• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    There's a bunch of surplus military/LE Browning Hi Powers for sale on Gunbroker, running about $420 plus $30 shipping. I've wanted a Hi Power for my collection for some time now, and thinking about picking up one of these. Of course, they are beaters, but if it shoots well, fine for my purposes.

Has anyone here had any experience with one of these surplus Browning's?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I don't know anything about the Hi Powers, but, fwiw, about a year ago I bought a surplus CZ-75B from the same source. The guns came out of Israel and had the exact same lanyard on them, so I would guess the Hi Powers are also from Israel. It was dirty on the outside, with numerous scratches, but it cleaned up nicely and is a joy to shoot. The seller's description was accurate. Hope that is helpful.

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    We have had several batches of these come through, selling for $379.95 to $399.95. Even the best of them are well finish worn, but they are otherwise mechanically sound. They are FN manufactured guns, reimported by Century Arms. They would be a great buy for someone looking for a beater/truck gun or a refinishing project.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have done a lot of business with Gary Cole (CDI). The guns are always better than the description...in my experience. Ready carefully, especially regarding the bore.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    One thing to consider (per Massad Ayoob) is that some times these firearms were shot with 9mm (Uzi) sub machine gun ammo (before the armorers told them that's a no no) and that some have been found with cracked frames due to this...I can't remember the article or how common this was but Massad had said he had seen a few with this issue....I have not heard of any of these having that problem and this article was from the early 90's IIRC so it may have just been from the 1960's era guns....

My belief is that these are a great bargain at that price and the sub machine gun ammo problem may have just been on the earlier weapons from the 1960's when the Uzi was standard issue sub gun......

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I recently purchased one as a base for a carry gun project. The finish is rough, but the wear seems to be mostly external. Unfortunately, the Century Intl. import marks on the right side of the frame are very big.

My my plans are to remove the magazine safety, replace the safety lever and possibly change out the sights and hammer. It will then either be parkerized or Ceracoated.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I've been thinking about this as well. What gets me is when I start blowing up the pics, sometimes I see the FN proof marks on the frames and sometimes I don't. Get's me wondering where they came from and is CAI putting them together from spare Balken parts?

Top Bottom