• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    What is the better tac light. I think I am leaning toward the trl because of price difference just wondering your ally's opinion. Thanks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've personally seen six broken TLR-1 lights and had one Surefire break. Streamlight wants money to fix theirs, Surefire replaced mine no questions asked. For me, if it's going on a gun it's gonna say Surefire on it.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I've personally seen six broken TLR-1 lights and had one Surefire break. Streamlight wants money to fix theirs, Surefire replaced mine no questions asked. For me, if it's going on a gun it's gonna say Surefire on it.
    By NO MEANS am I saying you're wrong, but Streamlight replaced my TLR-VIR for free. But maybe that's rare?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've broken 2 TLR-1's rather quickly, and not one of several X300's I've purchased. Like posted already, it's got to say Surefire before I'm mounting it to my firearm. Plus most of the parts are available on their quick ship page.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I've never broken a TLR-1. Maybe you guys should stop pistol whipping suspects, and get back to puttin' the "Booted" in JBT. But then again, I do go through boots quickly. lol

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    I will call stream light and get this warranty issue figured out first before I buy and update everyone on what they will and will not cover. I want to not spend a arm but also don't want to have to buy over and over. Thanks all

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    X300 without a doubt! If you can get an older one and not the U model I would recommend that, my 300U will damn near blind me if it splashes on a light colored wall in deep darkness.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Back in the day when the x300 were a little more pricey I would recommend the trl-1. However, with the price difference between them so minimal now, x300 all the way. I picked up my last x300 ultra on amazon for 150 around the holidays, which I thought was a hell of a deal.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Supposedly the X300 ultra is easier and more intuitive to operate, which could come in handy under stress. It's also very well built. PM amhenry and ask him. He has the X300 ultra, the TLR-1 and the Inforce APL. He said he'd take the X300 ultra or Inforce over the TLR-1 any day. The X300 is solid and he said it worked well for striking in a combatives class he took.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Just called strwamlight after reading this. I was told the limited lifetime warranty was the inner working are covered for 2 yrs the led for live. If the on/off switch dies in 2 yrs you're covered over 2 your b
    not is what I was told. JMTC

Mbomb3869

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Muncie
    I vote surefire for their customer service. I think both are awesome lights, but I haven't had any luck with streamlights customer service and ive had an awesome experience with surefires.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Jesus....I got suckered by someone bumping old threads to get into the classifieds..... :p

That said, the Surefire X300 is more than $100 more expensive than the TLR-1 (300 lumen). The TLR-1 HL is a steal at ~$130 with the X300 costing $120 more.

I would contend that going above 300 lumens indoors with night adjusted eyes is too much light. If you are reacting to a bump in the night and are just waking up, too much light can impair you as well as your intruder.

Outdoors, use what you can carry. No such thing as too much light out doors.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom