• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thinking about getting a Taurus PT92. Would appreciate thoughts or any experience anyone has had with this gun. Read reviews that say it is as good as the Beretta 92 for the price. I am hoping some here have 1st hand info. Thank you for all your input in advance.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Had mine for almost 3 years. Shoots fine, looks good. I've never owned a Beretta, so can't compare, but I'm well satisfied with my PT-92.

aaei5e.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had one and sold it. Gun was fine, but found a few shortcomings:

1) Proprietary mags
    2) Front sight is part of the slide, so upgrading to night sights requires additional gun smith work
    3) Holster selection was somewhat limited if running with a weapon mounted light

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Have shot one a few years ago. Thought it was ok. I'm not a fan of the grip. Just didn't feel the greatest in my hand. They shoot and function just fine though.

What drew you to the pt92 over other pistols in the ~$600 range?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've shot the **** out of my Taurus 92.
    Good gun.
    Yes, if you want attachments, or change the sights, you'll be disappointed.
    Want a gun you can bang around, and still shoot, it's a tank.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Ngdonut, just want to try something different. I have 2 M&P 9mm Pros, a 9mm shield and the XDS 9mm.I shoot the pro better probably because of the length of the barrel so wanted to stay with a full size gun. Liked the reputation of the Beretta and did some reading and some say the Taurus was very similar with some improvements over the Beretta. Need to go to my LGS and really hold both and get a close look at both. If anyone has any other possibilities please post them.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Ngdonut, just want to try something different. I have 2 M&P 9mm Pros, a 9mm shield and the XDS 9mm.I shoot the pro better probably because of the length of the barrel so wanted to stay with a full size gun. Liked the reputation of the Beretta and did some reading and some say the Taurus was very similar with some improvements over the Beretta. Need to go to my LGS and really hold both and get a close look at both. If anyone has any other possibilities please post them.
    Yeah definitely check both out side by side. You will see a lot of similarities. They are neat guns.

Sounds like you have a lot of striker fires. If part of what you are looking for that is different is a sa/da 9mm, I would also take a look at a cz75. There is a reason they consider it a wonder 9 and call it the European 1911. And they retail sub ~$600. Just another suggestion.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I had a PT99, same gun as PT92 but with with adjustable sights. I shot it ALOT and never had a failure with good ammo (read that not Egytian 9mm surplus). I shot Beretta M9's for years in the military. Side by side the M9 is nicer, but I was always able to shoot the PT99 better. Go figure. If you want a PT92, grab one up, for the money, you get alot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had one for a LONG time and even have a Taurus .22LR adapter kit for it. It's been a great gun.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I prefer the Taurus over the Beretta for the frame mounted safety. The rest is pretty much the same except for the cuts on the mags. Taurus mags are pretty common, so comparability is only an issue if you have already the Beretta.

I've had mine for >10 years. If it were stolen tomorrow I would replace it with the same model.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    +1 what actaeon277 said. I have owned one for years and is very reliable.

I had a PT99, same gun as PT92 but with with adjustable sights. I shot it ALOT and never had a failure with good ammo (read that not Egytian 9mm surplus). I shot Beretta M9's for years in the military. Side by side the M9 is nicer, but I was always able to shoot the PT99 better. Go figure. If you want a PT92, grab one up, for the money, you get alot.

I have a 99 that I have had for probably close to 25 years. Never had any issues with it. Last several years it has lived in the safe, but when I was actively shooting it, it always ate everything. It was never a gun I considered carrying due to bulk of size, but for a range gun, or with careful holster selection, it would be fine. Not sure on current prices, but they used to be a great gun for the price.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    I want to thank everyone for taking time to respond to my post. Very helpful info I will use on my next visit to my LGS, which hopefully is today. I know I check this site every chance I get and enjoy it very much. There is a lot of good information and people here and I am glad I joined. Thanks again.

Top Bottom