• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I'm looking into saving up and purchasing an AR15 for my next toy =] So I was wondering if yall could give me some suggestions on what manufactures look at since there is an overabundance of options to look at.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    And you just missed the AR Open House.

You have a dollar range or specific purpose you're looking at?

Without knowing I'd recommend Stag, Rock River, Colt, LMT, Noveske.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Well I buy my guns from a shop in Lansing,IN from a friend my father and I have known and hunted with for years. I'm looking to spend between $700-$1500. I want to try to save as much money as possible cause money is tight now a days, but I don't want a cheap gun. I want a reliable and well built and dependable AR.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, I'd definitely look at the last 3 in that list above.

And if you want to look at gas piston setups check out LMT, PWS, LWRC

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Alright sounds good. I will poke around on the internet like GunBroker.com. What other sites are there out there too look on besides the manufactures websites?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    CMMG is having a sale on their gas piston rifles for 999.00 and their standard rifles are 800 something. DPMS is a decent brand as well, Ive got one and ive not had a problem even with cheap ammo. Im looking at a STAG arms right now for right at a grand for a M4 style. Rock River is a good one as well. Im not sure where you are located but Orion Arms(used to be keislers) in clarksville has just about every manufacture's AR under the sun with prices ranging from 750 to 3 grand I was just there friday, theyve got a nice rock river with 2 stage trigger for 975. flat top M4 upper

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    You mentioned the gas piston setups, im new to the whole terminology, what do those do?

gas pistons simply relocate where and how the bolt is being pushed back and cycled, on a normal AR, the gases are forced back into the chamber and bolt in order to cycle the weapon to the next round. a gas piston puts a piston driven system up front and keeps the gases from going back into the chamber making it easier to clean and supposedly more reliable. Its similar to how the AK47 functions

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You mentioned the gas piston setups, im new to the whole terminology, what do those do?

The typical AR uses gas to push the bolt carrier back to cycle the weapon which releases gas inside bolt area. The gas piston systems have a piston that pushes your bolt carrier back to cycle which leaves it cleaner and cooler.

That's a very simplistic explanation.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    there are conversions, but if its what you want you should buy it up front. There are a good amount of parts to swap out.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    type CMMG arms into google and check out there website, for the money, its about the best option if you want the gas piston system. But, there are mixed reviews about whether the gas piston system is worth the extra coin. Id do some research if I were you, I was looking into it and it just seems like its not worth it unless you do a ton of shooting or full auto

Top Bottom