• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I don't hunt except for at the grocery store and I always hit my target always.

But seriously I lack the know-how to hunt track gut and anything else (to include cooking a peice of hunted meat and canning). I'm sure I'm not alone but has anyone considered hosting a hunting class where these aspects are taught?

Ofcourse I don't want to narrow this down
    To hunting so please feel free to include other topics.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I would definately host a hunting class. We would probably have to do it on public land because all of my spots just dont have the room to have too many people out at once. The only other land I have to hunt is a long drive and I would also have to get permission from about 20 other people to do it. I would be more than willing to teach it. I have about 20 plus years of hunting under my belt and I have hunted, field dressed, cooked and ate just about everything we have in Indiana. If we keep it to a class of about 5 or 6 I would also have all of the stuff we would need to do it.

I get more of thrill out of seeing new hunters harvest game, than I do if I do it myself. I have tought many people how to hunt and get around in the woods and its a lot of fun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm right there with you, BillyT. I'd love to get into "hunting", even if just small game. Just a good set of skills to have. Like you, I don't know where to start.

I've seen tons of books on cooking, canning, drying, and storing game. I think I can figure out that part. Its the finding, shooting (shot placement), gutting, and skinning that I have no experience with at all.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Msg 2 is back joining is a great way to get these skills I've had some light discussion with a member here about learning to hunt and field dress and had a face to face meeting with a member.last night about canning

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For those wanting to learn to hunt, start spending as much time in the woods observing. You will pick up animal behavior quick.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    One of the best effects of hunting is it toughens you to the elements. I do a lot of January and February hunting when no one else is in the woods and you'll learn very quick what kind of clothing you need WTSHTF.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm kind of the same place as you are. I grew up on a farm, but had one parent that was always anti-gun, so no hunting for me other than the occasional squirrel with the bow and arrow method.

But I've never had the opportunity to do field dress or actually GO hunting. One on one instruction time would be valuable for me. next step though, i think is finding a good rifle. (Maybe in the next several months I can afford it.) My dad has got a rifle I was trying to get from him, until I found out Indiana didn't allow higher power rifles for hunting anymore.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've got the hunting skills down but I'd be more into finding just a basic survival course more geared towards just basic survival tips and such.

Top Bottom