• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdog63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Everyone should stop buying 22LR and any other ammo for at least a month. The prices will come back down. Spread the word.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    aahuahua.gif

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Everyone should stop buying 22LR and any other ammo for at least a month. The prices will come back down. Spread the word.

You are correct. Ammo would appear on the shelves again and the panic would stop. Problem is I don't think it is shooters buying up the retail inventories. It is the ammo flippers and hoarders.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    i agree vert, i think a lot is just what you said. the rest just emotional, kinda like buying gold or silver after it goes up several hundred percent... if im worried about something catastrophic happening im not going to go buy .22 in hoards to protect myself.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't buy Gasoline or Diesel and the prices will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't buy milk and the price will go down!

Don't buy groceries and the price will go down!!!!t

Don't use electricity and the price will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't use natural gas and the price will go down!!!

Don't buy Guns and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't buy Sugar and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't but a new car and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't but a new washer/dryer and the price will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, does this all make sense?????????????

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You are correct. Ammo would appear on the shelves again and the panic would stop. Problem is I don't think it is shooters buying up the retail inventories. It is the ammo flippers and hoarders.

I would disagree. A lot of it is still people panic buying.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would disagree. A lot of it is still people panic buying.

Yep there is panic buying going on for sure. What is driving that are people going to the store and seeing empty shelves. So when they see ammo they figure they better buy it. Heck I do the same thing. If I see ammo at regular price I buy (doesn't go bad and I will use it). This has forced the gun shops to raise prices just so people don't buy out all the inventory. Wholesale pricing has changed very little.

So the question now is who is spending the time to stand in line to buy ammo?

If everybody just stopped buying it would break the cycle.

A10WEAPONSGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    that would work IF we could get EVERYONE to do that...but you're probably telling all of us to do that just so you can buy it all :laugh: but honestly if there where three 525 bricks at walmart you wouldn't buy them all??

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is probably true, but if you look at the amount of new people to our sport purchasing firearms, obtaining carry permits, etc. it is not hard to see why there is a shortage.

If gun purchasing continues at the rates it has been since around 2002 and manufacturers don't make significant investments in increasing capacity, then shortages may be the norm for a long time.

I have not been back in the shooting world for long, but long before I got back into it, shortages have existed. Not so much for ammo, but certain firearms have been hard to find. I have a friend who waited for over a year to get his Kimber 1911.

The title of this post says it all: Supply and Demand.

80 million NICS in the last 6-7 years, let's just say they all purchased a gun and 100 rounds of ammo. That equals 8 billion rounds of ammo. And this doesn't count all the rest of us who have been shooting guns for years and maybe haven't even bought one in awhile.

It we add another 16 million this year, that's another 1.6 billion rounds added. And that's just 100 rounds for each.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    that would work IF we could get EVERYONE to do that...but you're probably telling all of us to do that just so you can buy it all :laugh: but honestly if there where three 525 bricks at walmart you wouldn't buy them all??

This is the internet and no room for correct reasoning such as this. I think the 10% of people who are shooters have decreased their buying as a result of the craze. The other 90% are gun owners and are buying it when they can find it. Notice I seprrate shooters from owners.

As far as new gun purchases. I doubt those guns collectively won't see 100 rounds. Most guns are purchased, shot once or twice and stuck in a drawer or closet. Remember shooters vs owners. There they will sit protecting the owner from the boogie man like a magic talisman.

Point is I don't think it is people like us contributing to the craze. The only thing that changed about my buying habits is that I am buying less.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

No.

When I was a kid I would buy a box of 50 at a time.

Then in my 20s I would buy a brick at a time.

Now I buy a case at a time. Spending an extra couple of bucks per brick buying them one at a time just grates on me. If I could get an even better price break buying them a pallet at a time I probably would.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As far as new gun purchases. I doubt those guns collectively won't see 100 rounds. Most guns are purchased, shot once or twice and stuck in a drawer or closet. Remember shooters vs owners.

Point is I don't think it is people like us contributing to the craze. The only thing that changed about my buying habits is that I am buying less.

