Taser Self-Test (Don't try this at home!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Here's an oldie but goodie! I'm sure many of you have seen this before...but it's still funny! I still laugh when I read this....hope you do too!

Last weekend I was at Larry's Pistol & Pawn looking for a little something special for my wife, Renee. I came across a 100,000-volt pocket taser. Its disabling effect on an assailant was described as short-lived, with no long-term consequences, but would allow my wife--who would never consider a gun--adequate time to retreat to safety.

WAY TOO COOL!!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded two AAA batteries and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed, but then I read (yes, I read the instructions) that if I pressed the taser against a metal surface and pushed the button at the same time, I'd see a blue arc of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs, to verify that it was working.

Awesome!!!

I have yet to explain to Renee that new burn spot on the face of her microwave.

There I was, home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right? I sat there in my recliner, reading the directions, my cat Gracie looking on intently. Trusting little soul. I got to thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh and blood moving target. I admit I thought about zapping Gracie for a fraction of a second. She is such a sweet cat, but if I was going to give this device to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised.

Am I wrong?

So there I sat in shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, and taser in another. The directions said a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant, a two-second burst would cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control, and a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. A burst longer than three seconds would be a waste of batteries.

I'm sitting there alone, with Gracie looking on, her head cocked to one side as if to say, 'Don't do it.' But I was reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny little thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one-second burst, just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up from my recliner, and body slammed us both onto the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, tingling legs, nipples on fire, and testicles nowhere to be found.

SON-OF-A... That Hurt Like HELL!

If you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a taser, you should know that there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You will not let go of that taser until it is dislodged from your hand by your involuntary violent thrashing about on the floor.

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was relative at that point) I collected what wits I had left, sat up, and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they get there? My triceps, right thigh, and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it was shot up with Novocaine. My bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. And I'm still looking for my testicles!!

I'm offering a significant reward for their safe return.

Still in shock,

Jacob

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our son had to go through a certification process in order to carry a taser for his police department. Part of the process was he had to be tased. He said it was horrible, but a great tool for law enforcement.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My son is a C.O., he had to get tased three times as part of his cell extraction team training. He said the one in the leg hurt, but really wasn't too bad. The one in the arm really hurt and the one in the chest almost made him pee himself.
    They had to extract one inmate and afterward they did their review. The guy with the taser said "I hit him like eight times and he kept fighting" another officer said "you dumba**, you were tasing me."
    I hate getting little shocks, I will never voluntarily allow myself to be hit with a taser.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    ehhh...someone correct me if I"m wrong, I may be, but from what you described....a stun gun, not a Taser®. From what I understand about stun guns...I have one that is 1 or 2 million volts (not sure) they are less potent than a "taser®" a taser® actually stops our muscles from working where's a stun gun inflicts pain to try and disable an attacker.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they make Tasers in a form that doesn't fire prongs that works the same way as a stun gun.

I've hit myself in the leg with a stun gun before, it does hurt, but if you're pumped up on adrenaline or drugs, it won't do a thing. :/

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's funny, but it's fiction. "Stun Guns" sting a little and that's about it. Well, some sting pretty good, but it's not something that disable anyone or discourage most people. Might make them mad, though.

Tasers are different story.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's funny, but it's fiction. "Stun Guns" sting a little and that's about it. Well, some sting pretty good, but it's not something that disable anyone or discourage most people. Might make them mad, though.

Roger that! I was (voluntarily) tased once. I do not care to EVER have that happen again.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    OK. Not as an argument, but because I am nearly clueless about the differences between a stun gun and a Tazer (other than one shoots out barbs, and the other is basically a hand-held contact unit)

I was always under the assumption that they work off of the same principals, only the Tazer would be more positive, as it will follow the target after the initial contact...

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    OK. Not as an argument, but because I am nearly clueless about the differences between a stun gun and a Tazer (other than one shoots out barbs, and the other is basically a hand-held contact unit)

I was always under the assumption that they work off of the same principals, only the Tazer would be more positive, as it will follow the target after the initial contact...

Very different animals! Stun guns feel like you're being pinched or stabbed with a fork per say haha. That's how I'd describe it. Never been tased but from what I've read the AMPERAGE on is set to match that of the human nervous system thus actually interfering with muscle movement instead of just "shocking" you. And most of them pulse so you can't control your muscles. I've seen plenty of vids where people just drop from being tased. (both barbs have to hit you though) vs stun guns just kinda hurt. I have one for fun. That's about it.

The movies lie. No contact stun gun works like a taser does. Stun guns can scare people who don't know about them though. Just discharging them looks kind of scary.

Don't bring a stun gun to a gun or knife fight though!

Also, in INDIANA you have to have a LTC to carry a TASER.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title35/ar47/ch8.pdf

Cheers!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Tasers essentially make most of your skeletal muscles spasm and cramp all at the same time. Few very motivated people can fight through it.

Stun guns are pain compliance at the point of contact. In my opinion, any effectiveness in stopping someone is psychological. They won't even slow down a determined attacker, much less stop them. The movie scenes where they drop to the ground unconscious is not even good fantasy.

Blanquito82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    UK
    I've had the "pleasure" of being both tazered and pepper sprayed. Maybe it was the insane corrections level pepper spray (comparable to fox for any LEO's) or maybe I'm just a big sissy. I'd rather be tazered, once a day every day for the rest of my life, than to ever get sprayed again. That being said, they're both extremely effective tools.

mastermayhm069

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010

hahaha, ^THIS.... Tasers will get your ass goooood

Top Bottom