• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ausra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    SW Indy
    I have a Taurus pt1911 and I was thinking about putting a shorter barrel and slide on it, I was wondering if this gun is a decent gun and if its worth putting time and modifications into it? Im not making a race gun or competition gun just want a decent looking and good shooting gun. Preferably in a more compact version. Is it possible to convert my full size into a compact? It shoots pretty well as is but its not good for cc'ing. Instead of buying a new gun I thought I would try and modify this one, if its possible...

smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    Not sure on the conversion, but I've had my PT1911 since Feb, and after 500 rounds, not one ftf, or any other issues, with the stock mag! Great gun, great value.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Dont waste your money on wilson combat mags with them.. I have 5 unusable mags for mine

Always been very happy with mine, no FTF that I can recall, no issues with stock mags at all. SNS, I don't want to hear this, I traded some 22/45 mags to get three wilson 1911 mags, have not shot with them yet though. I loaded them and racked the slide and first round loaded, so I was assuming I would be OK...no I am concerned until I can fire with them to try :(

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    So far as design is concerned a 1911 is a 1911, Taurus may not use quite as good materials or close tolerances as Colt or Kimber but its still the same basic design and I'm sure many parts and upgrades are available.
    Ive heard it argues that you shouldn't put a lot of money in a Ford or Chevy because you will still have a Ford or Chevy, On the other hand if you buy a Mazeratti or Jag they you have a fine machine but very little chance to customize or upgrade it to make it your own.
    In the last few years I've been lucky enough to be able to buy Ruger, Colt, and Remington, not top of the line but good.. If I couldn't buy a Ruger SR1911 I would consider a Taurus 1911 and start looking toward upgrades to make it shoot like a Ruger or Colt or better.

One more idea, if you wish to get into any gunsmithing work it only makes sense to buy a base gun that will benefit from your efforts and give you something to practice on that won't cost you a grand if you screw it up.
    Just my thoughts.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Always been very happy with mine, no FTF that I can recall, no issues with stock mags at all. SNS, I don't want to hear this, I traded some 22/45 mags to get three wilson 1911 mags, have not shot with them yet though. I loaded them and racked the slide and first round loaded, so I was assuming I would be OK...no I am concerned until I can fire with them to try :(

Mine chamber the 1st round but nose dive the rest

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    have one of the early ones with the "loose safety", only time i applied the safety whilst firing was shooting "weak" hand and thumb bumped it. since then I have swapped it (for a colt ww1 repop) and couple of other small items, that all dropped in. the parts had no noticeable wear (am at 1600+ rds, with 200ish +p). it hasn't been mag finicky since it broke the 200rd mark.

my bro-in-law used his in a pistol match yesterday with no issues as well.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Originally Posted by Bob2
    Always been very happy with mine, no FTF that I can recall, no issues with stock mags at all. SNS, I don't want to hear this, I traded some 22/45 mags to get three wilson 1911 mags, have not shot with them yet though. I loaded them and racked the slide and first round loaded, so I was assuming I would be OK...no I am concerned until I can fire with them to try

Mine chamber the 1st round but nose dive the rest

I finally tried the Wilson mags in my Taurus 1911 today, they worked flawlessly. :dunno:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have 2, a stainless, and a blued one, which have both ran perfect for 1000s of rounds. They get shot a lot more than the Colts, and Kimbers here. I use the factory mags mostly with no problems. The stainless one was bought new and the blue one was bought used from another member a couple of years ago.

Dave

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I thought they were an excellent deal a few years back when they sold for around 600. Seems like most places these days where I've seen them have em listed around 700. For that money I would go Sig, Remington, Ruger, or Springfield. All those brands have options in the 700's that will have better build quality and far better CS.

Top Bottom