• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I really got pissed looking at these photographs. :xmad: I'm no armorer, but before I jack up my gun, I will take the time to pull up something on YouTube, ask a friend, post something on INGO, or take the thing to a shop! Why pry, poke, gouge, and scratch up the finish if you don't know what you are doing?! Yeah, that guy is...different.

I'm glad someone got the gun that can appreciate and care for it.
    That's what I don't understand. I know it's just a Taurus. But I happen to like the Taurus 1911 products. Why would someone pay $550 for a beautiful gun then tear the crap out of it??? To forcibly pry it apart...break several pieces...then throw it in the back of a cabinet and call it a piece of junk... :xmad: I know $550 isn't a ton of money...but I work for mine and don't have it to throw away like that.

I've got a lot on my plate right now, so me learning how to take it completely apart and repair what he jacked up probably won't happen until after Christmas...or maybe the Super Bowl. Damn...I've got too much going on... ;)

I really don't want to send it back to Taurus in this shape. It's pretty obvious the damage is due to negligence and abuse. The warranty isn't going to cover it. And I don't want anyone...not even a stranger thinking I'm the one that jacked it up so badly. Maybe I could use a fake name... :):

Anyway...if I can repair it and keep it under an additional $150 I'm still in good shape.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The original owner probably doesn't treat any of his stuff with much TLC. I'm an expert on denting trucks on fixed objects and letting my stuff rust, but I'm not that bad!

You might be able to solve the problem of the broken lever for the firing pin block with a simple fix (i.e. a series 70 firing pin), unless you want the firing pin block to be fully functional.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    That's what I don't understand. I know it's just a Taurus. But I happen to like the Taurus 1911 products. Why would someone pay $550 for a beautiful gun then tear the crap out of it??? To forcibly pry it apart...break several pieces...then throw it in the back of a cabinet and call it a piece of junk... :xmad: I know $550 isn't a ton of money...but I work for mine and don't have it to throw away like that.

I've got a lot on my plate right now, so me learning how to take it completely apart and repair what he jacked up probably won't happen until after Christmas...or maybe the Super Bowl. Damn...I've got too much going on... ;)

I really don't want to send it back to Taurus in this shape. It's pretty obvious the damage is due to negligence and abuse. The warranty isn't going to cover it. And I don't want anyone...not even a stranger thinking I'm the one that jacked it up so badly. Maybe I could use a fake name... :):

Anyway...if I can repair it and keep it under an additional $150 I'm still in good shape.
    Just a Taurus?!? Shame on you.....Taurus makes some quality firearms,especially their 1911's. More to the point,I don't care if it's a Hi-Point or a Bryco,it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    well thats nasty. What posiible excuse could someone have for doing that?
    for the plunger arm you can buy titanium coated pieces that are suppossed to reduce trigger pull or you can buy shims and eliminted the firing pin safety altogether.
    If you were so inclined. It would help the trigger pull out even more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can we arrest the guy that did this for abusing a fire arm. These things come right apart if you are not drinking heavily. This is just sad. No Taurus fan but it is a 1911.

purduepurdy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Have a friend with a Taurus 1911. He likes it but something on the safety broke and he sent it back. They fixed it but shipping was murder. Not to derail the thread but do you have to ship it overnight if you are not an FFL? He paid a bundle on shipping to Miami. Great gun otherwise.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have a pt1911. it was my first 1911 and I love it. You are probably right that he did not put it back together right. there are parts that come out of it that don't on my springfield and they are tricky to get back in. it is also a series 80 so there could be a problem there as well. either way i would buy it

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have a taurus pt92 that the decoker stopped working properly, call taurus on thursday afternoon. Friday mourning had fed ex at my door to pick up the weapon. Tuesday morning woke up to the sound of fed ex knocking on my door with my repaired gun. Taurus took 4 days to fix and return, cost me nothing. Call taurus first, explain what the person did, they warranty the weapon pretty much no matter what. Good luck.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I have a PT1911 9mm and am having problems too. It doesn't alway pull out spent cases and jams. I checked the extractor and it won't hold the round on the bolt face, so I'm going to send it in for warranty work.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Just a Taurus?!? Shame on you.....Taurus makes some quality firearms,especially their 1911's. More to the point,I don't care if it's a Hi-Point or a Bryco,it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that!
    Oh, I know. ;) I happen to like Taurus products. Some of their triggers leave a little to be desired. But I've never had an issue with any of the ones I've owned. Some people stick their noses in the air over them. To each their own.