I agree. But the owners may still buy the rounds. Of course 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot.:D

I did recently purchase a revolver from a guy and he gave me two boxes of ammo minus 6 rounds that he had since he bought the gun 20 years ago. That guy matches your description.:) I have already shot it more than he did the entire time he owned it.

Same here on the buying less and I have started shooting shotguns.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    for some of us it isn;t a matter of panic buying or anything, i just try to keep enough on hand to shoot no less than 50 rounds per week. would prefer to shoot more but it is pricey.

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I would like to shoot more than I am able to now. I have a glock 23 and have shot it as much as possible but still have a little ammo for it. I recently acquired a 1911 and have had a very hard time getting ammo for it. I was lucky enough to find a 100 round box of federal .45 at a Beech Grove Walmart a couple of weeks ago and would like to find more but I am not going to pay the inflated prices. If I find more I will buy it but I won't stock up yet. This is about supply and demand, hopefully the demand will decrease so there will be more supply.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not hoarding but I am buying when I see it. I do not take it all but I will not pass up something I shoot on a regular basis. It hurts to shoot the 9mm and the 45 because my stock is getting smaller so I buy when I see it. I must also admit that I could not pass up a 300 bulk of 5.56 last week. I did not need it but it gives me a buffer now and can take the friends out to shoot. I also buy for my friends and their kids because an 11 and 12 year old with new 10/22's need ammo and I will not pass it up. it's for the kids for goodness sakes.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Well, since I bought 10K rounds of .22LR in the last two weeks, I'll take a break for a while. :)

Yeah, you have to take a break so that you can have time on the range. ;)
    I have about 3500 rounds of 22 and now I can go to the range and shoot like I used to without looking to make sure I have enough for next time.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Yeah, you have to take a break so that you can have time on the range. ;)
    I have about 3500 rounds of 22 and now I can go to the range and shoot like I used to without looking to make sure I have enough for next time.

Sadly, the only .22LR that I own right now is a bolt-action Ruger 77/22 with an AAC Pilot suppressor, so 10K rounds is a lot of bolt cycles! I'm planning to buy a dedicated .22LR upper for my M16 sometime soon -- then I'll have to be on the hunt for .22LR again. LOL!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Don't buy Gasoline or Diesel and the prices will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't buy milk and the price will go down!

Don't buy groceries and the price will go down!!!!t

Don't use electricity and the price will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't use natural gas and the price will go down!!!

Don't buy Guns and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't buy Sugar and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't but a new car and the price will go down!!!!!

Don't but a new washer/dryer and the price will go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, does this all make sense?????????????

No, your post makes no sense at all.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The demand is created by people buying more ammo than they ever would have before Obama's 2nd term and Sandy Hook. They are storing larger volumes of ammo because they worry about a time when they might not be able to buy more, or be restricted in some way. M4Madness has a bolt-action 22 rifle, yet he purchased 10,000 rounds of ammunition for it. If he fired 500 rounds per month, a large amount for a bolt gun, it would last him nearly 4 years. I'm not going to call that "hording", but it's more ammunition than most folks will buy, especially since he's not shooting a semi-auto.

The supply will return when enough folks look at their shelves and decide they finally have enough for their needs, should the government decide to restrict the sales of ammunition to lower quantities. There is VERY little chance of the morons in DC doing that, but that's still how some folks think. When the saturation point is finally reached it will put ammo companies in a difficult spot, because the demand will absolutely crash...and they know this. It's not like we haven't seen periods like this before.

When the next Republican, or defender of the 2nd Amendment takes office, the fear-mongers will quiet down again. The blithering idiots who have been buying up as much as they can, every time they can, will be stuck with a lot of over-priced ammo. Much of it will sit for years, maybe even decades, without being shot. A lot of it will be sold as part of an estate sale, years from now, for pennies on the dollar.

The "normal" shooters will just go back to doing what they've always done; keep a modest amount on hand and shoot when they feel like shooting. The demand will be moderate and the supply will be sufficient.

Top Bottom