• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leb1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The other day I was talking to my uncle who is local LEO. He informed me that the dept. won't allow them to carry Taurus' because they jam a lot. He really labeled them as undependable. Now I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm pro compact and I have yet to have a jam and I've placed at least 600 rounds thru it. Has anyone else had or know of any problems? Quiet is keep I love everything about the 24/7.

I hear people talking about ammo, so when it comes to the 24/7 9mm pro compact has anyone used hornady taps or critical defense ammo with that gun and if so were there any jams or FTF?

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Just as with any pistol you will have an occasional lemon. I have personally never shot a Taurus and have heard many opposing viewpoints about Taurus. Some would trust their lives to them while others would never even use one for range duty because someone they knew had issues. If you haven't had any problems that is great. Some people say 1911s are horribly unreliable - mine (with Wilson mags) has not had a single bobble. I can find horror stories about ANY pistol, though. Glocks, XDs, 1911s, whatever - just by virtue of the number of guns out there, you will be able to find reports of anything failing. The more of something you have in circulation, the more times you will be able to find documented errors - that is simply just how it works. More products = more chances for things to go wrong.

I am not knocking Taurus by saying this, but I'd venture to say a Glock (just one example) would have less failures per 1000 rounds. That's not to say Glocks are always 100% reliable and like I said that is not a knock against Taurus. Just a guess more than anything. I guess the point I am getting at is that I won't pass any judgement on a Taurus as I haven't shot one. If I shot one and had problems, I'd not be too ready to depend on it for my life. That goes for any pistol - if I had repeated problems I wouldn't trust it. It works the other way too, though. No issues? I'd be comfortable with it.

My :twocents: though - Taurus seems to get an unfairly bad reputation, yet I see a similar rate of issues with them as I do other pistols. I see a lot of people who praise them. I have no idea why this is but just a casual observation.

ETA - there are a bunch of reasons why a dept. requires its officers to carry a dept. specified duty gun. Money, training simplicity, reliability are just three of many factors in a dept. making that decision.

Last edited:

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I've got Taurus's 92 clone (bought it in '05) and I've lost track of how many rounds I've had through it (>1000, by a lot). Only had a very small number of "failures", and they were all the shooter's fault (me).

So, for me, as long as I do my part correctly, it's been darn near perfect.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have three Tauruses, and I guess it's a tossup like anything else. My 24/7 compact, and 24/7 OSS have been flawless. On the other hand my TCP is in the shop as we speak because of FTE problems.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife has a 24/7 CDS 9mm. All we do with it is shoot & clean, shoot & clean, (Repeat as necessary). Its been like that many hundreds of rounds.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 709s is in the shop as we speak. 25% FTE on the first 100 rounds I put through it. Rear safety fell off. Taurus responded properly to my complaints and arranged for Fed Ex to pick up the weapon, paid for shipping to the factory. It is now two weeks gone. Taurus says it is on the shelf awaiting attention of the armorers, and that I should expect a one month turn around time.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    He really labeled them as undependable. Now I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm compact and I have yet to have a jam and I've placed at least 600 rounds thru it. Has anyone else had or know of any problems? Quiet is keep I love everything about the 24/7.

He labled them as undependable, but I'll bet that he's never owned one right?

I have had over 6 but currently have 3, a 940 (for 10 years), a PT1911 aquired in a trade back in August and a 809 that bought NIB in late Sept.

I've never had a problem with any if the 6 I've had and carry a 809, so I guess I trust it enough with my life.

Also the PT1911 is so good that I sold my long time Springfield loaded 1911a1 because I felt that it was a better shooting gun, plain and simple.

One thing you need to remember about Taurus's, don't get caught up in the "My friend's, brothers, whose sisters girlfriends boyfriend has......." thing that they say this and that, but never owner one.

