• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    I bought a taurus pt709 slim about two years ago, and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have tried shooting several different kinds of ammo out of it, but it doesnt matter. In a magazine that holds 7, atleast three of the 7 casings will not eject properly everytime I shoot. I have even sent this gun back to taurus three times now. So I have had thtree new barrels and three new ejectors. I havn't had a chance to shoot since getting it back a few days ago, but after the first two times I sent it back I am not very confident. I am curious if anyone else has had this problem with taurus or the 709 slim? If it doesn't work this time is there a good gunsmith or anything else i can do?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not knowing anything about you, how much experience do you have with handguns? Is it possible that you are not getting a good grip on the pistol when you shoot it? The 709 is a smallish pistol, it can be a little difficult for some to get a good grip on, causing malfunctions in the ejection process.

josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    I have a few handguns but I would not say I am experienced.. I definetly didn't know that my grip on the gun could affect the ejecting of it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Friend has a 709 that runs fine on Remington green box, but jams fairly consistently on Winchester white box. I think they were hit or miss.

How often and how well do you clean and oil? Also check on the grip mentioned above.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a few handguns but I would not say I am experienced.. I definetly didn't know that my grip on the gun could affect the ejecting of it.

Without sounding like I was putting you down, its called limp wristing a gun. Being a smaller gun, in a somewhat snappy(for size) caliber can exacerbate that phenomena. Keeping a good, firm grip, and a stiff wrist is important in good auto loader function. I have a friend who, when he first started shooting handguns, had the same issue with a full sized Glock 22. Thing would jamb about every other round. After getting his grip straightened out, and wrist stiffened up, he is cranking out doubletaps like a pro, and has since had zero malfunctions. It could be the pistol has issues as well, but I find it best to eliminate all possibilities in myself before I start looking at the equipment (especially after its been back to the factory a few times):twocents:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 709. It had problems when I bought it off and INGOer. I sent it back once and it has worked perfectly since then. I buy cheap ammo, mostly WWB, S&B, Remington, etc. The only thing it rejected was some very dirty re-loads I picked up as an add-on to sweeten the purchase of another Taurus.

Try the suggestions above. The 709 is a very good weapon. Stay with it. It will work.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 709. It had problems when I bought it off and INGOer. I sent it back once and it has worked perfectly since then. I buy cheap ammo, mostly WWB, S&B, Remington, etc. The only thing it rejected was some very dirty re-loads I picked up as an add-on to sweeten the purchase of another Taurus.

Try the suggestions above. The 709 is a very good weapon. Stay with it. It will work.

My experience with them has been that you get out of them what you put into them. Maintain them well, and practice, and find the ammo they like, and they'll work just fine.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    How about magazines? Have you given the mags that you have with the gun a cleaning and inspection to ensure that they are functioning properly? And I'm sure that right now you're probably leery of spending more $$$ on a handgun that's giving you problems, but perhaps buying another mag to run rounds through might help.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    My 709 had the same problem you are describing after about 350 rounds. I sent it to Taurus and it has worked great ever since.

Top Bottom