• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I am deathly afraid of flying insects that buzz and can sting. Maybe an unfounded fear lol.

I have no idea how folks find it in themselves to keep bees lol

Props to you :)

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    It isn't just honey bees that are taking a hit I have noticed the bumble bees are on the decline too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just out of curousity, what's the shelf/storage life on honey?
    A long time, but honey can and will crystalise in the container. Just put it into hot water and it will go back to normal. Had that happen to virtually all my containers of honey over the winter. It's a pain but nothing big. Doesn't change the taste at all.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Honey is indefinite.
    I hate anything that flies and buzzes. Even big flies. Doesn't have to bite or sting, still puts me on edge. I would slap a hummingbird out of the air if I was fast enough.

You can buy real honey right off of Amazon. I buy everything on Amazon. I would buy local if I knew anyone. And thanks for the link to the sellers.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Hunters Honey in Martinsville I believe is still available at our local Krogers, but also along the M'ville Bypass. Good stuff.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Just out of curiosity, what's the shelf/storage life on honey?

Like the other guys said, it does pretty much last forever, but for long-term storage it should be in glass jars and kept in a cool dark place (same conditions as are recommended for storing almost all foods).

If (when) it crystallizes, just leave it alone. There is no need to re-liquify it until you're ready to use it. You will also notice that it darkens a little with age, but that doesn't affect the nutritional value or taste.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    For a long while hunters was supplying local meijer stores with honey but they don't anymore. You can still visit their store, find them at several of the local farmers markets and state fair, or do online orders

I've heard that he was getting a lot of his honey from china, Meier found out and that's why he's not selling there anymore. Definitely don't know that as fact, but that's what the "buzz" has been.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am deathly afraid of flying insects that buzz and can sting. Maybe an unfounded fear lol.

I have no idea how folks find it in themselves to keep bees lol

Props to you :)
    Likely its an unfounded fear... yes, you will get stung eventually if you have bees but unlike wasps, bees only sting once, and their sting is much more "tame". My wife used to be like you... she HATED bees...

But just the other days she was mowing right past the bee hives as if there were nothing there. The bees were extremely active, thousands of them flying right past her head. She does this several times a week and has never been stung... if you think about it, bees are busy, busy, busy, and the only thing they ever do is work. They know that it's suicide for them to sting you, and doing so doesn't help the hive at all unless they feel it is under attack. They are very non-confrontational about it and they will only sting if they feel its their only option.

I have bees primarily to supply myself with all natural sweetener for baking etc. I only sell honey if I have a big surplus. Last year I had a big surplus and sold about 40 lbs of honey. I'm expecting to have a surplus again this year. The honey-locust bloom was good thing year...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Another vote for Hunter's Honey Farm. Incredible honey, and great people.

They sell it in gallon jars, pints, and five gallon buckets (buy in bulk & save...I do).

Check them out: Home

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Greenwood Farmers Market always has a guy selling local honey. He's on the Indiana Beekeepers website, but I can't remember who he is right now. We usually buy a couple quarts a summer.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    After my Cousin started keeping Bees a few years ago I will never eat store bought honey again. I had a jar of store bought in the cabinet when he gave me the first quart..It went in the trash that same day.
    I really like eating fresh honey comb with a cup of coffee.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hunters honey farm south west of martinsville.family owned and nice people.

DING DING DING, winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

Down right awesome honey.

Tracey Hunter of Hunter's Honey Farm is the owner of a fourth generation honey farm,
    and he's a stand up person, I've known him for 37 years and we are both proud
    graduates of Mooresville High Schools Class of 1980. :D

Here's his web site: Home

and here's a list of locations where Hunter's Honey is sold.
    Outlets For Hunter's Honey Farm Products

Top Bottom