• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    Yes you need to use subsonic ammo if you expect your weapon to produce a low D.B. level. This is why you see most suppressors used on slow moving and heavy calibers like the 45 ACP. A suppressor will help on any firearm with reducing the exhaust noise, after all it's just a muffler. Most people are shocked at how much noise is made buy the bullet moving thru the air and buy the sonic crack that the bullet makes as it brakes the sound barrier. I have seen people that I thought were pros freak out after I show them just how much noise the bullet makes as it moves thru the sound barrier. Even a bullet moving under the speed of sound makes a lot of noise, like twirling your belt above your head, the buckle makes a swashing sound as it go's round and round. So if your thinking of buying a muffler for your gun, pick a big slow moving caliber for best results.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yes you need to use subsonic ammo if you expect your weapon to produce a low D.B. level. This is why you see most suppressors used on slow moving and heavy calibers like the 45 ACP. A suppressor will help on any firearm with reducing the exhaust noise, after all it's just a muffler. Most people are shocked at how much noise is made buy the bullet moving thru the air and buy the sonic crack that the bullet makes as it brakes the sound barrier. I have seen people that I thought were pros freak out after I show them just how much noise the bullet makes as it moves thru the sound barrier. Even a bullet moving under the speed of sound makes a lot of noise, like twirling your belt above your head, the buckle makes a swashing sound as it go's round and round. So if your thinking of buying a muffler for your gun, pick a big slow moving caliber for best results.

.22lr is the best to suppress for "total quiet"
    9mm is probably the best centerfire caliber to suppress **if you use heavy, subsonic ammo like 147gr**
    Contrary to popular belief, the .45ACP doesn't suppress all that well...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Some people need to experience more, post a little less.

Yes, .45 is very hard to suppress. It's about as quiet as 9mm and not as quiet as subsonic 9mm.

A guy I know has an Uzi with an old Gemtech can. He loads his own and when firing FA it sounds like a sewing machine.

5.56mm is awesome to suppress. Nothing beats the smile that it will put on your face except for maybe a pretty 9mm pistol with SS or .22 wish SS ammo.

My 11.5" AR is LOUD and when suppressed, it's pretty quiet. When shooting at the range, you can't really hear the supersonic crack on the other side of the berm. I'll usually bump a few rounds at a time when I get bored and the supersonic cracks all blend together since they last much longer. Try doing that unsupressed and the RO will be on your butt fast.

Pistols don't need a FH mount. I don't know where that comes from. I have seen ONE pistol that used a FH mount and that was for a joke- it was an AR can and the guy mounted the FH just for fun on his MkII. 99% of pistols will thread onto an extended threaded barrel.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I know it is not directed at me.

Now, if you would have just mentioned that ryanmercers post was incorrect, in regards to a QD device comming off WITH the suppressor, then it would have been a bit more clear. He was also not talking about pistols cans either. (To add, there are a couple of .22 and 9mm cans with "other" attachment methods, not just direct thread on.

That being said, ryans post is over a year old and, IIRC, he and I exchange some PMs regarding his mistake.

Me, I am just trying to make things a bit more "clear", and not add to any confusion.

Ooops, he was talking about pistol cans, yep, he was wrong about that too.

Last edited:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Oh yeah that too. I wasn't talking about him though. I tried to dispell that idea with some real facts. They only pistol can I know of is what's his name from ARF who made that cute little .22 QD. He can do whatever he wants. His cans are nice and Robert doesn't like him so he and I are buds by default ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They only pistol can I know of is what's his name from ARF who made that cute little .22 QD.

Gemtech used to offer a QD .22 can, as well:
    Seahunter-P22-cat%20photo.jpg

Gemtech Seahunter

BIGBRIZZI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Has anyone built a homemade suppressor and filled out the form 1..i think thats right. I have been wondering about how all that form 1 stuff works. Is it even worth the trouble?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's worth the trouble if you have an effective design. If you're flying by the seat of your pants, you may not be so pleased with the experience.

Top Bottom