The issues with this one is clearly operator error and, well...just plain being a dumbass...IMO. "If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer" should never be applied to firearms.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    OK...here's what I know. I did confirm with the previous owner that the firing pin safety plunger lever is broken. Although he wasn't able to confirm why it broke. :n00b: He is also convinced this part is specific to the Taurus and no other 1911. Perhaps this part broke then he made things worse prying the gun apart if the slide locked up.

Brownell's as well as Midway USA both carry the part for only $2.99. Now...I again must stress that I have never taken a 1911 apart past a field strip. So again...please excuse my ignorance. Can I safely assume that replacing this part won't be as easy as just dropping it in? It would have to be fitted...correct?

If so, then I can safely say that we're now waaaaaay over my head. And I guess my options are find a gunsmith to do it for me or send it to Taurus. I can comfortably sink another $100 +/- a little into it and still remain ahead of the game. Much past that and I may be throwing good money after bad.

What do you guys think? What would a task like this cost from a qualified individual?

*Edit: Jet Girl...I downloaded the info you sent me but have only had time to skim through it. There may be more info in there...as I get time to get deeper into it. And if I didn't say it...thank you for the info.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would say that that part is a drop in part. it does not have to have an exact fit. It just needs to raise when you pull the trigger.
    The fact that it is there will make the gun a little harder to reassemble but I don't believe you should need a smith.

As long as you don't use a pry bar to get the gun apart.
    Pull the grips off and with a hammer and punch, punch the pin out at the bottom of the frame that hold the mainspring housing in, slide it straight down. your 3 finger spring should fall out at this point.

Next you will have to slightly "pry" on the right side of the Ambi safety to get it to release, it is just a press fit and does have to be pryed loose. it shouldn't take a ton of force.
    After that is off put the hammer in the cocked position and raise the left side of the safety up and wiggle and pull straight out Do Not Pry. That holds the beavertail in.

Next turn the gun with the left side facing the table and push the 2 small pins out. they should require no pressure.

Turn the dust cover end of the gun up and shake. the trigger group will fall out at this point.
    BTW this is a great time to refinish the gun :)
    You don't really have to pull the whole trigger group out to change that part. After you get both pieces of the safety of all you have to do is slide the one pin that holds the hammer in place far enough out for the plunger arm to come out and a new one to be slid in and reassemble in reverse.

Caution when reinstalling the 3 finger spring. Make sure the left finger is on top of the sear when you get it in. If not you will know right away when you try to cock the hammer so it is not like you will get to the range and have an issue.

A couple of function checks should follow reassembly.

One: cock and dry fire the pistol keeping your finger pressing the trigger rack the slide to make sure the hammer doesn't follow it down.
    After racking but with the hammer still cocked and you finger still pressing you should feel a distinct reset while letting off the trigger. (it's not a safety check I just like that feel) :)

Next check both of your safeties. obviously the thumb safety. It should only engage with the hammer cocked, see if it works with the grip safety depressed. If so the turnm the safety off and see if the hammer will drop without squeezing the grip safety/

You Tube has a wealth of info on reassembly as well

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    *Edit: Jet Girl...I downloaded the info you sent me but have only had time to skim through it. There may be more info in there...as I get time to get deeper into it. And if I didn't say it...thank you for the info.

Quite welcome.
    If you're not pressed for time to get it up and running, just go through those pages with YouTube nearby (as AllenM said) and the Taurus in front of you. Sounds like you've got a reserve of help here at INGO...any of these guys will be at your 1911 beck and call.
    Not me, though... I'm no beck and call girl. :D
    Good luck.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    OK...here's what I know. I did confirm with the previous owner that the firing pin safety plunger lever is broken. Although he wasn't able to confirm why it broke. :n00b: He is also convinced this part is specific to the Taurus and no other 1911. Perhaps this part broke then he made things worse prying the gun apart if the slide locked up.

Brownell's as well as Midway USA both carry the part for only $2.99. Now...I again must stress that I have never taken a 1911 apart past a field strip. So again...please excuse my ignorance. Can I safely assume that replacing this part won't be as easy as just dropping it in? It would have to be fitted...correct?

If so, then I can safely say that we're now waaaaaay over my head. And I guess my options are find a gunsmith to do it for me or send it to Taurus. I can comfortably sink another $100 +/- a little into it and still remain ahead of the game. Much past that and I may be throwing good money after bad.

What do you guys think? What would a task like this cost from a qualified individual?

The factory told me the firing pin safety jammed and caused my extractor to break.

The customer service is pretty easy to work with. If you are persistent they will send you small parts free of charge. They also emailed me a shipping label to cover shipping it in for repairs. Now that the repairs have been made it performs flawless.

Top Bottom