• ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Boonedock,

Why can someone hunt with a bow or crossbow that makes about no noise at all but I can't hunt with a sound suppressor. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?

Chuck

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I read through the thread but can't remember who brought up deer and turkey. I can't believe nobody pointed it out yet but I believe that deer and turkey were the game that would still not allow suppressors if the bill had passed...snip
    The bill would include hunting deer and turkey with silencers.

@boonedock: There are many states that allow hunting with suppressors, and several that have legalized it recently. To my knowledge none of these states are reporting problems with poaching using lawfully owned suppressors. With the fingerprinting, registration, $200 tax and the 6 month agonizing wait to get the silencer, most folks aren't inclined to use them in an unlawful manner.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.

@boonedock: There are many states that allow hunting with suppressors, and several that have legalized it recently. To my knowledge none of these states are reporting problems with poaching using lawfully owned suppressors. With the fingerprinting, registration, $200 tax and the 6 month agonizing wait to get the silencer, most folks aren't inclined to use them in an unlawful manner.

:+1: very well said!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Didn't say legalize it did I now dumbass, have you guys ever been out of the city at night durning deer season, or in the round about time frame? Besides your "deer camps" that you overpay for?

I'll have you know, I only overpay for hog camps.:D

That .22 wasn't deafining until you wanted it to be.....

No, when you shoot a .22 without safety gear, such as suppressors, you are still harming your hearing.

Legalize suppressors . . . wait for it . . . for the children. Won't you think of the children?:D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Did the language change some when it got moved from SB0243 to HB1279? I thought I read that it would be a Class C misdemeanor to take or possess a deer or wild turkey while using a suppressor.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Did the language change some when it got moved from SB0243 to HB1279? I thought I read that it would be a Class C misdemeanor to take or possess a deer or wild turkey while using a suppressor.

It was easy to miss read the language, it was never written that deer and turkey would still be a misdemeanor.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

No, the bill said that illegally taking a deer or turkey with a suppressor was a misdemeanor. It always said that.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Assuming that legalizing the use of suppressors while legally hunting will make an individual commit the act of illegal poaching is the worst argument imaginable, it's simply ridiculous.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    For a rational arguement, I don't see poaching as rising. Here's why:

- Most poachers (and I've worked with a few that like to brag, TIP is wonderful...) seem either opportunistic, or cheap. They happen to see a good buck, and take it, or don't want to pay fees, or are felons and can't posses firearms (except blackpowder) anyway. A suppressor for a deer-legal cartridge seems like it's in the price range of $400+, and a $200 stamp, and a 6 month wait. Doesn't fit with the "cheap" part, and I wouldn't expect a poacher to be driving around at all times with a gun and suppressor, which doesn't fit the opportunistic part. And if a felon, couldn't get a legal suppressor anyway.
    - Poachers, by definition, aren't LAWFUL HUNTERS (they're not lawful, nor are they hunters, they're poachers, or shooters), since when is any law going to matter to them one way or another? The act of poaching itself carries a greater penalty than using a supressor for taking game, and the hefty penalties for poaching still doesn't deter all poaching.
    - Poachers already have bows and crossbows at their disposal for quiet lawbreaking, and easier and cheaper to come by than supressors.

Boonedock, I know I never called you a terrorist, nor did I see anyone else say that, but I agree with the poster above (no time to scroll that far back) that said in a free society, we shouldn't have to ask "why?", only "why not?". It's a tool., legally obtained and posessed, that should be permitted to be used legally as well.
    I also disagree with not allowing rifle cartridges for deer hunting, I can understand where some people would see issue with those, but that's another arguement entirely, and not relevant particularly, to this thread. But the arguements brought up for the "why not?" on that have a tleast a small bit of basis in reality.

My :twocents:, now if you'll excuse me, my six days of 12 hour shifts begins shortly and I must head out to the grind...

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    No one even mentioned the worst part of this whole thing....

Now how in the Hell am I going to explain why I need these supressors to my lady friend?

I really dont like that a bill that made it all the way to the house can just not be voted on and allowed to die. That is not democracy! It is about time that the entire system changes.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    2gxfdcj.jpg

Cant wait til it does go through, .357 max 220gr soft lead bullets behind trailboss powder and this thing hardly makes a pop,

Last edited:
    Top Bottom