• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I've been contemplating a tactical double barrel shotgun. Something like the Stoeger Double Defense.

I anybody using one? What do you think of it?

Are there other brands I should be considering?

Thanks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like a lot of things I think that it depends on your situation. A 10 gauge 3.5 has 16 .32 caliber pellets, used inside it's effective range, it hits. Where I live ranges are short and I figure most "issues" happen at night when you may be shooting quickly from cover at where a muzzle flash was a moment ago.

Also double shotguns are going to be one of the last things leadership is likely to take, based on my observation of gun laws in other places over time.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I've got a savage (I think) 311 double 12 with a tritium front site. 20" barrels.No recoil pad...it's not my go to, bump in the night gun, but it does work well for it's intended use, but I prefer more available rounds.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    With a Stoeger what is the allure of a tac version vs the simple coach? (The over/under seems interesting as well)

someone made the comment about doubles would be taken last (maybe); but an attorney holding up one vs the other might matter in an HD situation.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    If you like it get it!
    I was shooting with some guys and one of them had what he called a "tactical coach gun" , not sure who made it but it was really cool
    All blacked out, had these cool machined hammers on it ,think it had some picatinny for mounting a light and it had some night sights
    I'd definitely like to get one for fun but if you're after an HD gun and have decided on shotgun I'd just get a pump that holds plenty of shells

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a hard time with gun mounted lights. You with a light on and me without where do you think my rounds are going. Doing a house clearing is not part of a husbands, boyfriends, or whatevers job description. Lights will get you shot if bad guy has a gun. If you have the need to use a gun at night ambient should be enough. You want the bad guy back lite which gives you an outline to shoot into.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Most of your reasoning has been debunked in the other thread or by most trainers.
    1) Proper use of a proper light WILL put the bad guy at a disadvantage.
    2) House clearing? How about when wife wakes you up and asks you to investigate " I heard something" sound? Do your kids sleep in your room?
    3) Lights WILL stop you from making the biggest mistake ever of shooting a wandering family member.
    4) Um, if the bad guy is back lighted won't YOU be front lighted?

I suggest you get some low light realistic training. It may be a real eye opener for you. Or not.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a hard time with gun mounted lights. You with a light on and me without where do you think my rounds are going. Doing a house clearing is not part of a husbands, boyfriends, or whatevers job description. Lights will get you shot if bad guy has a gun. If you have the need to use a gun at night ambient should be enough. You want the bad guy back lite which gives you an outline to shoot into.

I take it you've never actually trained with a weapon mounted light.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Intermittent use trumps constant usage.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    What works in the real world is not what some experts teach. I have lost friends in the real world that had to use a light which got them dead. It is how and when to use a light and a large percent of the experts have not been under fire. The very good ones have but they don't say their way is the best, it was just the way that worked for them.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    What works in the real world is not what some experts teach. I have lost friends in the real world that had to use a light which got them dead. It is how and when to use a light and a large percent of the experts have not been under fire. The very good ones have but they don't say their way is the best, it was just the way that worked for them.
    You need to get into a course at mtac, as far as possible. Sage has a course coming up and he will put your anecdotal experience into fact based reality. There is zero reason to not have a wml on a self defense firearm. This isn't combat, it's interior conflict in an environment rich with friendly movers.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    this entire thread is crazy. Tactical double barrels, lights getting people killed

I looked at the coach version of that shotgun. It looked pretty cool, i almost bought one for fun. I have a hard time thinking it could do anything better than a pump/semi in home defense other than a quicker follow up shot. The issue i see with it is that in a high pressure scenario it will be a lot tougher to reload, & you're already going in with less ammo. That shotgun doesnt eject shells. So you're going to have to pick them out and then try and slam two back in quickly and hope you dont fumble with them. But ive never been in a shootout with a double barrel and maybe you are extremely proficient with that platform. Just my thoughts.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    this entire thread is crazy. Tactical double barrels, lights getting people killed

I looked at the coach version of that shotgun. It looked pretty cool, i almost bought one for fun. I have a hard time thinking it could do anything better than a pump/semi in home defense other than a quicker follow up shot. The issue i see with it is that in a high pressure scenario it will be a lot tougher to reload, & you're already going in with less ammo. That shotgun doesnt eject shells. So you're going to have to pick them out and then try and slam two back in quickly and hope you dont fumble with them. But ive never been in a shootout with a double barrel and maybe you are extremely proficient with that platform. Just my thoughts.
    Generally a shotgun is sub optimal in any gun fight anyway. That said i do have a sawed off over under for fun. I have a very nice fn slp, a benelli, and a franchi. None of them are even on my consideration list for defense if i can get to an ar I'm getting to the ar over the shotgun in every conceivable scenario. My slp does have a wml, my tactical double barrel is getting one i think lol

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have lost friends in the real world that had to use a light which got them dead.
    I would like to see the AAR's on those situations. I've been all over and searched high and low and can't find any in the past 25 years. Person mistakenly killing family member are somewhat easier to find.

Top Bottom