• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well I had a great morning in the woods. About 8:30 I had two coyotes come by and I managed to shoot one. He rolled down a hill then took off on a hard run. Never did find him and didn't find sign of a hit. I may have shot over him, not sure.

At 9:45 this buck came sneaking by below a Ridgeline off to my left. Luckily I was standing at the time but all I could see was his head and neck so I put the cross hairs on the base of his neck and let him have it. He flipped over sideways and disappeared from view but I never saw him run. He was laying on his back right where I shot him. I don't think he even took a step.
    He's not the biggest buck but just a nice average one. Didn't matter to me. My load of the RCBS 35-200 fngc over 35.0 hrs 3031 in trimmed brass proved deadly as it was a complete passthrough and he never took a step. Man I love the .35 Rem.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Great work there.
    Great shot placement + .35 Remington = not much need for tracking, if any
    That's a real beauty of a Marlin, too.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have experimented with several cartridges in rifles since they have been allowed for deer and the 35 Remington is by far my favorite. I use a modified version based on a 30-40 Krag case reformed and shortened in a T/C Contender.

bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Too bad there are not any bolt actions available in 35 Remington. It would be interesting to know if they would provide more accuracy for that round. Of course, I am not sure if a 35 Remington 1.8 would load properly, considering it is an 1/8 inch shorter than standard size of 1.92 inches. It works well in the lever action though.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Too bad there are not any bolt actions available in 35 Remington. It would be interesting to know if they would provide more accuracy for that round. Of course, I am not sure if a 35 Remington 1.8 would load properly, considering it is an 1/8 inch shorter than standard size of 1.92 inches. It works well in the lever action though.

I don't think that would be a problem as the oal is the same whether it is 1.8 or 1.92. Bullet just sits out of the case farther. That's why it works in the lever guns because length is very critical and have to be loaded to original oal.

Also I have a CVA single shot and it is very accurate with the shortened brass but my Marlin will hold its own against it out to at least 100 yards. Really haven't shot it farther than that.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i bet it would shoot a lot better with some nice pointy bullets. i know the concern with pointed bullets an chain fire in lever guns but just load one in the chamber and one in the tube. bet you would never need the one in the tube.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington Model 7's, 600s and 788's could be had in .35 rem.
    Of course some of those may be collectible.

If you want a bolt rig, and want to keep the price decent.......why not just have a Savage rebarrelled?

Or get a 760 or 7600 pump. 7600 has free floating bbl (as should later 760 models) Early ones are slightly different, but have very good reports on accuracy. IIRC the bbl still kinda floats, but there's a stirrup off the front of the action assembly.
    My 760 in '06 was of the first type and it shot very well, as did my buddy's.

.35 rem popular in those..............expect to pay 450 or more. No deals on any right now........prices kinda silly on them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Contender carbine shot .35 rem trimmed to 1 inch at 100 yds.
    My buddy's CVA is a 1.5" gun for him.
    Under 200 yd round IMHO...........either is plenty good enough.
    I'm not seeing where a bolt gun offers any advantage.

I'd still like to have a Ruger #1 rebarreled to .35 rem.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    FWIW, I believe one of the guns that Frank Hamer's men were equipped with when they decided that they'd had enough of Bonny & Clyde was the Remington model 8 chambered in .35 Remington.
    Of course, they also had at least two BAR and a few other serious caliber long guns to go with it, but most historians believe that at least one Model 8 .35 Remington was the gun that Hamer himself used that day.

bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    How easy would it be to have a Savage bolt action converted to a 35 Remington? Which model would you have to use? I can't find any Remington bolt actions available.

Top Bottom