Buy it, shoot it, if it works. great, if not Taurus has a lifetime warranty, get it fixed and shoot it some more.:D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We(myself and Grumpe)have several Taurus pistols.She carries a PT-140 that has been flawless.The only problem I have ever had or seen with a Taurus is gunk building up behind the firing pin(Pt models).Every 1000 rounds or so it is best to tear them completely down.Other than that I would trust my life to a Taurus.Take care of your gear and it takes care of you.:twocents:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The other day I was talking to my uncle who is local LEO. He informed me that the dept. won't allow them to carry Taurus' because they jam a lot. He really labeled them as undependable. Now I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm compact and I have yet to have a jam and I've placed at least 600 rounds thru it. Has anyone else had or know of any problems? Quiet is keep I love everything about the 24/7.

I've had a 24/7 Pro C DS 9mm for a little over a year, and have put countless rounds through it, and have yet to have a single FTF/FTE failure. I did have one light strike, which I decided was gunk built up in the firing pin channel. Now, I spray Gun Scrubber into that channel, and have never had another problem.

IMO - a police dept that "won't allow" Taurus is either trying to justify why they insist on spending twice the money per pistol, or has some backroom deal which demands a monopoly.

There is NO pistol ever made which has had ZERO failures, no matter that brand or cost. Things break - materials fail. It's just the way things work.

blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    As a LEO myself, we carry the Glock 21 (45 cal). Our dept has used the glock for many years due to its reliability. I have literally shot many thousand rounds and i have only had mine jam one time and it was during range time, so who knows it could have been the cheap ammo or it could have just been the extremely dirtyness of the gun itself. Those two things alone are very important to a gun and it jamming. I'm not real familiar with Taurus.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've had several Taurus PT99s and 92s. Tens of thousands of rounds, no jams, ever.

Several revolvers, too. Never a problem with any of them, either.

Lot's of folks like to rag on Taurus, but I think they are just torqued that they spent so much more for their guns.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I havent read this thread in its entirety, so i might be stepping on someones toes, but i would have not problem labeling taurus PT series and 24/7 series of guns as unreliable w/out any hesitation. of all the modern semi automatics these are the most likely to be returned, or to come through my shop to be repaired. i have seen broken extractors, MISSING extractors, mags that would fall out after the first shot, failure after failure after failure to feed properly even after a rather throurough action job.... even had one come w/ a barrel that had not had the chamber cut in it yet.

sorry for the rant, i just feel like people think they are getting a good value for the money with these guns when all they are getting IMHO is a ticking time bomb, that i wouldnt trust my life to.

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS and I love my 9mm!!! But i did hear from a guy that has a ton more experience then I, any gun can jam up, none are perfect, just love the one you love!!! with that being said I also carry a 357 revolver just in case it does jam up, I have a trusty 6 shot back up!!! :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I carry a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS and I love my 9mm!!! But i did hear from a guy that has a ton more experience then I, any gun can jam up, none are perfect, just love the one you love!!! with that being said I also carry a 357 revolver just in case it does jam up, I have a trusty 6 shot back up!!! :)

Yup, any gun can be a jammamatic. The two most unreliable POS's I've ever had were a factory new S&W 1076 and a Glock 23. I was particularly disappointed in the first, I really liked that gun. On the rare occasions it was able to feed a round to fire :(

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've owned a Taurus PT92 since 1997. The only FTF problem I ever had was the last round in the ProMag I bought for it. It fires 100% with the factory mags. And for the record, at the time when I bought the ProMag, I had no clue that they were the worst mag you could buy for your gun.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    My Taurus PT 145 jammed the other day at the range. I talked to a friend of mine that has the same gun and he said it was the ammo that we bought. He had never had a problem until recently. We both bought the same ammo at the Indy Gun Show. I'm going to try another type of ammo and see if I have the same problem.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My Taurus PT 145 jammed the other day at the range. I talked to a friend of mine that has the same gun and he said it was the ammo that we bought. He had never had a problem until recently. We both bought the same ammo at the Indy Gun Show. I'm going to try another type of ammo and see if I have the same problem.

Was it WWB? I've read of quite a few folks having troubles with that in their PT145s

Top Bottom