• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gummergif

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    REDACTED
    Rodents being a major carrier of various diseases, they generally aren't my go to as an emergency food source. That being said, if my group were lost/stranded by circumstance during an extended hiking trip, and the rodent were sufficiently blackened over a fire, and we avoided the brain and spine...

As such, I'm considering adding a couple of standard mouse traps to my camping gear and bug out bag. They're small, lightweight, and a proven design. We may even be able to come up with a few other MacGyver uses for them if need be.

Thoughts? Would you consider it worth the risk to eat a wild rodent if, for whatever reason, you were stranded away from civilization for days longer than you intended?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think if you were someplace with enough to make it a staple that the disease problem would be very prevalent. I think many of the diseases are carried by their fleas though.

But if you caught a handful and boiled them in a stew I don't see why not. In China if you order lamb chops it's in all likelihood rat...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Squirrels are rodents.
    Trade up to a rat trap and enjoy!

I read a story awhile back involving a guy who found himself stranded in a wilderness area out west with little food. A bad ice storm had him stranded for almost two weeks. He knew the location of a survival cache in a 5 gallon bucket that included a couple rat traps. He was able to catch enough squirrels to eat well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nothing kills rodents more than buckets. Anything open they can get into but not out of, they are a goner. I Stage buckets and bins in areas they run in the garage. Do it outside too with a few variations that have water. One particular set up killed tons but so does the classic with seed floating on top of the water and a stick learned against the bucket.

I know you are talking carry it, but find a container and set up near a food source. If I was going to carry, I would adapt some pvc tube to go in my pack. Dig it into the ground.

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    If I had no choice, as in nothing else to eat, yeah I'd eat one. But between foraging, trapping, possibly hunting if it was an option, I'd hope I don't have to go that rat... Route.

As eldirector and big box a junk said lots of other uses, and not limited to trapping mice/rats either. Not a bad item to have.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is a good thought. I imagine you could catch quite a few squirrels with some peanut butter and a rat trap.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    On a lighter note, a mouse or frog makes good bait for a large Musky, Pike or Bass. I would be inclined to go that route. Or use as bait for a crawdad trap.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    We use the T Rex rat traps for chipmunks. We bait with apple and a little peanut butter. We also have a lot of squirrels around. Every once in a while I will hear a lot of commotion and angry squirrel sounds, but they always get out. Over two years we have caught a lot of chipmunks, but never a squirrel. Which is good because I am not after the squirrels.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Yeah...after I get through my first 10k rnds of 22lr...

Or, you could set out 10 rat traps for squirrels and have some ready to skin when you wake up the next morning.

All without wasting valuable .22 ammo.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It never occurred to me to use rat traps outdoors for bushy-tailed tree rats.

I'm stuck thinking inside the "indoor mice and mousetrap placement" box.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I would not count on catching squirrels. They are tough smart hombres. I probably have a 10:1 squirrel to chipmunk ratio (started out 3:1 :)) and I have never caught one. I set out 5 traps and there are many times all 5 are cleaned out and/or tripped and empty.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You guys gave me a really great business idea: The Tactical Trap Company! All it would require is taking common mouse and rat traps, painting them flat black, parkerizing the metal parts, and finding a cool logo to apply to the base, and they would sell like, well, like anything else finished in black and called 'tactical'!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would not count on catching squirrels. They are tough smart hombres. I probably have a 10:1 squirrel to chipmunk ratio (started out 3:1 :)) and I have never caught one. I set out 5 traps and there are many times all 5 are cleaned out and/or tripped and empty.

Is it legal to rat trap squirrels when in hunting season? I've kept Duke #110's, live traps and rat traps in my "oh no" SHTF stash for years.

I've eaten 4 squirrels taken in my yard with the air rifle this season. (Don't forget the hearts and livers... :n00b:)
    They are on to me lately, all I see after exposing myself (on the porch) is running tails. This seems like a great time/opportunity to give the traps a try?

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is it legal to rat trap squirrels when in hunting season? I've kept Duke #110's, live traps and rat traps in my "oh no" SHTF stash for years.

I've eaten 4 squirrels taken in my yard this season. They are on to me lately, all I see after exposing myself (on the porch) is running tails. This seems like a great time/opportunity to give it a try?

You know that exposing yourself on the porch can lead to some legal troubles, right? :):

Top Bottom