• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    A coworker of mine asked the ‘big question’ of me this morning.

‘My wife is wanting to purchase a gun for self-defense, what are your recommendations?’

So far of the few people he’s asked, the Ruger LCP has been suggested for her.

I told him I’d ask around, and hey! who better to ask? Oh, that’s right! My INGO guys. :)

Start the suggestions and I’ll pass them on to him. He’s given the following criteria, First time-er (shooting wise and handling) Small frame, small hands Smaller caliber (9mm and down)

I asked about feelings on a revolver, because I’ve seen those suggested quite frequently for women.

SO!... opinions? I’ll link him to this conversation later, maybe he’ll even sign up! :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If she is not an experienced pistol shooter, then the LCP is a TERRIBLE choice. It is a handful. It is only .380, but it is tiny. I prefer shooting full house loads out of my 629 .44 Mag. :)

Is this for carry?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Take her to a range where she can handle a few different platforms and shoot them. No one is going to be able to tell you what fits her best and what she would be comfortable with better than her....

Its that simple....

Iyyobr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    +1 for a nogo on the LCP it's small and kicks hard. Take her to a range let her shoot a few herself, Infact take her a few times to see a better selection mabe from a few shooters. I see sooooo many people buying small pistols for there wives becaus there small, then she shoots it once and never touches it again because of recoil. Only 380 I know that handels recoil superb is the Walther PK380, I'd perfer a 9mm but getting her to carry a .380/22 is better than mace and a step in the right direction

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My GF is looking to get something (and her LTCH!) so I've let her handle several and taken her shopping a little. Shooting soon. She liked the feel of an LCR but I have no .38 ammo, then I'm also afraid she's going to kidnap my Sig 230. Your friend basically needs to try some on, so to speak, and fire them. Same as for anyone, you have to find what's comfortable, and what you fire well. It's like buying a car. You're there to help, and I'm sure you can connect with people close that can get her hands on some things.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    As stated above, most of the .380 pistol choices are little poppers. They are not a good choice. Try a S&W revolver that will shoot .38spl and .357. That way she can work her confidence a little before shooting those heavier loads.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    It definitally comes down to what she wants, if the recoil creates a fear of firing the gun she will likely not shoot it and/or will start to flinch. A 22lr on target is better than a heavier load off target. My wife wasnt even comfortable with 38spl target load in a SW Model 10 (full size 38spl revolver), but she can fill a pie plate from 7 yards with her Walther P-22. I know many may diagree, but I'd rather her have a gun than no gun at all.

Again, no to the LCP due to high ammo costs (she will need to shoot a lot) and sharp recoil. I suggest 22lr and 9mm to new shooters for cheap practice.

My 9mm suggestions:
    LC9 and CW9 for compact.
    Also, the Taurus 905 is a neat gun. 5 shot 9mm revolver, more powerful than 38 spl and can be equal to 357 out of a 2" barrel.

If 9mm is too much kick, the new Ruger SR22 looks to be a nice shooter.

Also a Bersa 380 is a great first gun, more expensive ammo, but the gun is low cost, reliable and handles the recoil of the 380 round better than the LCP.

Last edited:

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I definitely recommend some range time as well. My wife has shot everything from .38 to the Judge. A full size 9 is often a lot less felt recoil than .38 +P, but that's what she always goes back to. It's a matter of confidence. The first gun I ever bought was a .38 snubby because the shop owner gave me the "if it doesn't work she pulls the trigger again - if a semi-auto doesn't work and she's not proficient with it she's essentially got a rock".

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    she can fill a pie plate from 7 yards with her Walther P-22. I know many may diagree, but I'd rather her have a gun than no gun at all.
    I used to have a .22 S&W "Kit Gun", blue, snub nosed, I liked to carry in my pocket. Had that stoked with CCI "Stinger" H.P.s! :naughty:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My 9mm suggestions:
    LC9 and CW9 for compact.

I'm not sure that I'd recommend the LC9, without a trigger job anyway. (I'm biased -- right now I'm ditching my LC9 for a bigger gun, mainly because it's too big for deep concealment, and too small for most other things.) The small size of the gun, the long trigger, the un-ergonomic handle, etc. will not be good for a beginner.

Small, light guns are harder to shoot than big, heavy ones, and many people choose what they can hold easily in the gun store. But then when they go to a range, they discover that shooting has other requirements. I always have to tell women that size matters -- weight anyway, because it helps to reduce recoil...

I'd say your friend's wife should take some courses in learning to shoot defensively. As she gains some ability, she'll be able to figure out what gun she wants to shoot. This is a part of the process.

I started out thinking I'll like the plastic fantastic in 9mm like many people, but after a few lessons, I find myself preferring a full size 1911 in .45. There are some instructors (even on INGO!) who have a variety of guns to let you try out, and there are some very affordable courses for beginners. Training trumps equipment.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Small frame 9mm or possibly a 38 special revolver. Most suggest revolver because it is a no brainer. Point and pull trigger, repeat as nessisary. A semi-auto is ok as long as she practices enough to become really comfortable with it before strapping it on to carry. i always tell someone to run about 500 to 1000 rounds through the gun they plan on carrying. Field stripping and cleaning included. Go to a range when there are people you know so she can shoot a variety of guns before deciding for herself. She might be suprised at what she may find most suitable. I know a few women that carry. Some shoot 45's and some like 38/357 revolvers. The biggest thing is letting her decide with out influencing her too much. I know its easy to persuade our wives to pick something we think is the best one for them. It is just our nature to try to help too much.
    It is always great to be able to share our hobby with our spouses.
    Best of Luck.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    So you're saying...?

Man, when JetGirl and 88GT and JeepCrazed see this, it's gonna get entertaining.
    OP stated she has small hands. A double stack 45 might not be the best gun for her to shoot. I always start new shooters out on a smaller caliber gun. Less intimidating to start. Then work up to whatever they are comfortable with.
    My wife shoots XD 40 but carries an LCR 357, on the job she carries a Sig P220.
    Likes the smaller gun to conseal better.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Take her to a Range, and have her shoot a Variety of Firearms to find the one that is a fit for her...

This.

My ex girlfriend was looking to get a gun. I put a sig P226 .22lr, Sig P220 .45, a 1911, ruger security six, smith M37, Glock 19, Glock 35, Ruger black hawk. She decided she liked revolvers and ended up getting a smith 627 5" PC for a carry gun. Yes, she dresses around it. but she picked it, and is happy she got it.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Beretta .25 acp.
    Beretta%2021A%20Bobcat%2022LR%20212104.jpg

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My wife has big hands for a lady but weak wrists.The 9mm cz I got her kicked too much.
    She prefers the Taurus revolver with the stainless frame and small grips.It has a 3"
    barrel, I wouldn't reccomemend anything shorter.

Top Bottom