Suggestions for a female first time carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still concerned about the stiff trigger. She only shot a SA only revolver and so hasn't felt the pull on a DA. She did not like the DA trigger on my FNP 45 which leads me to believe a snubby 38 would turn her off.

Anyone shot a Ruger LCR? Is the trigger system on that as good as they claim, that would probably be the only option for a .38

My wife can't cycle the action on my Taurus 85CH. I am going to smooth up the action and put a Wolff spring kit in and see if she can fire it then.

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    Another vote for taking her to the range. On a good day, most gun owners will be happy to let her shoot their weapons. I've been to the range and have lent a few of mine to perspective buyers.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Ruger LCR .38

Ruger LCR has a smooth, easy trigger. Ruger says it's ok to dry fire the LCR too. The .38 recoil is acceptable for me, small hands and beginning arthritis. While it is made in .357 (and .22), I had no desire to practice with .357, so why pay extra for it? It's a practical CC gun and is my primary carry firearm. As a snubnose, it is very accurate also. I don't use special +p ammo either. I don't like the extra recoil-- if a good self defense round is used, .38 will work just fine.
    Here's a review of the LCR which helped me when shopping for a good carry revolver:
    Ruger LCR 38 Special Review | HausofGuns.com | Gun and Gear Reviews, Hunting and Outdoor Products, Video

I agree with other posters, that it might help your wife to shoot a variety of firearms--as long as it's without the pressure to decide on THE gun choice.
    Shooting should be fun--not stressful-- for a beginner. She will know when and which firearm she likes best when she is ready.
    That will be the gun she chooses, practices, carries and may defend her life someday, but it will be her gun, like driving her own car.

pete-phil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    vincennes
    If you love her get her a pink lady smith with the red laser it's kinda girlie like, my wife loves hers so much she wont shoot it (might get dirty)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Due to her lack of experience, You don't want to get her an auto. If she is like my wife, she would say something like "I tried to pull the slidie thing back and the bullit got stuck and I didn't know what to do." If she really needs it, you don't want her playing with it trying to figure out how to make it go bang. Go with a little five shot revolver in 38 special. If she practiced with the single action and the 38 has a hammer she will know she can pull the hammer back.

CheckmARk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    The Mrs. found the LCR in .38 to have a little too much recoil for her liking, so the next step was to stay the simple course and get the same gun in .22 LR. 8 shots of .22 with a good chance of some being on target is better than 5 no where close misses. With more practice, maybe she can move back to the .38 and have the .22 as a spare/backup.
    Best wishes,
    klm

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that I had to do finger hand wrist and forearm strengthening to work either triggers or slides as well as prevent limp wristing. It paid off. I am not a fan of revolvers but have a couple semi autos.

I usually role with an XD 9 and Bersa .380 to the range and would be happy to let your wife try them.
    PM me if you are interested. I am located in the greater Indy area.
    LS6

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Buy a shotgun.....................Buy a shotgun.

Make sure it's double barreled, though, for ultimate combat effectiveness ;)

My vote is for M&P Shield if you can find one. I like it a lot better than the LC9. Trigger is nice. Only thing would be if she can rack the slide. My wife can't rack it, but she can shoot it well and likes it and has hardly any firearms experience.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, I'm all for letting your lady choose here own weapon. She can learn function of an auto like everyone else did, one step at a time.

Me? I'm a BIG fan of the .357 revolver, as a general rule. The action CAN be smooth (if it's not already), and .357 & .44 mags. wheelguns may very well the most versatile handguns any one can buy.

Between those two, it's my personal observation that, with the vast array of loadings from light .38's through +P, +P+, etc., a 4" .357 stainless revolver MAY be THE most versatile single handgun a person can own.

For CC, or where THEY feel they may not be 'big enough' for a 4", drop that to a stainless .357 in the 2.5" - 3" snubby range, get a COMBAT action job (IF necessary), and adjust ammo choices to dial in the balance between comfort and capability.

Again, that's MY opinion. The lady carries a P-11 / 12+1, really digs it, and is deadly accurate with it. AND, burns up ammo like John McClane in a "Die Hard" movie! :ar15: :shoot: :biggun: :laugh: :D :laugh:

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    My wife is in the process of getting her lifetime license and so will obviously be needing a carry piece once that is taken care of.

Her experience with handguns is very limited. On a range day with my father and I she shot a FNP 45, .380 Llama, and a .22 SA revolver. Of all, she preferred the revolver. She seemed somewhat afraid of the slide action. But I don't want to her stuffing a Heritage Arms cowboy plinker into her purse either.

I have considered several little .38s but I think the DA trigger would turn her off due to its stiffness.

All of that leads me to small caliber autos. My dad wrote a piece on the P32 a few years ago and liked it well enough and that seems to me to be a perfect fit, but I am worried .32acp just isn't enough. I just want her to feel like she can shoot it accurately and comfortably and not develop a fear of it that leads to not ever carrying it.

Your thoughts?

I hope she doesn't stuff anything into her purse. I think that's the worst place to carry. If someone's robbing her, they'll snatch it and run. If they're not robbing her, she's not going to have time to dig it out of her purse. (I sometimes have to dump mine just to find my car keys). They do make purses that allow you to have your weapon in it and carry it with your hand on the grip.

Top Bottom