• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cka314

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking into purchasing a revolver and I've notice a price difference between Ruger and Taurus. Is this price difference related to marketing (such as I've heard that S&W cost more because of the name) - or is the Ruger a better made gun and therefore the price is higher?

thanks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You will get supporters of both weapons on this forum. I and my son own Taurii semi-autos, and Ruger 10/22s. All our weapons work great. In my opinion, I take the economical Taurus. Of course, others will say to pay more for quality. It will be an endless argument.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like both Ruger and Taurus firearms. Rugers are built like tanks and make great revolvers that I feel are worth their price. I have had my Taurus m85 revolver for several years now and love it. I have never had any issues with it and it is a pleasure to shoot. I think Taurus also makes a great gun for the price. Cant go wrong either way in my opinion. :ingo:

I have shot many revolvers both by Taurus and Ruger and would not hesitate to purchase either one.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Neither my Taurus M85 nor my Ruger GP100 have ever caused me grief. Both have functioned flawlessly and performed as well as the shooter in accuracy.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    No matter what, I always go back to my Taurus 85 as my EDC. Even after my newly acquired Glock 19. My next purchase will probably be a Taurus 651 or 617.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I own 3 (or is it 4?) Taurus handguns, and all of them have been of excellent quality. Plus, that lifetime warranty, (transferable too, if that gun winds up being a family heirloom,) is good to have 20 or 30 years down the road.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You will get supporters of both weapons on this forum. I and my son own Taurii semi-autos, and Ruger 10/22s. All our weapons work great. In my opinion, I take the economical Taurus. Of course, others will say to pay more for quality. It will be an endless argument.
    I own both Taurus and Ruger products, and like them both. I just had to send my Taurus PT-111 of to Taurus to get some work done on it though - having some extractor problems. I guess that is to be expected after five years and about 7,000 rounds down the tube.:dunno:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I have not owned a Taurus revolver, although I never had any problems with a semiauto (Millenium 9mm) that I owned a few years back.

For me, when I was looking for a full-size .357, the balance was tipped toward Ruger. The GP100 has a somewhat legendary reputation for strength, for one thing--but also, I tend to resell or trade a lot, and it seems that Ruger revolvers are a little easier to resell, due to their reputation. (I do love the GP100, by the way.)

Nevertheless, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus revolver. The ones I've handled have seemed to be high-quality products, and they have a fairly extensive product line.

Either way, if you're buying new, you will get a dependable weapon. If you're buying used, I think it's worth really checking out any brand of revolver before buying. This means more than just checking for play in the cylinder...if you Google "used revolver checkout" you will find some fairly detailed descriptions of what you can evaluate to see if a revolver has been abused. I made the mistake once of checking for cylinder play, but NOT checking to be sure that the revolver would spin true when open. As it turned out, the ejector rod was slightly bent, which caused the cylinder to bind when the revolver was fired with actual ammunition and the rounds would make contact with the frame. I finally realized what was going on when I opened the cylinder and spun it--the rod would wobble as it was spinning, and looking closely, it was not perfectly straight.

That was a big lesson to me. I'd always regarded reliability as a given for revolvers. Not so if they've been abused.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I have owned 3 different Taurus guns. A 686, a PT140 and a Model 941.
    The only decent one of the bunch was the 686. The other two are junk.
    I got a good deal on a S&W Model 60-9, .357 Snub. S&W's are overpriced, but they are the best. I carry the Smith every day. I would not recommend Taurus if you can afford a Smith or a Ruger. However, if you are buying something to carry, cheap is better than nothing. More and more zombies out there these days.
    SW357Snubby001.jpg

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I love my taurus guns (model 66 .357mag, PT 24/7 pro 9mm, PT 709) for the money I don't think you can go wrong. My model 66 is a tack driver and is accurate with every load I send down the pipe. My 24/7 is my carry gun and I feel 100% confident in its performance, and this gun is also very accurate from distances up to and including 35 yards. IMO if you want to spend a couple hundred more dollars on a gun just because it has a special name, then go ahead I'll save my money and spend it on more ammo.:ar15:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I own two Taurus semi-auto handguns. A TCP and PT-92, they are good shooters and seem reliable. I have had the PT-92 for about 20 years now. It's like an old friend. :)

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    No complaints with my taurus firearms two PT1911s (45 & 38 Super), TCP, and an old 44Mag revolver.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i have owned several taurus autos and multiple ruger autos and revolvers. all of them have been top notch. i have heard of people getting bad q.c. with taurus but i havent had that.

Top Bottom