• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I'm curious what my best path is to cover my needs for suppressors.
    Firearms to work with;
    .22 lr pistol
    .22 lr rifle
    9mm pistol
    .308 rifle

From what I have read in this section I'm guessing three. Both .22 lr items should be able to use the same unit. One for the 9mm and another for the .308. Is my understanding on this right?
    Second part, is there any place to research the different brands available with their performance? My thoughts are starting with buying into a .22
    :dunno:

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Any volunteers to bring one of their suppressed .22lr items out? I'll supply ammo, just want to see how drastic of a difference it makes. Does ammo make that much of a difference? I normally use the CCI that comes in the 335 pack.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm curious what my best path is to cover my needs for suppressors.
    Firearms to work with;
    .22 lr pistol
    .22 lr rifle
    9mm pistol
    .308 rifle

From what I have read in this section I'm guessing three. Both .22 lr items should be able to use the same unit. One for the 9mm and another for the .308. Is my understanding on this right?
    Second part, is there any place to research the different brands available with their performance? My thoughts are starting with buying into a .22
    :dunno:

Well... technically you could purchase just a .308 can and suppress ALL of those guns with the same suppressor. You might need a couple different thread adapters, but as long as a subsonic bullet can fit through the can, it should suppress the noise just fine.

However, a .308 can might be a little heavy on a .22lr pistol, but thats on you....

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Well... technically you could purchase just a .308 can and suppress ALL of those guns with the same suppressor. You might need a couple different thread adapters, but as long as a subsonic bullet can fit through the can, it should suppress the noise just fine.

However, a .308 can might be a little heavy on a .22lr pistol, but thats on you....

A 9mm bullet has a larger diameter than a .308. The .308 is 7.8mm, and the 9mm is 9.01mm.

The best suppression would be obtained by buying a .22 can, 9mm can, and a .308 can. If you went with Huntertown Arms, you could have all of them for $1827.29, including sales tax and tax stamps.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    always get the longest suppressor you can. You will not be sorry. But subsonic is best for absolute quiet.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I've looked at the Huntertown arms website and like what I've seen. I do have one question about the difference in the suppressors. The video from armed dynamics shows the kestrel 556 that unscrews about halfway down. The suggestion that this would keep the registered part unscathed if you blew the rest apart sounded great. Why don't they do that with the .22 lr cans? It really seems to make great sense.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've looked at the Huntertown arms website and like what I've seen. I do have one question about the difference in the suppressors. The video from armed dynamics shows the kestrel 556 that unscrews about halfway down. The suggestion that this would keep the registered part unscathed if you blew the rest apart sounded great. Why don't they do that with the .22 lr cans? It really seems to make great sense.

My guess would be that .22 cans are usually wanted as light as possible, and the extra threads would weigh it down. Thats just a guess though.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    A 9mm bullet has a larger diameter than a .308. The .308 is 7.8mm, and the 9mm is 9.01mm.

The best suppression would be obtained by buying a .22 can, 9mm can, and a .308 can. If you went with Huntertown Arms, you could have all of them for $1827.29, including sales tax and tax stamps.

So technically he could get a 9mm can then to suppress all of the smaller calibers?

I've shot a subsonic .22lr out of a .308 can and it suppressed just fine.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    So technically he could get a 9mm can then to suppress all of the smaller calibers?

I've shot a subsonic .22lr out of a .308 can and it suppressed just fine.

I doubt most 9mm cans are rated for rifle pressures, but in theory, if the 9mm suppressor were made to support a much more powerful rifle rounds, then the size would work.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    While I can understand the desire to have versatile suppressor to cover several hosts, I am of the opinion that it will not always give the best results.

For your .22lr pistol needs, I suggest getting a small all aluminum suppressor that is user servicable.

For your .22lr rifle or SBR/MG needs, I suggest it have the following specs.
    High volume.
    User servicable.
    Still be caliber specific to .22lr but yet capable of handling .17hmr.
    Beefier materials like SS will add to its durability and since it is utilized for a long gun, the added weight will not be an issue.

For 9mm handgun suppression, IMHO, just make sure you purchase a can that is adaptable. For example, if your host gun is a Beretta 92, you won't need a Nelson device, but for other guns it will be required for proper cycling. You can also use this on a 9mm SBR, even 300 blackout if only shooting subsonic ammo. User servicability, not needed.

For .308, I suggest buying a suppressor that is specific to this caliber. .308 is a high pressure round, baffle design, materials and bore diameter are critical for good suppression qualities. This will work great for the 300 Blackout, in fact, it will suppress better than a 9mm can due to the smaller bore diameter and larger volume found on most .308 suppressors. User servicability, not needed.

Yes, I advocate staying caliber specific. Yes, I know that is the expensive way to go, but IMHO, that will result in greater overall happiness with your suppression desires!

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN

I'm willing to bet their future .22 cans will be similiar to this. At the moment its not a big deals because .22lr cans rarely damage the tube

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I'm willing to bet their future .22 cans will be similiar to this. At the moment its not a big deals because .22lr cans rarely damage the tube

I may shoot them an email and see if this is going to happen. I would be more interested in that style. And who knows if they really want to make their customers happy make two different end caps. That way you could use a longer one for rifle and a shorter cap for pistol. Wonder if that concept is patented.... :D

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I may shoot them an email and see if this is going to happen. I would be more interested in that style. And who knows if they really want to make their customers happy make two different end caps. That way you could use a longer one for rifle and a shorter cap for pistol. Wonder if that concept is patented.... :D

We are not aloud to have extra parts, any part of a suppressor, is a suppressor in the ATF's eyes. I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the law. I would have used an abbreviation of the first part of the sentence, but that one always makes me laugh, and i don't want anything getting misconstrued.

Top Bottom