• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a 70's sporter model, and got my son one of the newer models with longer barrel a few years ago. removing the overspray inside the receiver was a pita.
    But trigger polishing, buffer tube replacing, etc... I like them both equally. the plastic trigger stuffs on the newer model doesn't bother me.
    They're not quite sub moa, but between 1-2 moa with little $$ or aftermarket parts.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Buy a 10/22. If you can't afford it, sell the 597. I used to have a Remington Viper. It became part of the purchase of my 10/22, and that was a great decision.

Ah, you had a Remington Jam-o-matic too?

OP, don't buy a 10/22.

Only :sheep:buy 10/22's.

That and every Ruger I bought was rough out of the box. You'll have to spend at 50% more than the purchase price to make it passable.

Really, the 10/22 is great a platform of tinkering.

Last edited:

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I have owned 3 or 4 10/22's over the years and had problems with each and every one of them with FTE and FTF. I cleaned and oiled them appropriately and tried many different mags. I always had the same troubles even with brand new out of the wrapper mags.

i finally dumped my last 10/22 and bought the SW M&P 15/22 and could not be happier. I have about a thousand rounds thru it and can rapid fire all 25rds into the area of a quarter at 25yds. Extra mags aren't a problem at about $20 each

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Wanted to also add that I will buy 10/22's for about 150$ and flip them for about 225-250 depending on condition. I have thought about giving them another chance but, I really can't see one replacing my 15/22.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wanted to also add that I will buy 10/22's for about 150$ and flip them for about 225-250 depending on condition. I have thought about giving them another chance but, I really can't see one replacing my 15/22.

Umm, yeah... you're new here...

F*** is a dirty word on INGO; especially if you're not a dealer.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Umm, yeah... you're new here...

F*** is a dirty word on INGO; especially if you're not a dealer.

really? I don't go looking for them, it's more like if one of the kids that works for me, living paycheck to paycheck can't afford to eat well, if he has a 10/22, that's the deal I offer him, then I sell it to recoup my money and a little extra for my time.

i am definitely not one of those clowns that resells 22lr ammo at .15/rd. I absolutely HATE those people.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Ah, you had a Remington Jam-o-matic too?

OP, don't buy a 10/22.

Only :sheep:buy 10/22's.

That and every Ruger I bought was rough out of the box. You'll have to spend at 50% more than the purchase price to make it passable.

Really, the 10/22 is great a platform of tinkering.

That isn't a lie. I put about 1/2 a brick of .22LR through mine. I think only 1/4 of it made it through without jamming. Put it up for sale the same day.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    597s have a fundamental flaw. The receiver where the barrel mates is tapered and thin. The material is pot metal or some form of brittle aluminum allow. The barrel connects by a small wedge that is driven into a slot in the receiver below barrel. The underside on the receiver is not boxed in and the slot does not have a stop at the proper distance. You can very easily split the receiver apart by applying any torque to the barrel or over-tightening the wedge. Many 597s are already split and owners don't know because they 1. Never take the action out of the stock or 2. Aren't capable of producing groups tight enough to notice. I've personally seen this three times and have had a former Remington engineer from the Mayfield factory confirm it. A casual google search will provide several pictures.

A 10-22, or a 795 from the same factory, is a better, more accurate, more rugged choice. If it's pop cans at 25 yards, who cares.

I can can provide pics of two examples if some can explain how to post em from an iPhone

Top Bottom