• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Buddy needed a little money and had a nice remington 870 20 gauge youth model, the only downside was a little surface rust on the reciver... what are my cheapest options?? Thank you all!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I picked up an 870 express and it had some surface rust on the receiver. I used 00 steel wool soaked with breakfree. Rust is gone, fiinish still intact.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have found that a liberal application of Break Free that is allowed to soak for 1 to 3 days seems to get under most of it and soften it up. I then use those solid copper pot scrubbers that you can find in grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc. These are soft enough that they don't seem to hurt bluing but will scrub that rust off pretty easily. Then you have to remove the copper color from the gun. I use Shooters Choice for that. I am amazed at the way that ole rust comes off this way and in lots of cases, leaves the gun pretty much like new. Try it.....John:D

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Very fine steel or brass wool and lots of oil will work wonders. I bought 3 rifles a couple of weeks ago that the previous owner had stored in a damp basement and as a result had quite a bit of rust growing on them. I used very fine steel wool, gobs of light weight oil and a bucket of elbow grease to remove the rust. Two of the 3 you can't tell there was ever any rust, the third just has a few discolored blotches on the bolt.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Thanks guys will give the oil and steel wool a try and go from there... I plan on getting an extension (+3) so if its off colored ill end up spray painting it all anyway, ...

I need to remove the rust before I paint it right?
    Is duracoat the best spray paint to use??

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    870's love to get a little rusty. In my experience over the years, its not worth the trouble cleaning it off. It just keeps coming back year after year as soon as you bring it out of the safe again.

Top Bottom