• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Anyone load for the "sub" calibers? I've reloaded a fair amount of handgun ammo (.454, .44 mag, .357, .45 acp) but have little rifle experience. I recently acquired a rather unique pistol in .14-221 (.221 fireball necked down to .14) and was wondering if anybody had any experience with dealing with these tiny calibers. I have been told they are subject to sudden pressure spikes as max loads are approached. Anything else I need to be aware of?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    14caliber.com

i had a 19-223 Calhoon years ago, and still have a 17 rem. Fouling happens FAST with most of my small caliber guns, so get in the habit of shoot 5, swab, shoot 5, swab, etc.

Accuracy is fantastic, pelt damage is non-existant, and a pound of powder lasts a lonnnnnnnnng time.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I'm sure powder lasts forever - there just isn't room for much in there. The .14 is supposed to be incredibly fast. My understanding is that the sheer torque of the spinning bullet will tear ground squirrels and the like in half. :D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Bullet selection can be important as well, my 22 CHeetah tended to blow bullets up till I found one that would hold together at the velocities I was loading to. I have had good luck with Berger bullets loaded to 4000 fps +.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    all the .14 's I've found are solid copper. Aren't too many places that deal in something that small - looks like pencil lead - lol.

Top Bottom