• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I had a chance to take the 1911 back to the range and tried shooting it with my thumb up on the safety rather than below. Not much else to say besides "thumbs up." It was great, and I shot well, I'm very happy. I'll probably change the grips eventually but I haven't done it yet.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had a chance to take the 1911 back to the range and tried shooting it with my thumb up on the safety rather than below. Not much else to say besides "thumbs up." It was great, and I shot well, I'm very happy. I'll probably change the grips eventually but I haven't done it yet.

Glad to hear that worked out for you :yesway:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your grip could still use a little tweaking, OP.

Look again at the pics posted above.

Otherwise, kudos to you for making a smart change.

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    Take a look at Altamont grips. I have about a dozen pairs of them. They fit very well, are nicely made, and aren't ferociously expensive.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I gave it a try

great! too many people won't try new things and have no idea how much it limits them.

The CZ is just very different from the 1911 and there's literally physically no way that I can get a two-handed grip on the gun if my thumb is higher than that "thumb rest." I'm not going to complain about it even if it looks wrong, because on a good day I can shoot a 3-inch group with the CZ.

And this is unfortunately what happens if I move my thumb above the thumb rest, a big gap in between my hands, which does not work at all. This is the RH shot but it looks the same LH if I move my thumb that high:

from these photos, it really looks like you could get that thumb on top of the safety. It might feel weird at first, but it will allow that LH to get higher on the gun. the higher you can grip, the better. you're giving up a lot of control. The "gap" is from not rotating your left wrist. bend that wrist so that the thumb is in line with the forearm and points to the target.

look at this photos bwframe posted...

70b9b3d3f642b83a5d796399a60b64f9.jpg

notice how the end of her right thumb is actually behind her left thumb? now compare that to your photo.... that's how much more you can rotate that left grip, which will beautifully fill in that gap, allowing the whole grip to be higher, resulting in the best grip possible. Sometimes this rotating feels weird at first, even stretches the muscles/tendons, but stick with it and you'll be amazed how well it works.

-rvb

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it. I can rotate it my wrist and almost meet my hands, but I have to grip over the trigger guard to do it on the CZ and on some other guns, too. As I rotate my wrist my fingers have to move forward. She is doing it a little in the photo, too, which is ok, but I end up having to do it a lot more on the CZ because of the different way it's shaped compared to the 1911 and instead of just wrapping a little bit forward under the bottom of the trigger guard, I'm stuck wrapping my fingers under the whole trigger guard.With the 1911 I can get my thumb up on the safety just fine, like the woman in the photo, and my fingers aren't pushed too far forward. It doesn't look as pretty as she's got it yet, but I'll practice it. The CZ is a different shape and it doesn't work.

The photo I posted of it before doesn't show it very well, but this is the only way I can do it, and pretty much my fingers are around the trigger guard, and I can feel them with my trigger finger.

This grip results in horrible accuracy. I have tried it before with other guns and it hasn't worked with those, either. I first tried this with a Glock 19, at my husband's urging, and it just doesn't work. I've tried it with a few others, too. I have tried this every so often to be sure it's not working. I tried it again with the CZ last week when I took both it and the 1911 to the range. So yes, I can physically rotate my wrist and get it up there, but my fingers end up in the wrong spot. Or my support hand elbow ends up pointing in the air. Combo of smaller hands and tiny wrists? I don't know. My 9 year old's wrists are only a bit smaller than my own, I'm just not working with much there.

I shoot that CZ better than any gun I've tried, even with my ugly grip. Ugly grip on the CZ = pretty grouping, actually looks like I know what I'm doing. Pretty grip on the CZ (well, besides the unavoidable trigger guard gripping) = ugly grouping.

I'm willing to try pretty much anything, I have no pride regarding my (lack of) grip. I have had to work on my grip a lot mostly because of jerking the trigger and limp-wristing certain sensitive guns, I think due to having too much "thumb" on the butt of the handle and having too low of a grip. I shoot a handgun better right-handed even though I'm left-handed and left-eyed. Some day my kids will be a little older and I'll maybe get some professional pointers. I'll keep trying to get my grip as high as possible.

Top Bottom