• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yup, that's it, sugar. Seems innocent and simple enough right? Okay then, why won't ant's and other insects have anything to do with it any more? When I was growing up we had black ants and tiny little red ants that would literally swarm anything with sugar in it, especially that granular white stuff that comes in a paper bag. Now, less than 25 miles from the house I grew up in we have the same friggin' ants, big black ones and tiny red ones, and they won't touch the stuff. I've tested various brands, different candies, etc for the last two years now and the bugs just won't have anything to do with it, not in the house, in the yard, in the garage, on the porch, on the floor, on the counter......WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO OUR SUGAR?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to have ants climbing my glass when I had Mt Dew to the point I'd have to smear crisco around the base of the glass to keep them out. That wasn't that long ago.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe time to grow some of your own sugar beets and refine them, then try that? I might do that myself just to be an ass.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    They won't touch any of it, not in juice, pop, candy, etc...it sort of freaks me out a little.

OK, this spring I'm going to leave out some sugar and when the ants crawl all over the counter, I'm sending my irate wife straight at you. :):

Seriously, I'm going to do some experimenting this spring. I'm setting a reminder for a Thread Resurrection for spring.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    OK, this spring I'm going to leave out some sugar and when the ants crawl all over the counter, I'm sending my irate wife straight at you. :):

Seriously, I'm going to do some experimenting this spring. I'm setting a reminder for a Thread Resurrection for spring.
    Please do. This past summer they wouldn't even touch the marshmallows left by the fire pit for weeks, and this spring the peeps escaped ant free.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Peeps are vile in their own way. I wouldn't blame the ants for leaving them alone. I've ordered some sugar beet seeds. We'll see.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Peeps are vile in their own way. I wouldn't blame the ants for leaving them alone. I've ordered some sugar beet seeds. We'll see.
    I would be almost certain they would go for pure sugar if you made it at home and know it is just that. The only doubt I would have would be air-born contaminates getting to the plants which is a tiny doubt at that. I just want to know what they are adding in commercial stuff and not telling us if yours gets eaten! Pesticides on the farms? Contrails(ALMOST made this one purple)? WTF?

ETA-Peeps are AWESOME toasted like a marshmallow...the sugar coating melts and caramelizes and gets all chewy...mmmm. We always try to stock up with enough in the spring to get us through the summer...never works.

Top Bottom