• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Any experience with the new Taurus PT-709? I'm looking at this and the Kel-Tec PF-9 for concealed carry. Quite a bit of info and opinion on the PF-9, but not a lot out there yet on the PT-709.

Anybody got one? Or both?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have a 709. i have not fired a keltec 9mm, but i did own a p3at which i bought brand new- total hunk of crap IMO. i know Taurus has a bad rep, but i would buy the Taurus every time.

i like having a manual safety on a pocket gun , though it doesnt fit in the pocket as nicely as i would prefer. the trigger is long, but waaaaaaay nicer than the p3at's.

my only real complaint about the 709 is that the extended mags arent available (yet).

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm looking at both myself. Leaning towards the 709 myself, held one a week ago and it felt good. But then again I held a kel tec at the noblesville show and it felt good too. I may see if I can find one at the 1500 this weekend at a real good price.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I've been interested in the 709. Currently carry an LCP, but would prefer the 9mm and the extended mag... haven't decided to pull the trigger on it yet.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've actually ended up purchasing a PT-709 and canceling the order I have had for three months on a PF-9. Found one at Kiesler's and got it at a decent price. Had it apart to clean last night and will take it to the range today or tomorrow. I've still not shot the PF-9, but have handled several in gun shops. The workmanship on the Taurus seems better, and the feel of the grip on the Taurus seems better in my hand. My brother still has a PF-9 on order, so eventually I'll be able to directly compare the two. I'll post a range report after I get the PT-709 to the range.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I may be buying one tomorrow if I can find the right price. A friend that was at the 1500 said he found one and I like the price. So if its still there it may be coming home with me. If so I'll let you know how a range report goes.

BTW I've been saving up from odd jobs to afford this right now.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Got the 709 to the range this morning. 100 rounds of various (UMC, PMC, American Eagle, and Golden Bear) ammo went through it with but a single misfeed (PMC) about 80 rounds in. Sighting was just a tad high. I shot the very first shot off a rest, and the rascal bit me! It's just a little too small for me to use on my cheap rest AND keep my weak hand out of the way. Fortunately, it was just a grazing strike on the thumb, but it bled like a stuck pig!

Other than that, I'm very impressed with this little gun. The felt recoil isn't nearly as bad as I had expected, and the gun is easy to shoot accurately. At the end of the run I was shooting 3 inch groups without the rest at 7 yds - not bad for me. I think about another 100 rounds of FMJ and then some HP to check function and I'll be ready to call this a carry gun.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    whats the going price on the slim 709

Prices are all over the place. Bud's has the stainless model for $363 and the blued model for $352. I used this as the bargaining point on my purchase. I have not seen the titanium version anywhere. I've seen posts where folks say they've paid anywhere from $330 to $400+.

Top Bottom