• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Now, I've never read a Taser manual so I do not speak to the veracity of the claim in this article, but if it's true it's a point in favour of those who equate Tasers with torture. Can any of our resident officers speak to this? Does Taser recommend tasing people in the groin? It would seem to be rather excessive and cruel to me, if true. A shock to the torso's one thing, but there should certainly be body sectors that are off limits and the head and groin area should be right at the top.

From California Men's Centers

My complaint with the Taser relates to men’s rights specifically. And I have been shocked that virtually no one, including Amnesty International, has had much of anything to say about this specific issue. Taser International, in the user’s manual that comes with every Taser, states the following, “application of the Taser to the genitals is PARTICULARLY EFFECTIVE.” Taser openly encourages the use of the weapon on the groin. For the stun gun mode, or “drive stun” mode, Taser strongly encourages that it be rammed into the genitals of a person before shocking the genitals with 50,000 volts, resulting in severe burns and destruction of the tissue and nerves in most cases. Impotence is a known side-effect of the Taser due to its destruction of nerves and tissue in the penis when used as directed by Taser. In fact, a police officer sued Taser for causing his own impotence after he was shocked with a Taser while qualifying to carry one.
    Even worse, Taser International, upon purchasing the patent over 10 years ago, altered the design. Originally the Taser had 1 laser site which showed where the uppermost dart would strike the victim, while the lower dart would strike approximately 8 - 12 inches below that, before shocking the victim with 20,000 volts. The darts were smooth and could be easily removed. Police complained that the weapon didn’t hurt people enough, and that the darts could be pulled out by the victim before they were incapacited.
    Taser International solved all of these complaints by putting fishhook-like barbs on the speared projectile, making it very difficult to remove them without ripping flesh. The upped the voltage to 50,000 volts. And they increased the angle at which the lower projectile fires to cause it to strike before the waist and as near to the genitals as possible. But they did not add a second laser site to show the user where the lower dart will strike, making it difficult to avoid shooting the genitals if the shooter does not wish to. The vast majority of the time, when the Taser is fired at a man from the front and the laser site it focused in the area of the solar plexus just below the sternum, as instructed by Taser, the lower dart harpoons the genitals almost every time, before sending 50,000 volts through the testicles, up the spine, into every organ the nerves of the testicles are connected to, which includes the stomach, kidney and heart, and finally into the upper projectile.
    In most instances, the testicles are only bruised and slightly burned. There is a little blood either from the hole it makes in the penis or the scrotum. And if the person was only Tased for the minimal 5 seconds from a single Taser gun, there is often no permanent physical damage other than burns. This, of course, says nothing as to the psychological damage of being sexually tortured in a situation in which the man is almost always unarmed and non-violent and often has his friends or family present to witness his sexual torture.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can any of our resident officers speak to this? Does Taser recommend electrocuting people in the groin?

"electrocute" means "to kill by electric shock," so no, I really don't think TASER International advocates this.

The article you posted is obviously trying to further an agenda at the expense of the truth. I've seen a copy of the TASER owner's manual, and the reference it makes that's even remotely related is:

The ADVANCED TASER® works as a stun gun with or without the Air Cartridge in place. Even with the Air Cartridge in place, the metal prongs on the front of the ADVANCED TASER® will deliver T-Waves directly to the body of the target. Shown below are the most effective places to use the stun gun. The touch stun works more effectively when aggressively applied to pressure points on nerve bundles. This involves the mastoid, ear, jugular vein, and pelvic triangle.

But that's not the same thing as the groin, and does not mention the genitals specifically.

Further, the darts spread at ~12" per 7 feet of distance. The genitals are an awfully small target to hit "almost every time," given that kind of separation rate and the varying distances that confrontations can occur. I call :bs: on the whole thing.

An acquaintance of mine who is a TASER Instructor once related a story where a member of the German GSG anti-terrorist team took a probe in his... member... during certification. He suffered no lingering effects other than the rather obvious and immediate ones. :eek:

ETA - the TASER manuals can be viewed on-line at TASER - Home in the "downloads" section. The X26E model, which is the one carried by most LE agencies, contains the following language:

WARNING: Avoid head, face, throat, or groin exposure unless officer safety dictates otherwise.

