• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Ok. Well I guess I will be the next to test Taurus' customer service/warranty. Came home today instead of going to PB on my half day off and got out my fav pocket pistol, the TCP since I had not practiced with it for a while. The first two mags went great and I was shooting better than usual with 5 of 6 off the first mag on the spot. Then I had FTE's on the 3rd mag and thought it was just me. Upon further inspection I found that the extractor has broken and possibly bent the loaded chamber indicator. ARRHG my summer carry is down and out!!!
    I will fill out Taurus' online form next and send the TCP to them. I have contacted my LGS so that he knows that it will be coming to him on the return so that I can pick it up.
    Am I missing anything here?? I have not had to do this before and don't want to screw up.
    After finding out how much it costs to properly send a firearm back to Taurus ($88 Fedex, not worth it on a $200 gun) I decided to just order the extractor kit and do it myself. The extractor cost $10.06. They charged 7.16 to ship it. Total: $17.22.
    No problem, right? The reply/order email from Taurus stated that the order was going Fedex Ground and went out on 6/19. It is now 6/24 and have not received the part so I called Taurus and waited for ~30 minutes to get to speak to someone. Nice enough lady and the following is not her fault. So she finds my order but not after NOT finding it with Taurus' order number. She then tells me that it was shipped via USPS and not Fedex. Well no wonder it is not here yet. I feel that they took liberty with my order and overcharged for what could have been dropped in a USPS 2nd day box for less money and told the truth. Any way, I'll still get the part(s) eventually and all will be good. What in "H" is wrong with business in this day and age. Scratch that. Dumb question.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Taurus usually sends a label for $50, if they don't pick up the tab (supposedly within 90 days of purchase). Usually your LGS can beat anyone's shipping rates it seems. Hopefully you get yours going when your parts arrive...

Also, not that you did this, but if you load a single round through the ejection port, it can damage the extractor...just didn't wanna see it happen again IF you ever loaded a round this way.

Last edited:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Also, not that you did this, but if you load a single round through the ejection port, it can damage the extractor...just didn't wanna see it happen again IF you ever loaded a round this way.
    Thanks for the tip. How is loading it through the ejection port different than using the mag? Does the case slip up and behind the extractor when coming from the mag versus hitting the case and the extractor having to jump over the case's side upon closing if loaded through the e. port?

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the tip. How is loading it through the ejection port different than using the mag? Does the case slip up and behind the extractor when coming from the mag versus hitting the case and the extractor having to jump over the case's side upon closing if loaded through the e. port?

Basically, yes. It depends on the pistol but always load from the magazine to be safe. If you wanna load to capacity and get the +1, just chamber a round from the magazine, drop the magazine, then load the mag to capacity. Your extractor will thank you for it.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I had a Taurus PT 24/7 a couple of years ago ... it was old, at least 20 years. It had laid around unused for at least 10 years and I started shooting it regularly. Then when cleaning it one day I noticed that there was a hairline fracture on the metal face near the firing pin. Thinking this was undesirable I sent it back to Taurus. Of course they had upgraded this model in the years since it was made and couldn't replace the frame, so they sent me a new PT 24/7. It DID take them 3 months and near the end of the 3 month period a number of phone calls trying to find out repair status. Maybe because I was adamant about following up on the status resulted in action (finally). But the new PT 24/7 functioned flawlessly (I shot over 8,000 rounds through it) and recently traded it. and Taurus does have a lifetime warranty on its firearms ... the warranty is on the firearem and not the purchaser, so it doesn't matter who owns the gun, the warranty is still valid.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Glad they were helpful, Ive not had such luck. I had a 709 that broke and extractor and the person I spoke to was rude and said theyd have to inspect at my expence before determining if it was under warranty even though it was bought new by me and only had less than 150 rounds through it.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Glad they were helpful, Ive not had such luck. I had a 709 that broke and extractor and the person I spoke to was rude and said theyd have to inspect at my expence before determining if it was under warranty even though it was bought new by me and only had less than 150 rounds through it.

That makes absolutely no sense. EVERY Taurus is under a lifetime warranty.....no matter how old or how many owners. Shipping ONLY is on the owner if it's past the 90 day mark....something is not right here.

stocks52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Warsaw
    I bought a Taurus 709 Slim and can't get mags for it. I have been told for 2 months now that they are on order. The pistol came with just one mag. The mags are selling on Ebay for over $100.00 I just don't understand it. I have used the phone and the chat line and never had to wait for very long until I was connected.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I bought a Taurus 709 Slim and can't get mags for it. I have been told for 2 months now that they are on order. The pistol came with just one mag. The mags are selling on Ebay for over $100.00 I just don't understand it. I have used the phone and the chat line and never had to wait for very long until I was connected.

Yep, I miss my 709 but only had the 2 mags for it. Taurus better get their act together. The rumor was that MecGar was in the process of taking over Taurus magazines but I think it's a toss up now. 709 magazines are a real problem....part of the reason I ditched it and got the PT111 G2. It's basically a double stack 12+1 version of the 709. My 709 never gave me a lick of trouble in the 5 years that I owned it. I really really really don't understand how a current production firearm can be next to impossible to get magazines for. I've had good luck with Taurus but they sure have some strange issues going on there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you stalk ebay, you can pick up hard to find mags. I spent months doing this to get what I felt were enough mags for my PT 38Ss. You have to pick and choose, being confident that more will turn up if you miss one, to keep the price you pay reasonable. Buy it now or similar is your friend

Top Bottom