• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I work EMS. There are regularly 3-5 of us on the truck. We've been dedicating this month to "surviving" if something were to happen to the truck. In our trucks, we have our survival kits. The kits are very basic: 3 mylar blankets, 3 bottles of water, high protein/calorie bars, deck of playing cards.

I want to expand that into my backpack. I routinely carry my work stuff (rain jacket, stethoscope, pens, etc) in my bag.

What stuff would you guys recommend in my bag for 24 hours of "survival". Guns are off the table. I'm not talking urban survival, I'm talking truck wrecked in the middle of no where.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    These are nice and compact and actually dont taste bad at all.
    Amazon product ASIN B018F10SI4Also in the vein of bic lighters, make a bushcraft lighter.

Its a standard bic wrapped with two lengths of 1" Gorilla tape, with bank line wrapped between. both can be used as fire starters, or if you need cordage or tape.

1697768217278.jpeg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I assume you work in generally the same area all the time. The first question I’d ask is what the worst possible place to get stuck would be. Then I’d design my bag around that. How far would you have to walk to get back to civilization? Can you call for help? How long until help arrived? From there I’d design my bag. I wouldn’t worry about food since I don’t think we are talking about days of walking. So for me:

- Gummy bears for morale/quick energy
    - Water
    - Poncho/umbrella
    - Compass w/maps of local area
    - Power bank to charge phone
    - Necessary power cables

In Indiana it’s not necessary to get too crazy with gear if you’re just trying to walk back to civilization.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Unless there might not be any civilization to walk back to?

:nailbite:
    In that case: 30 days supply of water and enough books to wait out the initial groups of idiots killing each other off. Then when you get hungry again, step into the next phase.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I work EMS. There are regularly 3-5 of us on the truck. We've been dedicating this month to "surviving" if something were to happen to the truck. In our trucks, we have our survival kits. The kits are very basic: 3 mylar blankets, 3 bottles of water, high protein/calorie bars, deck of playing cards.

I want to expand that into my backpack. I routinely carry my work stuff (rain jacket, stethoscope, pens, etc) in my bag.

What stuff would you guys recommend in my bag for 24 hours of "survival". Guns are off the table. I'm not talking urban survival, I'm talking truck wrecked in the middle of no where.
    I'd go for a mylar sleeping bag they aren't much bigger when folded up, but will definitely keep you much warmer than a blanket. Inexpensive to make if you are a DIY person, and Inexpensive to buy if you're not.
    The guys have posted the other things you should have as well.
    I just wanted to let you know about the mylar sleeping bags.

Emergency Sleeping Bag x3, Life Bivy Sack, Emergency Sleeping Bags for Survival Sleeping Bag, Tac Bivvy Bag, Portable Thermal Sleeping Bag, Emergency Blankets for Survival Bag, Sleep Survival Shelter https://a.co/d/4CBtbDc

You can buy whatever quality you want this is just to give you reference.

A couple of good quality collapsible water bottles, and water purification tablets or other system to get clean water and store it in or on your pack. I say collapsible because when empty you can stash it easier until you can get it filled back up.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I started wit the basics on this site. I stash level 3s at the house. Keep a 2 in the camper and vehicles. Carry a 1 in my backpack

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I assume you work in generally the same area all the time. The first question I’d ask is what the worst possible place to get stuck would be. Then I’d design my bag around that. How far would you have to walk to get back to civilization? Can you call for help? How long until help arrived? From there I’d design my bag. I wouldn’t worry about food since I don’t think we are talking about days of walking. So for me:

- Gummy bears for morale/quick energy
    - Water
    - Poncho/umbrella
    - Compass w/maps of local area
    - Power bank to charge phone
    - Necessary power cables

In Indiana it’s not necessary to get too crazy with gear if you’re just trying to walk back to civilization.
    No. I work critical care transfers and we travel all over the state. Last shift we had a crew go to South Bend area, the week beofew that we had a crew go to Evansville. We've had crews go to Detroit and Chicago and Cleveland all within the past three months. We can literally be sent anywhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The gummy bear comment was well intentioned, but if that is included in your pack and is left in your rig, you will quickly end up with a gummy block. First hot day the bears will congeal into one big blob. I know firsthand. (passenger seat, not a BoB)

But hard candies like starlight mints or Jolly Ranchers will survive.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I volunteer with a local EMS and take a small bag that carries a few convenience items as I'm usually not in rural areas farther than 10 miles from the next town. Items in my go-bag:
    Socks
    Power bank /charging cord
    Sock hat
    Gloves
    Thermals
    Rain jacket
    BP cuff & Stethoscope
    Snacks / Nalgene for water
    Hand Sanitizer (our trucks never have any)
    Sunglasses
    Extra pens
    SMALL ziplock bag of basic meds for me/partner (Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Acetaminiphen, Asprin, Loperamide, Calcium Carbonate)

Items I carry on me:
    Wallet
    Keys
    Knife
    Flashlight
    Pens/Permanent marker
    X Shears
    Leatherman Squirt (For O2 bottles)
    Small Notebook
    Gloves
    Chapstick
    Wireless Earbuds
    Watch

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I volunteer with a local EMS and take a small bag that carries a few convenience items as I'm usually not in rural areas farther than 10 miles from the next town. Items in my go-bag:
    Socks
    Power bank /charging cord
    Sock hat
    Gloves
    Thermals
    Rain jacket
    BP cuff & Stethoscope
    Snacks / Nalgene for water
    Hand Sanitizer (our trucks never have any)
    Sunglasses
    Extra pens
    SMALL ziplock bag of basic meds for me/partner (Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Acetaminiphen, Asprin, Loperamide, Calcium Carbonate)

Items I carry on me:
    Wallet
    Keys
    Knife
    Flashlight
    Pens/Permanent marker
    X Shears
    Leatherman Squirt (For O2 bottles)
    Small Notebook
    Gloves
    Chapstick
    Wireless Earbuds
    Watch
    I have my work bag, which has everything I would need on a day-to-day basis, but I want something that will keep me safe during an event that might take a few hours to a day or two to get us help.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I do have a small bag (little bigger than a glucose meter bag) that I've thrown in before. It holds things like:
    Lighter with ducktape wrapped
    Ferro rod/striker
    Flat suunto compass
    Water purifier tabs
    X small twine on spindal (~50 ft)
    Small signal mirror
    Wet wipes/dude wipes
    Space blanket
    Couple of zip ties
    Sawyer water filter
    I'm sure I'm missing something. But it's got some things to make life easier if **** gets real.
    I'd be interested to hear what your guys came up with to carry!
    I really like my pathfinder stainless steel cooking kit/Water bottle. I'd strongly consider carrying it more if I went all over the state like you. Would make purifying Water amd heating your meal alot easier.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Having actually been in that situation with about a foot of snow on the ground and freezing temp because of a defective def system and supervisor that totally forgot about us after we called in saying were broke down, come get us with one of the SUVs, I can say keep your linen cabinet full of hospital blankets. Most of us kept a case of water either in the bench or under the airway seat. Keeping water there will save you from having to carry it all the time and leave room in your bag for other things that people listed above. If you're normally on the same truck like I was, look for those storage areas or cabinets that no one uses because it's too inconvenient and throw some MRE's in there. There's all kinds of places to store things on the truck, make use of it if no one else does.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    In addition to a ferro rod, I keep a sealed container of cottonballs which have been soaked in petroleum jelly. A ferro rod isn't any good if you cant find something dry to ignite. These cottonballs light super easily and stay lit for quite a while

Top Bottom