• Status
    Not open for further replies.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I saw the poll and noticed it was closed as well.

If it is free for the site owners I would be very interested in being part of the beta group.

I primarily browse on my phone. Formerly on my palm centro now on my new motor devour which is droid based. My phone now can use my home wifi. Talk about a huge speed improvement over 3g.

Fenway? Mods? Will u hook a brother up and add tapatalk?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I Missed where fenway said no. It could be an issue but according to the tapatalk website it is seamless and retains the same owner controls. As well as being free for the site and having the option to control if it gets published on the tapatalk "web".

ANYONE have a link to the reason it was a no go?
    +1

It would be nice and was asked about before, they decided against it then. I don't see why they would change now

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I don't think anyone actually said no, I misspoke. I was asked about before and nothing came of it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'll toss my two cents in as someone who works in web hosting, the following is the opinion of the poster and does not necessarily reflect the views of INGO or it's staff.

Taking a website, which requires authentication, and piping all of the content of that site through a third party who's network you no control over from a security standpoint is a surefire way to get exploited. Tapatalk may be trustworthy as a company, but I can't account for the security of their system. If I were 100% responsible for INGO, I wouldn't want to risk Tapatalk being hacked, an in turn INGO being hacked.

How many times has T-Mobile been hacked and lead to entire contact lists of celebraties being published on the web? Link to the story.

It doesn't matter that T-Mobile was the one hacked. The headline reads Paris Hilton's cell phone hacked...... In the public's eye she's responsible for the leak.

Now, as a moderator of INGO, and one of the server administrators. If Fenway, and the rest of the staff decide that they would still like to set up Tapatalk, or any other plugins for that matter, I will happily assist to the best of my ability to provide the services requested, as securely as possible.

Thank you for the suggestion. It hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am no expert, so perhaps you can enlighten me if this makes a difference.

Their website says that all of the Forums Security measures are not affected. If that is true, then how would accessing the site through Tapatalk make it any more vulnerable than accessing it via browser?

Thanks!

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I'll toss my two cents in as someone who works in web hosting, the following is the opinion of the poster and does not necessarily reflect the views of INGO or it's staff.

Taking a website, which requires authentication, and piping all of the content of that site through a third party who's network you no control over from a security standpoint is a surefire way to get exploited. Tapatalk may be trustworthy as a company, but I can't account for the security of their system. If I were 100% responsible for INGO, I wouldn't want to risk Tapatalk being hacked, an in turn INGO being hacked.

How many times has T-Mobile been hacked and lead to entire contact lists of celebraties being published on the web? Link to the story.

It doesn't matter that T-Mobile was the one hacked. The headline reads Paris Hilton's cell phone hacked...... In the public's eye she's responsible for the leak.

Now, as a moderator of INGO, and one of the server administrators. If Fenway, and the rest of the staff decide that they would still like to set up Tapatalk, or any other plugins for that matter, I will happily assist to the best of my ability to provide the services requested, as securely as possible.

Thank you for the suggestion. It hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Isn't this basically the same as users who browse the forum using Opera? They pipe everything through their own proxy servers.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    In the internet business, when compared to the iPod, iPad, iPhone population, Android users are considered "statistically insignificant". :cool:
    :popcorn:

That is changing FAST because Apple has limited itself to one phone, where Android is an OS on multiple platforms. There are more and more Android phones coming, and being planned, as well as Android based tablets.

Android Dominates, Windows Mobile Plummets, iPhone Stagnant - PCWorld Business Center
    Android more than doubled its market share over the previous quarter--jumping more than 250 percent from 2.8 percent of the U.S. smartphone market to 7.1 percent.

The iPhone saw an increase of 0.3 percent--statistically irrelevant and essentially no gain at all.

It would be foolish to dismiss Android users as insignificant.

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    Just to throw another option out there...
    I'm an admin for a comparatively huge vB forum (over 850,000 registered members vs. 9000 here) and after fully vetting mobile app providers, we went with this one...
    Forum Runner - vBulletin Forum iPhone App

I'd like to request Forum Runner too. Two of the other forums I frequent are now compatible with Forum Runner. It makes it so I can read the forums on the go and not just when I am at home.

It is free to enable and takes less than five minutes.

See Forum Runner - vBulletin / phpBB Forum iPhone App for details.

iPhone only and no Android? bah! :noway:

:D

It may not be for android, but it's a start. It would possibly improve the forum by allowing more access to it for sharing information, which you would benefit from.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    After a recent major security issue with Tapatalk that involved several high-profile bulletin boards being infected and defaced, Tapatalk is pretty much a dead issue as far as INGO is concerned. It won't be added any time soon. Given the issues with that plugin, we are extremely hesitant to install any other similar plugin without doing some serious testing first. I'm not saying we won't do Forum Runner, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it if I were you.

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    After a recent major security issue with Tapatalk that involved several high-profile bulletin boards being infected and defaced, Tapatalk is pretty much a dead issue as far as INGO is concerned. It won't be added any time soon. Given the issues with that plugin, we are extremely hesitant to install any other similar plugin without doing some serious testing first. I'm not saying we won't do Forum Runner, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it if I were you.

Thanks for the reply! I understand your concerns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom