• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mcolson181

Marksman
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    SE Indiana
    Since the AK surplus mag market is pretty dry or through the roof I'm looking into some Tapco's. I've heard mix reviews so I was wondering what people thought on here and what a "decent" or "pre freak out" price is/was.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have mostly surplus but a few Tapco mags too. They are okay but they just don't lock as well as surplus. You could get them from various place for $9-$10 "pre freak out".

Classic Firearms has surplus Polish magazines in stock now for $25 each. I would buy 2 of those before I bought 3-4 Tapcos for $15 each if I was desperate.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I have steel surplus mags just sitting in the gun cabinet and ONLY take Tapco mags to the range (well, and a drum for ****s and giggles) because I have had zero problems with them. I hear the old Tapco mags had problems with fit and weak springs, but I've not seen any of that in the first two I got three years ago and haven't heard/seen any issues on the batch of 20 or so I ordered last fall.

I was buying the bulk packaged ones pre-panic and was getting them for around $5.50 each (less than $6.00 after shipping each because I bought a number 20 or so of them for me and other people).

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    iwearcowboyboots - What kind of AK are you using? My primary is a Polish milled 1960 and the Tapcos fit like crap in it. The plastic locking lug gets torn up being pulling in and out. I've thought about cutting the lugs flat and riveting down a metal lug.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    iwearcowboyboots - What kind of AK are you using? My primary is a Polish milled 1960 and the Tapcos fit like crap in it. The plastic locking lug gets torn up being pulling in and out. I've thought about cutting the lugs flat and riveting down a metal lug.

It probably doesn't matter, but both of mine are on stamped receivers. I've got a WASR and a Draco pistol.

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    I agree with the other replies, I like the surplus mags better, they feel stronger and are easier to load. Saying that, I also have quite a few Tapco mags. They feel cheaper are harder load up, but they do function fine in my weapons, which are all polish stamped. Fit as tight as the surplus mags.
    Sportsman's Guide has 3 black tapco for 22.49/24.99 plus ship pre-order, says available Feb 6 which is about the best I've seen lately. Also many coupons available.
    Tapco 30 - Rd. Ak - 47 Mag, Flat Dark Earth - 681084, 21 - 30 Rounds at Sportsman's Guide

There are used surplus mags available from 20-25 plus ship currently.
    I recommend getting some of each :D

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    Like everyone else, I primarily use surplus steels mags and I never have a problem with them. That being said, I also have 3 Tapco ak mags(one 20rd and Two 30rd) and have never had a problem with them. I use them in a Polish AKMS and a Hungarian AMD 65. For range use these mags are great. Got the two 30 rounders at the last 1500 for $8.95 a piece, the 20 rounder came with my AMD 65. The steel mags will be my go to war Mags. If you can find them for a good price now with all the panic buying going on, get them! I am not a huge fan of Tapco, but from my experience, They work! :)

Top Bottom