Taurus is trying to get into the 380 market....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Taurus 738 TCP: .380 ACP Pistol Takes Aim at the Ruger LCP

Taurus_TCP_01.jpg

Knowing it is a taurus....I'll wait for reliability tests to be done before I think about buying one.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Taurus, Ruger, keltec... I don't think of "factory fresh reliability" when dealing with either of the three.

Comparing those three together is like comparing bryco, cobra and phoenix arms. Can we start nitpicking over which one is "less reliable"? Sure we can, but why? The differences are minute.

*For our speed readers, I'll make it clear I am talking about 2 different categories of firearms manufactures. I'm not placing the last three in the same category as the first three. Just using the anagoly to illustrate the silliness of the debate that is about to start.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My two Tauri (?) have functioned 100%. It'll be interesting to see reports on it.

+1

many, many rounds through multiple taurus firearms. no failures of any kind to date.

on topic - i don't own a 380, i don't ever plan to. although if someone wanted to give me one i would surely take it. :)

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    How many rounds have you all put through these Taurus pistols that "function flawlesly", and are you being completely honest with yourselves?

Iv owned three Taurus Handguns. All three of them were complete jam-O-matics. One of them was a revolver, and even that broke in under 300 rounds. :(. They were all NEW, and made within the last few years. I recommend people stand clear of them; especially with reputable products like Bersa to be had for less than 3 bills.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I own three Taurus handguns, the PT1911, a 24/7 in 9mm, and a Millenium Pro in 9mm. No problems with any of them, except a few jams during the first 200 rounds or so, and occasionally some funky ammo will cause a jam. I've read hundreds of posts all over the internet about Taurus. Lots of people say they've had nothing but problems, lots of people say they've had problems. I think Taurus does a poor job when they first release a new model, then about the third iteration they have a pretty good gun. Also, there's a perception at work. If you read enough on the internet, you can find some pretty scary stories about any brand of gun, but if it's a Kimber being talked about, most people assume that it's a fluke when there's a problem, but assume it's the nature of the gun when it's a Taurus. About the only gun I've never heard anything bad about is the CZ 75. I think I need one for my collection.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    atleast they are offering an 8 round mag with it. The factory mag is a 6 shot but they have plans to make a 8 too. I've owned two from Taurus. One worked great and one gave me alot of trouble

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Taurus Reputation...on the line again

Ok I'll bite....

As an owner of two Taurus pistols a PT 1911 and a 24/7, I can say from my personal experience that I feel 100% confident in the use of these firearms for protecting my family and I.

Like another poster alluded to, I too have read and/or heard about issues with early generations of some Taurus pistols, however the PT1911, 24/7 and Millennium families have been virtually flawless. Yes I did say virtually, as I firmly believe that there are always a few in the bunch that just seem not to work, and I don't care who the manufacturer is, this is always true. Yes, that's right even Glocks sometimes explode...:n00b:

It all comes back to personal experience though. If I were the glock owner that had the glock explode, I probably wouldn't go back with a glock, and so it is with Taurus. Those that have had less than stellar experience with this manufacturer will made their experiences heard day after day. I cannot and will not blame them for that as again it's their experience.

So back to the OP's comment/question. Personally would I go out and purchase this firearm right away... No, that's not because I don't trust or like Taurus, it's because my purchasing this firearm would break two of my rules about purchasing firearms.

1. Do not purchase any firearm that is in it's first generation without significant public and private reliability and accuracy testing completed first.

2. Do not purchase any pistol less than 9mm for personal protection, even for backup purposes.

These are not universal rules, just mine. If you're looking at it for just plinking... (not likely just based on physical size of the pistol) then maybe, but only maybe.

Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Four Taurus pistols in my life, no problems. I currently own a Millenium Pro 111, which had problems in its 1st generation. Mine is 3rd gen, and has been rock solid. The PT1911 is a thing of beauty, and is such a steal it's crazy. After the rebate, I paid $455 for a pistol that is comparable with some famous 1911 names, and came with more features.

That said, I'll wait for the reviews and some use on the 380, simply because all new models from any company seem to struggle at first.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have never had any issues with my Taurus Pro 111 (over 500 rounds at least) and no issues with my Ruger SR9 (over 1000 rounds). Not one FTF or jam, even within the first 200 rounds. I have even ran crap Wolf and Fiocchi through them.

Even if Taurus did steal the designs, don't all companies in the long run? One company starts with a design say the 1911, it works, and sells. Everyone else picks it up and tries to get a little piece of the pie as well. I see nothing wrong with that, I like to have a choice on who my money goes to personally. Just my :twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, this gun is going to probably be just like the LCP or Keltec:
    The damn thing is going to have a torrent of posts about them jamming b/c the shooter is limp wristing or they got a bad one (which happens with both Keltec and the LCP). They will say its jamming because it is a Taurus and people will act sophmorically by stating "I told you so" when they know nothing of the pistol! Argh!

It looks interesting. They couldn't sell their .380 Milleniums (too big) or their 9 series in .380 (too heavy for all metal gun), so here they are. Sort of a cross between the pluses of the Bersa (mag capacity) with the general sizing of the Keltecs/LCP.

I like the looks of the rear cocking serrations. I like the Snakeskin type checkering. About time someone can get that without going custom shop or Smith Performance center! :D:D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Looks interesting. I've only owned one Tarus, an 85, and it worked perfectly. I need a lil .380 so I'll be interested to see one. With so many tiny 9mm guns to chose from a .380 would have to be deployed as a pocket gun or deep BOG. Well I suppose it would be good on a bike or out jogging as well. IMHO

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    While I've never owned a taurus, this forum is the first place i've heard of problems with them. Well major problems I guess. I had an uncle who had one of the mili's and It wasn't my favorite, but it always went bang.

Top Bottom