• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johncarries

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    South Bend
    Upon researching, installing lawful silencers on your piece or long gun make good sense. Can a silencer or suppressor be installed on standard barrels for hunting and target purposes or do you need to purchase special purpose barrels to accommodate silencers? Thank you in advance.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Caveat: In rifle calibers, there are generally minimum lengths that suppressor manufacturers will still "warrant" their suppressors for.

Your average 5.56 suppressor warranty may say something to the effect of "not rated for a barrel less than 10" long" or similar verbiage.

I'm sure that some suppressors can handle it. Some can't.

For handgun calibers, though, I'm not sure there'd be a minimum length - but also wouldn't surprise me if there were for the "magnum" class cartridges.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The other thing to keep in mind is twist. Especially if you are going to significantly vary from your normal bullet weight in an attempt to get subsonic rounds. As an easy example, if your .223 rifle is 14 twist, thinking you're going to load up 80 gr subsonics might be risky (you'd really want something like 1/7)

-rvb

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    The other thing to keep in mind is twist. Especially if you are going to significantly vary from your normal bullet weight in an attempt to get subsonic rounds. As an easy example, if your .223 rifle is 14 twist, thinking you're going to load up 80 gr subsonics might be risky (you'd really want something like 1/7)

-rvb

Can you elaborate? Is it because this bullet weight and twist rate combination could lead to instability and baffle strike issues? Just curious.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The minimums on rifles are due to pressure. In a pistol caliber and length, you're not going to encounter the pressure levels you will with a 5.56 for example. It settles down a lot by the time you get to 10 or so. You may be able to load your own with a lower/flatter pressure profile, but that just begs some knobhead to put a factory 5.56 round through it and blow your suppressor to pieces. That would be expensive and inconvenient. Oh, and dangerous.

I'm planning to have my threading capability (among other things) online soon.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

-rvb

Excellent point. I know a bullet in your cited example wouldn't stabilize downrange and would wobble and tumble. If it did so immediately upon leaving the support of the rifling of the barrel, you'd see horrific baffle strike damage.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Excellent point. I know a bullet in your cited example wouldn't stabilize downrange and would wobble and tumble. If it did so immediately upon leaving the support of the rifling of the barrel, you'd see horrific baffle strike damage.

This is why I can't shoot the 60gr .22 LR stuff through my suppressor. Most .22lr barrels don't have a fast enough rifling to be sure of their stability.

Top Bottom