a rimfire.

Top Bottom