RECOMMENDED DRIVE-STUN AREAS FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT
    When officer safety is at risk, drive the X26 into the following areas for maximum
    effectiveness.
    Carotid (sides of neck) (see warning below).
    Brachial plexus tie-in (upper chest).
    Radial (forearm).
    Pelvic triangle (see warning below).
    Common peronial (Outside of thigh).
    Tibial (calf muscle).

WARNING: Use care when applying a drive-stun to the neck or groin. These areas are
    sensitive to mechanical injury (such as crushing to the trachea or testicles if applied
    forcefully). However, these areas have proven highly effective targets. These areas should
    only be targeted when officers are defending themselves from violent attacks. Refer to your
    department’s policy regarding drive-stuns in these and other sensitive areas.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I bet that hurts as much as this...
    ouch.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A look around the web came up with this, which discusses the drive stun. It has a warning attached to it that would seem to indicate that the testicles could well be involved.
    RECOMMENDED DRIVE-STUN AREAS FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT

Drive the M18/M18L into the following areas for maximum effectiveness.

• Carotid (sides of neck) (see warning below).
    • Brachial plexus tie-in (upper chest).
    • Radial (forearm).
    • Pelvic triangle (see warning below).
    • Common peronial (outside of thigh).
    • Tibial (calf muscle).
    WARNING: Use care when applying a drive-stun to the neck or pelvic triangle. These areas are sensitive to mechanical injury (such as crushing to the trachea or testicles if applied forcefully). However, these areas have proven highly effective targets.

The triangle includes the testicles and penis. While the warning only mentions the chance of crush damage, it doesn't mention the equally devastating damage that could be inflicted on the sensitive areas encompassed in that region. If there's any agenda it would seem to be that the author would like to see the practice stopped since it clearly could be construed as torturous and potentially crippling.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes, drive stuns to the groin are allowed. I've doen this twice. Both times to people who were whacked out on something and not feeling any apin. Was trying to get both handcuffed. One of them actually kicked the wagon driver in the knee (while he was cuffed) and broke it. Both time I drive stunned to the side of the neck with no effect. I then moved to the groin and neither time did it have much effect in the groin. That is how hyped up they were, neither felt ANY pain. Groin is drive stun only...not a probe stun. SInce it is not a probe stun, a drive stun is 100% pain compliance. Deploying the probes is how we disrupt muscle movement and the person "locks" up and cannot move, there is some pain compliance with probes but it is the muscle disruption where it shines. I've been tased and I could not move one inch, it hurt but I could not move at all.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    You are to avoid those sensitive areas which include the head, chest, and groin when it comes to probe deployments. Although this is not always possible do to the dynamic situations Officers encounter. Denny you may be aware but i and taser recommend that you deploy the taser point blank in those type of situations that you speak of if possible. Deploy probes point blank and then follow up with an angled drive stun. This will give you the full body lock up and incapacitate the individual.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny you may be aware but i and taser recommend that you deploy the taser point blank in those type of situations that you speak of if possible. Deploy probes point blank and then follow up with an angled drive stun. This will give you the full body lock up and incapacitate the individual.
    Hmm, never thought of that. I guess that makes good sense though. I will remember that. It's rare that I have to use my Taser...I think it's been a year since my last deployment.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've deployed my Taser several times. The vast majority of those have not been drive stuns. Generally if I'm going to drive stun someone...we're already physically fighting...and I'll take whatever target I can get to. I have to disagree with this statement:

The vast majority of the time, when the Taser is fired at a man from the front and the laser site it focused in the area of the solar plexus just below the sternum, as instructed by Taser, the lower dart harpoons the genitals almost every time...
    Most of the time I make a shot at center mass...probably from an average distance of 15 feet and I've never seen a probe strike below the belt. I have seen pictures where a subject caught a prong in the eye and a video where a prong impacted the scalp and cause a seizure.

I'd have to break out my training manual...but what is the downward angle of the lower projectile? 12 degrees comes to mind...but I can't say for certain.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    Just reading the title sent a pain in the unmentionables. That area should really be off limits for most all occasions.

Top Bottom