• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ok... sold some gun stuffs and want to re-invest into some gun stuffs....

The single stack 9mm craze is starting to make me itch.... What I would like to buy is a deep conceal carry or a back up gun and the P290 seems to be it....

I'm not big on Open Carry... I understand the argument up and down... however its not in my personality to deal with attention. (not saying OC folks are attention whores or anything)

I honestly just don't want the burden. I also know myself enough to realize that I won't always want to strap in a large CC pistol either. I just don't like being restricted or weighed down with the hassle.

I have a Ruger SR9c right now when I want to carry a pistol and have the patience and time to put it on... however, I want a "pick up and go" option for those lazy days and better yet in the summer when I don't feel like having a ton of "equipment".

Anyways... I want something SMALL in 9mm and while the shield, xds and lc9 seem to be the ticket for most... something is drawing me to the Sig.

I have a few questions that might help me a bit....

1. DAO with a long heavy trigger pull with no other external safety.. I'm assuming with practice I can easily obtain accuracy with this setup... but for a pocket carry... is that adequately safe?

Please note I will never carry anything else in my pocket with it....

2. Function... ever hear anything bad about the pistol? All reviews I've come across have been favorable, but if anyone owns one and would like to chime in, I'd appreciate the info.

3. Price... MSRP is like $750... obviously Sig's aren't cheap, but what would be a fair price for a used P290 in very good condition?

4. Any other suggestions? I'm considering a .38 Wheel gun, but again...something is drawing me to this Sig. I've picked it up and like the way it feels, but have not been fortunate enough to shoot one.

Thanks in advance....

Mike

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1. Unless someone gets really carried away with feeling you up I don't see how you would ever have a safety problem with a DAO in your pocket.

2. Can't help you here.

3. I would recommend calling a dealer known for fair prices. For example, I have no doubt that Bob as PSS would be under MSRP, likely by a good margin, before we even get into used guns.

4. A Hyundai will get you where you are going but in your heart you want a Mercedes. I don't think I (or anyone else) can 'suggest' you out of this. It simply is what it is.

Happy hunting!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I've read quite a bit of negative feedback about the 290. It's what steered me to the Walther PPS. The 290 is definitely smaller though.

Save up for a Boberg XR9-S. ;)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I've read quite a bit of negative feedback about the 290. It's what steered me to the Walther PPS. The 290 is definitely smaller though.

Save up for a Boberg XR9-S. ;)

Beyond my price point for what I'm looking for, but that is a sweet looking little gun.

But for the money... I'll take a M1A :ar15:

:laugh:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've been kicking around the idea of picking one of these up myself. Check out Budsgunshop.com. They have the best prices I can recall seeing on them. Also, for whatever reason, the P290 listed on their site with the laser is only a few bucks more than the non laser version. Hope this helps.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    2. Function... ever hear anything bad about the pistol? All reviews I've come across have been favorable, but if anyone owns one and would like to chime in, I'd appreciate the info.

Here's a post I made a while back about the new P290 I purchased:

I got a new P290 and sent it back to Sig 3 times for light primer strikes. Sig finally replaced it with a new P290, but that weapon also experiences light primer strikes with 3-4 different brands of ammo.

Here's a link to my original post on the new
    P290:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handgu...d_on_sigs.html

Sig customer service refused to do anything other than replace my original P290 with another 290 that was just as bad. The original P290s had no re-strike capability (keep pulling the trigger hoping the 6th or 7th strike would fire the round).

Now the new P290s are labeled P290 Re-strike. I guess they had so many complaints that they decided to let you try to fire the POS 7 or 8 times before you threw it at someone in self defense.

I don't want to pee on your parade, but just thought I'd let you know about my P290 experience.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

I got a new P290 and sent it back to Sig 3 times for light primer strikes. Sig finally replaced it with a new P290, but that weapon also experiences light primer strikes with 3-4 different brands of ammo.

