• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    WOLVERINES!!! Can you imagine a tank column on 150 beween French Lick/West Baden and Shoals or 450 between Shoals and Bedford?? Especially with the ever increasing number of Combat Vets in the area.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If they think they are horrified by their own government actions, they will not be able to comprehend the evil they would unleash by attacking civilians. They think a no knock warrant is scary, but dont compare when the entire city is out for THEIR blood. When the government, not matter what level, thinks of their own subjects as criminals or terrorists, that is what they will get. Humanity has as much cruelty as imagination, and I have a REAL VIVID ONE! Im not promoting violence, but when the government denies us certain things that were granted to us in the social contracts we have drawn up at the inception of this nation state, then claims that our own "elected" officials think its for our own good, then that dog just wont hunt. Contract violation in my book is similar to cowardice and an open disregard for citizen's lives. One day, and even soon, they will consider us terrorists or agents of destruction. Tanks may be cruising the streets, but most likely not. But the idea that they would consider deploying one rifle against the citizenry, is utterly disgusting in my mind. Dont "fight it out in your homes". We dont need martyrs, we need able bodies and rifles fielded. Martyrdom is for religious nut jobs and Robert Deniro in Taxi Driver, not a patriot. "My memory will live on with my death" crap is for the weak minded who cant understand that there not just tactics, but STRATEGY. Sorry for sounding like a nutjob, but I just get upset whenever I hear about Waco or similar, not because I identify with that fruitcake, but because of the government's overreaction of late to anything.

Hey IDCC: "Not bad for a bunch of kids" :D:D Great flick! Not a fan of movies in general, but man, that was a hoot!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Kirk you have it right. "As the USMC says "hunting tanks is fun and easy". "
    If you are wanting to stop tanks. You guys are thinking of stopping the wrong vehicles. It is much easier to stop the logdogs and then the tanks are useless. Tanks do not drive very far minus fuel and food for their crews.

Only a very cherry officer manuvures tanks minus infantry. Combined arms rules the battlefields!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If we go against our own military, play it like Red Dawn. If it's a Red Dawn TYPE scenario, guerrilla warfare the hell outta their supply lines. As I was told and agree with, FELT, not SEEN.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    To the original question, it's only tank country when a farmer can get a tractor in the field. Dry or forzen ground.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    On that note Glock21. A person with a little knowledge of the township/ county they live in, could turn prime dry land back into swamp here in the north central part of the state at least. Even in a fairly dry year.

There are alot of open drainage ditches here. Ever seen what happens when a fields drainage tile is plugged?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Rhino

What is that exactly. My first language is bad english.

or do you mean "Phougas" which is the army term for a phos/gas mixture we used in nam

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think originally the term referred to mines that are buried just below the surface of the ground. In this case, I'm referring to a primitive version of a mortar, also placed under the surface of the ground. I think I read about it in James Rawles' book, Patriots.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My understanding is more like a giant shotgun, with effect like a claymore. Blasting cap = Primer. Explosives = Powder. Misc Crap = Shot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, you're both on the right track. The version in the book is a large diameter pipe buried vertically with the bottom end sealed and of course reinforced by the ground underneath it. The propellant and stuff inside takes the path of least resistance, which is the opening at the top, then on to whatever is over it when activated. I think it was a tank in the story.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    AHHHH... Ok.

Rhino I know them as IED's. They are and have been very popular in war at least since WW II. Currently very popular in the Iraq Theater.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We're on the same page. When I think of "IED," I think in more general terms, but it certainly fits the category. It's similar in concept to the kind made with the copper plate over the top that deforms then becomes a projectile, except more of a mortar/shotgun type of deal that would be aimed vertically upward for exploiting the underside of vehicles.

Of course, more and more military vehicles are now being reinforced in that area (underside) because of the experience with a wide variety of IEDs used in Iraq and similar places over the last few years. When the book was written, it was not such a mainstream topic and the idea of an "up armored" Humvee was just an idea.

I have no idea how or if modern battle tanks are heavily armored underneath. If they were not before, I would expect that to change.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    IED is a term to identify a wide variety of devices that can be made from little to no time and material. The ones with the copper plates you refered to require a more advanced explosive knowledge as it uses a shape charge to throw the copper out at amazing speed and near plasma conditions.

And yes tanks are heavily armored in their bellies it is also the least heavily armored. So if I were going to attempt it that is were I would try it at.

Top Bottom