• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My boss is getting concerned about the specter of a Clinton regime and the inevitable torrent of anti-gun action that will surely ensue, so he is seriously considering getting his first AR-15.
    My suggestion to him was to get advice from as many people as possible with his ideas on price range, features, quality, and ease of modification later should he want to switch out parts.
    Obviously, this platform is extremely popular these days, largely because of the modularity of the design, but my other suggestion to him was to get the one that most closely matches what he wants to save the time and expense of extensive modifications and to have a quality gun that will last.
    He's not interested in bells and whistles (carry handle, bayonet lug, threaded barrel), but maybe an adjustable/collapsible stock would be nice to allow it to instantly fit the person shooting it, and he likes the idea of having an option to put a red dot sight on it, so it goes without saying that a basic Picatinny rail would be preferable.
    Basically, follow the time honored advice: buy once, cry once
    He has seen several out there that cost in the $600-$700 range, and I'm unsure what his ceiling is, but he definitely wasn't balking at those.
    I know next to nothing about the AR platform, but I've heard lots of good things about the Smith & Wesson version, which surprised me by not being out of line price-wise (somewhere in the $600-$700 range), but there are probably better rifles out there for the money.
    What do you folks think about a decent basic AR for home defense with no frills such as a fast twist barrel for heavy bullets, flash-hider optional, and no carry handle, but with decent basic iron sights, a Picatinny rail, and a collapsible/adjustable stock?
    I realize that I could go on for hours about all the tiny options available and all that, but I don't think he's interested in that or even knows about it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Nothing wrong with a basic Bushie or RRA.

Only a couple brands have been able to carve out a niche justifying higher prices. Most mass-market AR from the big guys are affordable because the competition is so intense.

I'd just go to a LGS and pick which one under $700 I like best from any maker that's been in business more than a year or two.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    For a basic fighting rifle:

Aero Precision OEM < Colt 6920 or 6970 < BCM < DD / LMT < KAC

The Aero OEM's are absolutely the best I've seen of the budget guns. They have mil-spec BCG's, Ballistic Advantage barrels, and you get a lot for what you pay. They are definitely better than the other budget guns (M&P sport, DPMS, etc...). They're $559 from Brownells, and they allow you to not waste money on the junk OEM stocks and hand guards. This allows you to choose whatever stock and handguard you like without wasting money because most people swap the stock junk out immediately anyway.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the great advice so far.
    It looks good for either the M&P or the Aero, so that's what I'll suggest first.
    Were it just me looking for an AR, I'd probably buck for an Armalite, for no other reason than nostalgia because they were the original manufacturer of Stoner's design, but I'm sure that the other manufacturers are overall better guns now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Aero Precision, Spike's Tactical, or the Sport 2

There's also Eagle Arms, Armalite's "entry level" line, they only come with a 1 year warranty.

Unfortunately some Armalites and Eagle Arms are under recall right now, they got the FCGs from outside vendors and have discovered some had bad heat treats and parts wear

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....stay away from Armalite. Out of those three, the Aero is head and shoulders the nicest by a clear, measurable margin. The M&P Sport is ok, but you get a lot nicer rifle with the Aero. It really is a nice rifle.

Thanks for the great advice so far.
    It looks good for either the M&P or the Aero, so that's what I'll suggest first.
    Were it just me looking for an AR, I'd probably buck for an Armalite, for no other reason than nostalgia because they were the original manufacturer of Stoner's design, but I'm sure that the other manufacturers are overall better guns now.

Aero Precision, Spike's Tactical, or the Sport 2

There's also Eagle Arms, Armalite's "entry level" line, they only come with a 1 year warranty.

Unfortunately some Armalites and Eagle Arms are under recall right now, they got the FCGs from outside vendors and have discovered some had bad heat treats and parts wear

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    SIG M400 enhanced or the Colt both far superior to the entry level AR,s.
    The Sig is the best made AR I have ever seen for about a grand.
    I have fired about 10,000 rounds though mine zero failures with crap ammo.
    Well worth another $300 bones.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    SIG M400 enhanced or the Colt both far superior to the entry level AR,s.
    The Sig is the best made AR I have ever seen for about a grand.
    I have fired about 10,000 rounds though mine zero failures with crap ammo.
    Well worth another $300 bones.

My brother's M400 blew me away. I couldn't believe he got it in trade for a SuperNova and some shells! The guy *really* wanted that shotgun.

It had a cheap optic on it, but the rifle itself was very well made-- great quality.
    It compares surprisingly favorably to my much more expensive DDM4. But the fit and finish of the Sig were every bit as good as my DD, just that the DD has more features.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    I have the Ruger and it haas been excellent. Only issue I had was with a blackhawk mag. All PMags have been perfect. You can get them under $600.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    M400. Changed barrel after 19k rounds. Still going. S&w sporty. Stag with plus package is 100% mil spec like bcm for under 1k. Aero 15. Saint(1500 rounds through mine so not a long term thing) bravo basic middy is $1050. Lots of options. Colt also but the new ones are junk. Just saw one at midwest that the upper receiver was two different tones.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom