• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I went to a gun auction and saw one of those SVD 7.62x54R rifles. I kinda liked it and wondered if anyone else around here has one? Seems like it would be cheap enough to feed. Are they fairly accurate say out to 200yds? I think one would be good to have around for WHEN the SHTF. I have 7 mosins so got that model covered.
    Can receivers be bought for them and parts kits?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    A real deal SVD or a PSL? HUGE difference in the operating systems and cost. PSLs run around +$900 while a SVD(Dragunov) is going to be +$3500.

SVD
    SVD-Original.jpg

PSL
    psl1236210614.jpg

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've heard the parts kits and builds can be unreliable. The Romanian made ones seem to be pretty nice. Still a lot of money for a semi auto gun, but the ammo is cheap and powerful.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't want to assume your mistaken, but 99.9% of rifles that look SVD-ish are actually overgrown AK's chambered in 54R. The Romanian PSL's are probably the most common. Good guns for the price, but the barrels are thin (thus "whip") and the receivers aren't built to handle heavy loads. Another option is to buy a VEPR, and build a VER'nov. Very accurate because of the heavier barrel blanks and receivers, and Molot stuff has a much better fit / finish than the Cugir built rifles. Here's a picture of mine:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    KBI Russian SVD Dragunov Izhmash SVT Fpk PSL Vepr : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

A REAL KBI currently at 13,000 20 bids.:popcorn:

Parts are rare and expensive, less than 150 were imported before the VRA agreement and thank Clinton for banning the NDM-86
    Your chances are better with a sporterised version of the SVD called a TIGR or TIGER, almost as rare and will cost you
    2900-3900 these days, with SVD gear 4000+The SVD try 7000-15000
    The same with NORINCO'S version the NDM-86 very expensive.

There are no US made SVD clones or builds.
    The only svd parts ive ever came across was furniture, muzzle breaks, thats it.

Grab something, the PSL's are coming over ONLY in mixed kits, NO MORE CUGIR BUILT etc.

Another option like said above is the Zastava m91 soon to hit around August-October, although will come in sporterised as well.
    word has it will have a nasty looking polymer hunting style stock and will not be milled, rumor is that it will not have a heavy barrel as well. The m91 model said to be imported looks like a M77 PS.:lmfao:

I would sell my entire collection for an svds.

svds.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    KBI Russian SVD Dragunov Izhmash SVT Fpk PSL Vepr : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

A REAL KBI currently at 13,000 20 bids.:popcorn:

Parts are rare and expensive, less than 150 were imported before the VRA agreement and thank Clinton for banning the NDM-86
    Your chances are better with a sporterised version of the SVD called a TIGR or TIGER, almost as rare and will cost you
    2900-3900 these days, with SVD gear 4000+The SVD try 7000-15000
    The same with NORINCO'S version the NDM-86 very expensive.

There are no US made SVD clones or builds.
    The only svd parts ive ever came across was furniture, muzzle breaks, thats it.

Grab something, the PSL's are coming over ONLY in mixed kits, NO MORE CUGIR BUILT etc.

Another option like said above is the Zastava m91 soon to hit around August-October, although will come in sporterised as well.
    word has it will have a nasty looking polymer hunting style stock and will not be milled, rumor is that it will not have a heavy barrel as well. The m91 model said to be imported looks like a M77 PS.:lmfao:

I would sell my entire collection for an svds.

My DREAM rifle :drool: Its even unfired with the box and all original accessories!

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    No SVD Dragonuv, ( passed on a KDI 100 for $6000.00 3 years ago-BIG MISTAKE!) but I do have the SVD Tiger and an FPK. The Tiger is every bit as fun to shoot as a Dragonuv.

If you want a SVD Dragonuv there is one on GB right now, one of the "KDI 100", and it is just north of $13,000.00.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I don't want to assume your mistaken, but 99.9% of rifles that look SVD-ish are actually overgrown AK's chambered in 54R. The Romanian PSL's are probably the most common. Good guns for the price, but the barrels are thin (thus "whip") and the receivers aren't built to handle heavy loads. Another option is to buy a VEPR, and build a VER'nov. Very accurate because of the heavier barrel blanks and receivers, and Molot stuff has a much better fit / finish than the Cugir built rifles. Here's a picture of mine:

The barrel is heavier I'm 95% sure the receivers are the same thickness.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    The recievers on a FPK/PSL is re-enforced at the rear trunion. The barrel are very thin for there length leading to barrel whip (string shots vertically) as iy starts to heat up.

I agree I have a Cugir built PSL. But I oft here of VEPRs with "heavier" receivers and I believe that to be an internet myth.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I agree I have a Cugir built PSL. But I oft here of VEPRs with "heavier" receivers and I believe that to be an internet myth.

The vepr uses an RPK receiver.

It is bulged on both sides of the trunnion. It is considered a heavier receiver arrangement for that reason.

It is not as heavy as a PSL built on a nodak receiver. Those things are tough as nails. It's ashame that the PSLs you can find generally have shot out barrels with no crown what so ever, and require custom fitting every single magazine to make them functional.

I went to the vepr 7.62x54r because of the headaches involved with the PSL.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Geez people! Too many choices! Headache is raging! :n00b: The one I saw at the auction on sunday said SVD on the tag and looked alot like the 3rd in the pic of milelr tyme's above. The rifle went for $3300 IIRC.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    GEEZUS......$3300 is a bargain. I would have snatched it up. It would have drained my account but oh well. I immediately bought a Polytech Spiker when I stumbled across it. Deals like that don't come around too often.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    The vepr uses an RPK receiver.

It is bulged on both sides of the trunnion. It is considered a heavier receiver arrangement for that reason.

It is not as heavy as a PSL built on a nodak receiver. Those things are tough as nails. It's ashame that the PSLs you can find generally have shot out barrels with no crown what so ever, and require custom fitting every single magazine to make them functional.

I went to the vepr 7.62x54r because of the headaches involved with the PSL.

My PSL's bulged front trunnion measures the exact same width as my RPK's. I haven't had the magazine issues with my PSL and it shoots on its best day 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Top Bottom