• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Um, without the sun the earth would lose its source of heat and become a dead frozen wasteland.

Besides, pot farmers have mastered indoor growing for years.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    this may be the answer to the worlds food problem, but then where do we get the energy to run the lights.....

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking business idea! How cool would it be to run a 'farmer market' in the middle of winter with fresh produce, rather than the nasty, old produce at the grocery store? LEDs shouldn't use that much electricity.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just sounds like hydroponics with more efficient lighting (i.e. LED).
    Lighting has been the big expense and energy hog of sunless growing in the past.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    How many LED's would it take to keep a garden going? Sounds like a heck of an expensive initial cost...

Gdogs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Pretty interesting. I've been looking around the various forums for survival info and started thinking about growing food. It has to be a big part of "End of Days" or just a good plan to keep your costs down. I've talked to a lot of people about growing your own food, canning/freezing and a lot of people use old surplus windows and make little houses, like the size of dog houses, to start and extend their seasons. I thought about getting one of those Harbor Freight greenhouses and using LED's run from a battery and an inverter (lights run in series) with a solar panel to charge the batteries. Don't know how many LED's, I just thought I'd throw some money at it and see what it does.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Just sounds like hydroponics with more efficient lighting (i.e. LED).
    Lighting has been the big expense and energy hog of sunless growing in the past.

That and the constant knocks on the door from LEO because the helicopter noticed a large heat signature coming from your back bedroom.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Don't you know?
    They can't do that anymore.

:D

I just remember a couple years ago I use to start my tomatoes and peppers in the dining room since it had an awesome rack for hanging the lights from. Of course this rack is right by a window that faces the street.

One day I am walking by the room and there is a cop staring at them from outside the window. Scared the crap out of me and apparently one of the nosy neighbors said I was growing drugs in my dining room. I busted out laughing and the only response I could think of is do you think I would be dumb enough to grow drugs right here? Thankfully he laughed and I stepped outside and we had about a 30 minute conversation about vegetable gardening.

I promptly moved my "grow room" into the back bedroom closet.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How many LED's would it take to keep a garden going? Sounds like a heck of an expensive initial cost...

Depends what you want to grow. Different plants have different lighting requirements. Things like lettuce - low. Things like tomatoes - high.

I've fiddled around with it for some years and for the avg person, the cost to raise a significant amount of food this way is pretty high.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Depends what you want to grow. Different plants have different lighting requirements. Things like lettuce - low. Things like tomatoes - high.

I've fiddled around with it for some years and for the avg person, the cost to raise a significant amount of food this way is pretty high.

I have done the same thing and come to the same conclusion. It's really expensive compared to buying the vegies, I may try bell peppers as I really like them but costs are high these days.

exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    I read an article on the Drudge Report that said 1 percent of the electricity used in the US is for indoor pot growing. The majority of that use is states where it is legal to grow, like Califorina.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    You guys have got some terms mixed up:

Hydroponics: growing whatever plants in whatever lighting, but instead of using soil you use water that has natural fertilizers and chemicals the plant needs. You change the water often and change what you feed the plant. This is like life support for a plant, and you can give it just want it wants more effectively than soil can.

LEDs are the new light system, but they are expensive and IMO overpriced. If you're seriously considering indoor growing of vegetables, spices, or whatever plants you're into :) I would go with a fluorescent light system. Fluorescent tubes are cheap, the fixtures are cheap, and they don't heat up. They're comparable to LED light systems but at a fraction of the cost. With both LED or Fluorescent, you'll need a red spectrum light if you are taking advantage of a plant's flowering. This is important with flowers, and I don't think you need a red spectrum light for veggies, but it helps.

I highly suggest growing your own veggies all year round, if not just in the summer. As a Chicago resident, we don't have access to fresh produce as readily as some IN residents. Oh who am I kidding the vegetables at Kroger suck just as much as they do at Dominicks. The only thing that sucks about growing your own delicious veggies is that you often grow far too much, and your friends don't want any more plastic bags full of zucchinis.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The LED's lights I've seen are cheaper than just the bulbs for my fluorescent system, cheaper to run, cooler to run, and the LED's have an insanely long life. This is for leafy greens.

Flowers and fruiting veges are a different deal. The light necessary for those is expensive whichever way you slice the current technology; LED or HID.

Top Bottom