• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Anyone semi local (nwi but can drive if we figure something out) that does tanning???

I am interested in trapping & possibly interested in learning to tan hides. But the main thing is I don’t want hides to go to waste. Maybe I can get something back that is finished in return? I don’t know we can work out details after I find out if anyone around me is even doing it.

Raccoon red fox skunk occasional coyote opossum are my typical culprits but I also have the opportunity for beaver muskrat and otter (pending regulations and me learning the water critters) also have a few deer hides every year.

I know fur prices are down. I am not looking into doing this as a financial investment. I just don’t want to see critters go to waste and would be great to learn something along the way.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My cousin in law is trapping and self tanning. He is selling pelts at the farmers market for a good price. He too makes coyote hats that fetch $100. So there is money to be made. He's selling coon picks for $5.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My cousin in law is trapping and self tanning. He is selling pelts at the farmers market for a good price. He too makes coyote hats that fetch $100. So there is money to be made. He's selling coon picks for $5.
    I am sure there is money to be made I just cannot commit to that. And not really what I am looking for. Unless your cousin in law wants to hides to come his way, let me know!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've tried tanning a couple of hides in the past.
    One didn't turn out too bad, but no where near perfect.
    The other...we won't talk about that one.
    There are different methods of tanning, some using store bought chemicals and some using nothing more than hardwood ash, urea, water, and allum.
    It is a lot of work to tan a single hide whether or not you intend to leave on the hair.
    Different process for clean leather tanning (hairless) and all processes are messy.
    Unless you really want the experience, I suggest you find someone who does a lot it a lot.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My grandfather and I tanned a pair of deer hides many many moons ago (40+ years) and one is still hanging on my barn wall in good shape.

Lots of work, if your time is worth anything it’s not a money making deal. If it’s what you want to do it’s very rewarding.

The farmers market idea, partnering with an artsy/marketing type sounds like the best way to go to me.
    It gets the fur into local hands that may appreciate it. If I’m not mistaken most fur gets exported.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My grandfather and I tanned a pair of deer hides many many moons ago (40+ years) and one is still hanging on my barn wall in good shape.

Lots of work, if your time is worth anything it’s not a money making deal. If it’s what you want to do it’s very rewarding.

The farmers market idea, partnering with an artsy/marketing type sounds like the best way to go to me.
    It gets the fur into local hands that may appreciate it. If I’m not mistaken most fur gets exported.
    On a side note, I read somewhere a long time ago that it takes like 9 deer hides to make a jacket and seven hides to make pants.
    Might have been the other way around.
    Point being, deer hides have very thin leather on the belly area.
    The backs and sides are about the only parts usable for clothing.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    About no fur buyers anymore due to prices. A suggestion if I may, find a local taxidermist and ask him to do it, for a fee of course.

Local DNR officers can tell you about fur buyers in the state sense it is a requirement to be licensed by the state to buy fur.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I think the only decent way to tan without chemicals is to brain tan using the animals brain. But I hear it is a lot of work and would not think it worth doing for smaller animals. I was going to try it but never did due to time constraints.

I would guess chemical tanning would be the way to go but I am not familiar with the process other than letting a taxidermist
    do it and they send it out. Doing it that way is too pricey to make any money off the furs but works if you want to save a nice
    hide for decorative purposes.

Amazon product ASIN 0965867242

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Anyone semi local (nwi but can drive if we figure something out) that does tanning???

I am interested in trapping & possibly interested in learning to tan hides. But the main thing is I don’t want hides to go to waste. Maybe I can get something back that is finished in return? I don’t know we can work out details after I find out if anyone around me is even doing it.

Raccoon red fox skunk occasional coyote opossum are my typical culprits but I also have the opportunity for beaver muskrat and otter (pending regulations and me learning the water critters) also have a few deer hides every year.

I know fur prices are down. I am not looking into doing this as a financial investment. I just don’t want to see critters go to waste and would be great to learn something along the way.
    As mentioned, local taxidermists can do them for you for a fee. You can also cut out the middle man and take/ship them to the commercial tannery in central Michigan. Check out some taxidermy forums for other, possibly cheaper tanning options. As far as profitability, my taxidermist was paying $30-$40 per skin to have possum and coon hides tanned and selling them for $100-$125. She sold a couple dozen of them pretty quickly.

Top Bottom