• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got what's probably a dumb question. Without full auto capability, what is the draw of the 9mm "sub guns" like the Sig MPX or the Zenith Z-5? Don't get me wrong, they are way cool looking guns, and if money were no object I would have one, but what do they offer that, say, a Sig P226 doesn't other than a higher capacity mag? It seems that even if I were buying one to SBR it, I would still prefer something in 5.56.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Shouldering for better stability, lower/no recoil, better sight radius, lower velocity for indoor use, longer barrels for better/easier accuracy.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    But that same ammo could be suppressed with many normal pistols. At least that's the way it strikes me, anyway.
    Ah, I misunderstood your question. Greater accuracy, stability, and use of optics, I suppose. If you took a Glock 19 and tried to make it into the perfect room-clearing gun, seems like a sub gun would likely be the result.

Basically, if you have a sub gun, you get to look like an operator, right?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Great handling, able to share same ammo as handgun along with added accuracy and velocity. Plus easier to store and transport than a full rifle, and yeah, they look cool too!:ingo:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I think the key thing in the OP is "if money were no object". He is right (IMHO). If I could only have one SBR/Rifle, It would definitely bin in 5.56. However, if you can afford to have another rifle in addition, I think sub guns are AWESOME! Cheap to shoot, easy to train with, no over penetration, great for silencers, shoot steel at <100 yards, negligible recoil.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've got what's probably a dumb question. Without full auto capability, what is the draw of the 9mm "sub guns" like the Sig MPX or the Zenith Z-5? Don't get me wrong, they are way cool looking guns, and if money were no object I would have one, but what do they offer that, say, a Sig P226 doesn't other than a higher capacity mag? It seems that even if I were buying one to SBR it, I would still prefer something in 5.56.

When they are sold in a pistol configuration, there is no real advantage over a Sig 226. They are bigger, heavier, and kind of awkward to sight. The advantage comes with the stock.

Once you SBR one, it's a whole new game. They are just a blast to shoot. The sub guns truly are my favorites, and probably an addiction for me.
    My avatar pic is a 10.3" Colt in 5.56. It is bigger, heavier, and a whole lot louder than any of my sub guns. The 5.56 suppressed is still pretty loud due to the sonic boom. Suppress the sub guns, and it's not much louder than the action cycling. With a good optic, you can ring steel out to 100 yards as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Show up at an INGO shoot and try one out. But, be warned, they are addicting.:)

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I love mine! MPX is in the lineup but not pictured. I like that I can shoot what is essentially a rifle at MCFG plus all the other good reasons already posted. For me they're not "instead of" anything. They're in addition to . . .

9mm%20Carbines_zpsvcikvroi.jpg

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a HUGE itch for a sub gun... I almost bought a Scorpion, but after talking with Zenith I think I may hold off for the left handed MP5 option they should have coming down the pipes! It'll go perfect with my Omega 9k!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The AK is the offering from Definitive Arms - the AKX-9. Just waiting on the stamp for that one to put a triangle folder on it. Has LRBHO and is a wonderfully soft shooter.

Very nice! Looks to be Colt pattern mags? Is it direct blowback or is there still some kind of piston?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Very nice! Looks to be Colt pattern mags? Is it direct blowback or is there still some kind of piston?

Yes Colt pattern mags. Mine are ASC. The gun is blowback. There's a rod for weight that still reciprocates in the "gas tube", but no gas of course. You've got the weight of an AK but firing 9mm so it shoots very soft. After ringing steel at MCFG with this gun I always walk away with a big smile on my face. Well, all of them give me a big smile, but for some reason I really like the AK.

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    I've never owned a real subgun, how ever they are the coolest. I will be shooting an ump .40 this weekend, I'll report back with how much fun a f/a subgun is.:):

Top Bottom