• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Looking for suggestions for a good, quality made lever action .22LR. I've got an old bolt action that I love, and that has sentimental value to me, but have not been impressed with the newer guns on the market. I looked at a 10/22 last week, and was suitably unimpressed. I guess I expect a few more things on a rifle that costs $300 than what I saw on any of them (you know, even a fixed sight might be a good add for some of them), and while I did like the idea of the Take-down model, try finding one right now.

So, I thought back to my youth, and how much I loved watching John Wayne with his lever action rifle. I don't have a need for a high caliber gun, but a nice, fun lever action .22LR could be just the ticket.

Suggestions most welcome, and if you know where I might find them, please add that too.....thanks to the incredible knowledge of the INGO members for helping me out!

andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    Are you looking to buy a new rifle or a used one? If you're looking for a new rifle I would go with a Henry .22 lever repeater. They're light-weight, inexpensive, and fun to plink with.

Personally I would buy a used Marlin 39a. They'll set you back a little more than a new Henry, depending on condition. I've owned two Marlin 39a's and there isn't one thing I can say that I didn't like about them. Cheap and fun to shoot. You can find them made between the 50's to the 90's, and they were made very tough, top quality.

As far as where to buy... check ingo classifieds, I have seen some on here. You can check auction listings too.

Also I wanted to add: I used to stand at 50 yards and hit a 6 inch steel plate 19 times in a row with my 39a (thats how many rounds of LR the tube holds). Nothing brings a smile to your face like the sound of the lever then the *ting*.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have lots of 22 lever action rifles. The best of the bunch is the Winchester 9422M (22 mag) XTR it shoots better that you would think and is the best in overall quality and build. They don't come cheap anymore. They are only available used.

DSC03050.jpg

The marlin 39a is the second best and best of the 22 long rilfe ones I own. The standard 39a is full size a mini me of the 336/1894 basically. They shoot better than most shooters can.

DSCN0530.jpg
    1984 birth date

DSCN0532.jpg
    1954 birth date

Most people get a henry now but that is one I don't have.

Stay away from the abused ones and you should be good to go. Ruger, browning, rem and Iver Johnson all made 22 levers. I would stay away from the Iver Johnson all together.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Erma made one, same design now produced here is called a Henry.
    I've had a few 9422M's.
    Good chuckers to 75 yds iron sighted. I'm looking for an XTR without checkering..........man they want a lot for those!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In my opinion, the absolute best .22 LR lever rifle out there today is the Browning BL-22. They even have a "junior" sized one available. Those are just about as small OAL as you can get without having an SBR.

They're slim, very well built, and the slick 33* lever throw is the shortest throw by FAR of all the lever rifles. If you have strong enough hands, you don't have to remove your trigger hand from the rifle to cycle the action - just flick your fingers down and back up.

-J-

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    In my opinion, the absolute best .22 LR lever rifle out there today is the Browning BL-22. They even have a "junior" sized one available. Those are just about as small OAL as you can get without having an SBR.

They're slim, very well built, and the slick 33* lever throw is the shortest throw by FAR of all the lever rifles. If you have strong enough hands, you don't have to remove your trigger hand from the rifle to cycle the action - just flick your fingers down and back up.

-J-

+1

Very nice guns. I had a trigger job done on mine and it is (still) a thrill to shoot. Despite newer, more tactical toys, I still go back in time with my BL-22. I have no idea how many rounds have been through mine and it still is great.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    The only .22lr lever action I have any experience with is my own Henry Rifle, but I would say that this rifle has surpassed my expectations in every way! It has never had a Feed issue, failure to fire, Failure to eject, or any other problem. And no matter what I do, I can't seem to make this rifle miss a target!!! The Marlin's seem to get a lot of praise, and i'm sure they are amazing rifles, But if you are looking for a fun, reliable, lever action with a lot of history for under $300 then get a Henry. Just my 2 cents.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seriously... Handle a Henry... Then handle a Winchester...

Then handle a Browning.

Try cycling the action quickly on all of them and determine which would be the fastest on follow up shots on tree-rats...

-J-

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think all options said already are good, my dad has a Henry and it shoots very nicely. Also agree its not super smooth yet but it only has a couple hundred rounds through it.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Thanks for all the great advice. I have several good models now to explore and consider. I am grateful for the time each of you took to respond!

Top Bottom