Here's a link to my original post on the new
    P290:

Sig customer service refused to do anything other than replace my original P290 with another 290 that was just as bad. The original P290s had no re-strike capability (keep pulling the trigger hoping the 6th or 7th strike would fire the round).

Now the new P290s are labeled P290 Re-strike. I guess they had so many complaints that they decided to let you try to fire the POS 7 or 8 times before you threw it at someone in self defense.

I don't want to pee on your parade, but just thought I'd let you know about my P290 experience.

No.. actually this is the type of feedback I am looking for :ingo:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Here's a link to my original post on the new P290:

Wow thanks. I guess I need to do some more reading.

GunDave007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    How does the restrike work? and is it immediate? It seems like it'd be easier to get the gun to strike once the right way than to restrike the primer.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought one of these last week. You just keep pulling the trigger and until the bullet goes off the hammer keeps droppping on the firing pin.

I have only put 50 through mine so far and first one didn't fire...but after that they all went off as expected. Long trigger pull but I had never fired one like this before. Need much more practice to get used to it. Trigger is very smooth in my opinion. Gun didn't seem as violent going off as my brothers LC9...but I plan on firing them side by side this weekend to get a comparison of triggers and feel.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    If you get a P290, you will likely have issues with it. If you get a P290RS, you may have issues with it. Sig has had a few real winners over the past 10 years and, unfortunately, some real duds. The P290 (in all its incarnations) is in the latter group.

I do not recommend buying one. Review the web for plentiful horror stories.

steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I have the 290rs and like it. Put 200 round through it of veryious hollow points and ball ammo with no problems. I had the original 290 and it sucked. I would say get the 290rs.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sounds like a bad Sig experience, they should be better for what they cost. JD if you still want a Sig, I've seen that they have a wide range for the price of a used one, like in a pawn shop I've seen some that were, if I remember correctly, like 425. That was in a Columbus pawn but I know that they were under 500.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Sounds like a bad Sig experience, they should be better for what they cost. JD if you still want a Sig, I've seen that they have a wide range for the price of a used one, like in a pawn shop I've seen some that were, if I remember correctly, like 425. That was in a Columbus pawn but I know that they were under 500.

I paid 499 for mine last week at Columbus Pawn here(brand new in box). He doesn't seem to be the type to jack up prices due to whats going on in the country...but from looking at Gunbroker I could have saved maybe 25-50 bucks buying it online and getting it shipped. I don't think that thats that bad.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I thought about getting one, but it is only a hair smaller than my Glock 26. I would recommend that to the OP.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Ok... sold some gun stuffs and want to re-invest into some gun stuffs....

The single stack 9mm craze is starting to make me itch.... What I would like to buy is a deep conceal carry or a back up gun and the P290 seems to be it....

I'm not big on Open Carry... I understand the argument up and down... however its not in my personality to deal with attention. (not saying OC folks are attention whores or anything)

I honestly just don't want the burden. I also know myself enough to realize that I won't always want to strap in a large CC pistol either. I just don't like being restricted or weighed down with the hassle.

I have a Ruger SR9c right now when I want to carry a pistol and have the patience and time to put it on... however, I want a "pick up and go" option for those lazy days and better yet in the summer when I don't feel like having a ton of "equipment".

Anyways... I want something SMALL in 9mm and while the shield, xds and lc9 seem to be the ticket for most... something is drawing me to the Sig.

I have a few questions that might help me a bit....

1. DAO with a long heavy trigger pull with no other external safety.. I'm assuming with practice I can easily obtain accuracy with this setup... but for a pocket carry... is that adequately safe?

Please note I will never carry anything else in my pocket with it....

3. Price... MSRP is like $750... obviously Sig's aren't cheap, but what would be a fair price for a used P290 in very good condition?

4. Any other suggestions? I'm considering a .38 Wheel gun, but again...something is drawing me to this Sig. I've picked it up and like the way it feels, but have not been fortunate enough to shoot one.
    Thanks in advance....

Mike

Kahr pm9. There is a version with a thumb safety and loaded chamber indicator.

Top Bottom