• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    Never wanted a Makarov or Tokarev when they were $200.00, but now I do...

Has the market dried up due to an import ban? Think it may change with a human in the White House?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The mosin crate had some nice ones and a few not so nice ones. They get small amounts and they go quick.

to bad Sam Cummings at interarms is long gone. They always got the best of the best in surplus.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Some importer must go to Ethiopia and get a hold of a few skids of surplus like we have seen in some posts and articles on the internet. There must be some gems in this piles of firearms.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've had 1 or two of those old CZs in x25. Neat guns. Incredibly simple. LOUD. Fun to shoot. But HORRIBLE ergonomics.

I've also had at least one of the Chinese TT-33 type guns. For sure 1 was in 9mm. I'm thinking that I may have also had one in x25.

Same story as the CZ guns.

I now no longer own any of those things...and I'm OK with that.

The Mak family? I've only had a bastardized Walther PP clone known as the Radom P11. Good looking gun. Again - horrible ergonomics with a horrendous DA trigger. Wretched no good terrible horrible DA trigger. And it'd bite the web of the hand with the afore mentioned horrible ergonomics.

I've not had a REAL Mak.

With ammo availability, I'm not likely to pick one up even if I were to find one. An old buddy's dad used to have an old East German Stasi-marked MAK. I'd like to have that particular gun since I shot it when I was a kid.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Surplus dries up, because the surplus itself dries up. Maks and Toks, among other things, still trickle in whenever a cache in some faraway country is found (or when Esau the K-Var janitor "stumbles upon" another pallet of combloc goodies in a forgotten corner of their warehouse), but once those foreign supplies are tapped that is pretty much all she wrote. Imports/exports are tricky business, but less of it has to do with Sloppy Joe than with simple supply & demand.

Your best bet these days is the private market, or as others above have pointed out, retail shops. For the last several years I've had far better luck and saved quite a bit more money with WTS and WTB ads here and on other gun forums, than with dealing with retail.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Hold out for a German Mak, if only for the finish. They are the best looking. I've had Bulgarian, Russian commercial and German. Other than finish they all work like they should.
    Gave away or sold all of them. When my free ammo ran out they lost their luster.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I picked up a new Russian Makarov 9x18mm. It came with a holster, and two magazines in a nice box. Paid $79 for it. Now I kick myself for selling it.
    I hesitate to ask, how many decades ago did a NIB Mak with accessories go for $79?

Probably same decade I decided not to waste my money on a perfect Mosin carbine for $89. (I kick myself at least once a month just for that decision).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I hesitate to ask, how many decades ago did a NIB Mak with accessories go for $79?

Probably same decade I decided not to waste my money on a perfect Mosin carbine for $89. (I kick myself at least once a month just for that decision).
    Around 4 decades ago or close to it. I bought Mosin M44 for $59 each lol. Passed them out to my nephews. And bought 2 cases of Silver tip 7.62x54R for each I think that was running the same price as the rifles a case.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    Never wanted a Makarov or Tokarev when they were $200.00, but now I do...

Has the market dried up due to an import ban? Think it may change with a human in the White House?
    Tokarevs are still available.
    R guns and Aim surplus has them for $350
    I haven't seen Makarovs in a while.
    I think Bulgarian Makarovs were going for $500 at Classic Firearms a while back.
    A neat surplus gun available is a Zastava M70.
    R guns has them for $225.
    It's like a mini Tokarev in .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning.

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I've seen a lot at local gun shows lately. More Toks than Maks, but they all seem to be in good condition. Prices have ranged from $350 to $500 for the Toks from what I have seen.

Top Bottom