• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I have the opportunity to get my hands on a raging judge with the 3 inch barrel for a decent price. Not great but decent. Question is does the .454 casull give much more oomph out of the 3 inch barrel than say a .44 mag from a 7 inch SRH.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I handled one of these beasts at the shop the other day.

I would be tempted to get one for OC if only for the eye-popping I'd get to see, but its damned heavy, and kind of expensive. Not sure about performance, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly.

Alternatively, you may be able to find ballistics tables online and do some math and come up with your own answers.

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I've tried the online tables and all seem to give data for 6 inch or longer barrels which i guess should tell me something.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No experience at all with the shorter barrel models, but I have the Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. It has an 8-3/8" ported barrel and it has quite a push to it when fired.

I'm not sure I'd want to fire a 3" barrel model, and I'm a big-bore fan.

YMMV

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No personal experience but................

I would guess the "oomph" one should be concerned with is the "oomph" you will experience as the shooter and the "oomph" of the vacuum in your billfold. :D

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    My buddy has a raging bull that I have shot several times and while the recoil is definately noticeable I dont find it objectionable if the round count is kept fairly low. not hard to do given the price per squeeze of the trigger. His gun was what made me fall in love with the .454 round and I have been looking for the right deal ever since. Just not sure the short barrel wont kill the rounds performance.

Top Bottom