• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Will my polymer carry gun be alright stored in my hot glove box while I'm at work? I have this daydream/nightmare of me getting off work mid-July, finding my way to the car, going for my gun only to find the slide and magazine cemented in a solidified puddle of plastic. I know that is a bit dramatic, but i would very much not like to ruin my expensive pistol! I've never carried it to work, but I have considered it in light of the new legislation that will allow me to if I choose.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Your gun won't melt in your glove box. Instead of leaving it in your glove box you might look at getting a car safe to store it in your car while at work. JMO

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    unless of course its made of creamy milk chocolate, then its gonna melt. if you live on the sun it could melt too but in that case i wouldn't think you would need to carry a gun. a word of advice, if your gun melts in your glovebox, buy another gun!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Guys don't be so rude/mean to the new member. :welcome:to :ingo:.
    Your firearm will be OK but as others have suggested the glovebox even when locked is not the best place to leave the firearm behind in. Invest in a vehicle "mini" safe for it if you must leave it behind in your vehicle for whatever reason.

Now if it's a GLOCK just throw it away cause those go BOOM! even when not touched! :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I worked with plastic injection molds for a couple of years. We worked on molds that made everything from, car seats to parts for stihl products. It all depends on the material, and mixture. However plastics are made very strong. I can remember abusing some parts, as much as I could and never even fazed them!

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd wager that the very glove-box you're worried about it melting in is made of a plastic which is more likely to melt/distort. Some metals are more likely to melt/distort than the plastic polymers used for quality pistol frames.

A lot of people need to get over the idea that polymer-framed pistols are less rugged than metal-framed pistols. The primary difference is that polymer frames are lighter weight & are heat insulators rather than heat conductors, so you're less likely to be burned by the frame.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    summer heat + polymer frame = not burning your fingers when you reach for gun on a hot day when you need it.

That's the truth. Try leaving a 1911 in your glove box in the middle of July while you're at the Indianapolis Zoo all day. I did and I couldn't even re-holster it was so hot. I had to sit it in the console next to me till it cooled down.

Last edited:

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome! Question. Do you always believe what you read? I feel there is a difference between reading it's OK on random sights on the internet, and hearing it from someone who you are rather confident has real world experience. I agree that a safe is a good idea, but my glove box has a lock and it will have to do until i get the extra dough. Here is a picture of my pistola...
    23571_108698459161627_100000644202796_115623_5687100_n.jpg

pyzik

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    SE MI
    As everyone else has said, you're fine.
    I will echo the advice to get a vehicle safe.

I have a Hogue "Handall" on my carry and have noticed it can get a little sticky (just barely) feeling when left in the hot car. Also, it gets a little loose in the heat.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    If your last name is actually Hardacre, that is one sweet last name. (not sarcasm, but you don't have to answer that non-question)

Also, if you've ever shot more than 10-20 rounds out of your gun in a row, the barrel(which is touching/very close to the plasic) has been hotter than your car's glove box ever will be!

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    To eldirector: Yes it is a subcompact 9mm. Holds 13+1. Its super comfortable to hold and shoot. I wear it IWB in the front and it's hidden rather well with just a t-shirt! I sat around the house just holding it all day (unloaded of course) for two months waiting for my ltch to come in the mail so I could finally take it to the range. :D :shoot:

To everyone else your comments do make sense. I just wanted to make sure instead of finding out the hard way. That, and I'm rather new to the gun culture and want to make sure I know what I'm talking about for when, one day, it's my turn to share my sage advice. Thanks, by the way.

P.S. Yes that is my real last name. You're really the first person that has ever said anything positive about it. Once, my freshman year of high school, a girl mistook it for Hardcore and that name stuck until I graduated. I didn't realize when I registered with INGO it was asking for my username first and now i'm stuck with my real name... again. I checked with the FAQs and it says a username change is only allowed under extreme circumstances. At least there is one fan of the name out there I guess.

Top Bottom