• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife has latched onto my Taurus 605. I thought I would buy a S&W airlight for her so I could get mine back. The local gun dealer had one, but wanted $559. I told him that was $100 over retail and he said he wasn't coming down, and if I could find one for retail I should buy it. Well I had already checked and knew that wasn't going to happen. I handled the S&W. Dry fired it DA and SA and decided It wasn't any better than a Taurus. So I got on gunbroker and ordered a model 85 NIB for $289. Should be able to get it Thursday. Does anyone know, if it does not specifically say +P on the barrel, if there is a problem shooting + P? It is a steel frame, not the UL.:dunno:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife has latched onto my Taurus 605. I thought I would buy a S&W airlight for her so I could get mine back. The local gun dealer had one, but wanted $559. I told him that was $100 over retail and he said he wasn't coming down, and if I could find one for retail I should buy it. Well I had already checked and knew that wasn't going to happen. I handled the S&W. Dry fired it DA and SA and decided It wasn't any better than a Taurus. So I got on gunbroker and ordered a model 85 NIB for $289. Should be able to get it Thursday. Does anyone know, if it does not specifically say +P on the barrel, if there is a problem shooting + P? It is a steel frame, not the UL.:dunno:
    Went to Taurus web site...downloaded full catalog...found order number...wonderful, it is +P rated.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They are decent handguns. My wife has one that was built in 96 and it's a very nice, dependable firearm, although heavier than the Smith. That's even a pretty good price, they were going for $300-$350 pre panic.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    They are decent handguns. My wife has one that was built in 96 and it's a very nice, dependable firearm, although heavier than the Smith. That's even a pretty good price, they were going for $300-$350 pre panic.
    Thanks. After handling the S&W and feeling how light it was, I was afraid she would not be comfortable with the recoil. She is picky. And she is comfortable with my 605 which is the same gun, just tiny bit longer cylinder.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I bought my fiance a Taurus Model 85. She loves it. Probably one of the best handguns Ive ever purchased. Becasue she hated all my semi auto handguns because of the brass flying out of the gun towards her. But she will shoot the Model 85 all day long.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Buy with caution!

I bought my wife a brand new taurus 651 (.357 shrouded hammer 5 shot) and the trigger pull was probably about 18 pounds...not exaggerating.

My wife could hardly pull the trigger and when slowly staging the trigger the cylinder would go out of time and not fire..

I LOVED my original M85...wish I still had it, but the new taurus stuff does not get my dollar these days.

God bless
    -Shred

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Buy with caution!

I bought my wife a brand new taurus 651 (.357 shrouded hammer 5 shot) and the trigger pull was probably about 18 pounds...not exaggerating.

My wife could hardly pull the trigger and when slowly staging the trigger the cylinder would go out of time and not fire..

I LOVED my original M85...wish I still had it, but the new taurus stuff does not get my dollar these days.

God bless
    -Shred
    It's already paid for. I will test it out and send it back to Taurus if I have any problems. My 605 and 65 are both new enough they have the locks in the hammer...no problems yet.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I've had my Model 85 at least 20 years. I also checked it out before purchasing it to make sure it was +P rated. The Taurus was the Charter Arms was not.
    I'm sure you will like it.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I would of told that dealer that customers will remember who tried to take advantage of them during these silly times. I wouldn't go back to the place if it where me. I'm happy to say that the shops near me haven't really raised their prices and I think that's a wise business move.

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I've had a couple of them over the years and sold them for who knows why. One thin I would advise is not to dry fire without snap caps. I had one bugger up the firing pin screw doing that, and I've read of it happening to others. Other than that they were always good guns.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Bouggt one for my wife last year. She loves shooting it and the recoil is not an issue for her. I have fired a few +p rounds thru it and the recoil is much stronger compared to the regular. 38. Also had a few cylinder lock ups when firing +p. I jave her use regular. 38 hollow points for self defense and use the +p .38 in my. 357. The heavier frame on the. 357 handles the added recoil nicely. Excellent carry pistol for a woman and simplicity is key.

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I would try a Wolff spring kit first, cheap and easy to put in and then if that isn't good enough... polish the mating surfaces of the moving internals, not the sear. There are videos on youtube.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Title is great....sounds like you want to trade a Taurus for your wife....I hope she is not on ingun. My wife likes my heavier simple cheaper Charter Arms 38 special. That is what she like to carry.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks. After handling the S&W and feeling how light it was, I was afraid she would not be comfortable with the recoil. She is picky. And she is comfortable with my 605 which is the same gun, just tiny bit longer cylinder.

An older Model 66 is snub nose would be about perfect for a woman. And there is one for sale in the forums. And no, a Taurus is NOT as good as a S&W. Ask an HONEST gun dealer who sells both, which he has more returns and repairs for. At least that has been my experience in it. I thought seriously a few years back about buying a Taurus, until I started researching them. That is when I decided to spend a little more for a reliable weapon.

Taurus revolvers are far better than their semi autos...but that isn't saying much. Usually in life, you get what you pay for. And the reason we carry, is to PROTECT our lives. I refuse to arm anyone in my family with a sub standard weapon. But each to their own.

BTW...you can pick a nice S&W model 65 up for under $400 used. In nice shape.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Title is great....sounds like you want to trade a Taurus for your wife....I hope she is not on ingun. My wife likes my heavier simple cheaper Charter Arms 38 special. That is what she like to carry.
    HaHa...Does kinda look that way. If that were the case...She is Italian and cooks really well...and no she doesn't get on INGO. And also...if that were the case...I could say something like, I bought a S&W for my daughter and girlfriend...but a Taurus is ok for my wife. Haha. Just kidding. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon and try to shoot it some tonight. I'll report back and let you know if it shoots straight or if it falls apart.:D

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Picked up the Taurus this evening. She likes it, but didn't want to go out in the rain to shoot it. I told her I was going to try it out...she said "No you're not. I'm shooting it first." Then told me to get my gruggy hands off it. LOL maybe tomorrow. It's identical to my 605. I'd say less then 1/8 inch difference in cylinder length. I'm very found of the 605, so I'm sure I will like the 85. Not a S&W or Ruger but it will have to do.

Top Bottom