• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    I've looked for a thread comparing the two rifles but I haven't had any luck. If anyone knows where one is, please post the link. In case there isn't, someone tell me the pros and cons of the two..besides the obvious bullpup configuration and improved mobility.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would say a lot would depend on your AR was set up. I own both, the Tavor has a horrible factory trigger. That's a tough question, as I think both are great platforms.
    The Tavor may be a bit more rugged than an AR, as far as having to keep it clean. AR's can be finicky with too much sand, dirt and grime. The Tavor may have them beat there.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    I just got my Tavor and I must say I love it. That said I am relatively new to this and haven't shot an AR yet. The trigger is stiff, but not bad per se. I will likely replace it with a new trigger pack once they become a bit more common.

That's one of the pros/cons: Ecosystems.

The AR has had a loooong time for a massive ecosystem of bits, bobs, parts, and mods to grow up. The Tavor has just started, but will likely be picking up speed as more people shoot and enjoy it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just got my Tavor and I must say I love it. That said I am relatively new to this and haven't shot an AR yet. The trigger is stiff, but not bad per se. I will likely replace it with a new trigger pack once they become a bit more common.

That's one of the pros/cons: Ecosystems.

The AR has had a loooong time for a massive ecosystem of bits, bobs, parts, and mods to grow up. The Tavor has just started, but will likely be picking up speed as more people shoot and enjoy it.

I think you can add anything to a Tavor that you can put on an AR.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Precision shooting with an AR can be done very well with a sling. Using a sling properly (at least the way I was taught) isn't really possible with a Tavor (that I've seen). That really applies to any bullpup though. Again, I'm no expert but that seems to be the big difference to me.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    I think he means parts, you can order online every part of a ar15.

Exactly. You can completely build your own AR from loose parts sourced through what seems like an unending list of manufacturers. Tavi parts? IWI or nada for the most part.

Standard rail accessories are no issue of course, but there are few aftermarket Tavor 'furniture' resources currently. That is certainly changing, but nowhere near the insanity of choice the AR offers.

Besides just liking the Tavor I also made a conscious decision to avoid the AR for the time being. I am a compulsive tinkerer so if it can be modded, I will. I looked at the AR and saw a very, very deep rabbit hole for me. The Tavor's limited amount of aftermarket goodies is a bit of a rate limiter right now. :)

Last edited:

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I own both. Definitely like the tavor better.

The AR is lighter since the Tavor is a chunky lady but once it's shouldered you dont notice the weight.

I think the ergos on a tavor are much better than an AR.

So far I haven't found anything my AR can do that my tavor can't, but I have found at least one thing my tavor can do better than my AR. And that is make one handed 200 yard shots easily.

I don't climb in and out of vehicles all day or clear houses constantly but if you were to do that the Tavor definitely beats the AR at that too. I will say running around my house "clearing" rooms with the Tavor is easily done, much easier than an AR.

People gripe about the Tavor trigger but I actually kind of like it. I did take the extra spring out of the trigger pack to reduce the weight some but that was really just to keep my finger from getting tired during rapid fire sessions.

Spare parts are hard to come by for the Tavor currently, which sucks but they seem to be built like tanks so I'm not worried about it at the moment.

Aftermarket parts for the Tavor are coming out almost on a weekly basis it feels like so don't let lack of "support" scare you, granted I don't think one really needs to change a whole lot on the platform as it comes from the factory.

My Tavor has gone over 1000 rounds without a cleaning with 0 malfunctions.

My AR has a few hundred rounds through it with a handful of malfunctions, could be cause its a home build with a slew of parts thrown at it but who knows. Swapped out buffer springs the other week so we will see if that fixes the problem, but it could be a lubrication problem too since I like to run my guns fairly dry.

I like my AR, don't get me wrong, but I really dont see what all the hype is about them. Fun to build and tinker with but I don't think they are the bees knees of the rifle world. I may build another some day cause I liked building it and they're cheap plus I have a boat load of AR mags so it makes sense to stick with a platform that takes AR mags.

Absolutely want another Tavor, an 18" in OD green if they ever set them out in the wild.

If the Poo were to hit the rotating circular blades tomorrow, I'd be grabbing my Tavor though for sure.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I really like the idea of the Tavor. I'm having a hard time dropping that much money on it. If it were even a few hundred bucks cheaper ($1500 range), I would probably have one right now.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I like my AR, don't get me wrong, but I really dont see what all the hype is about them. Fun to build and tinker with but I don't think they are the bees knees of the rifle world.

Perhaps if your AR was the same quality as your tavor it might make sense. You shouldn't really be having any malfunctions with a quality AR granted stuff happens but they should both run perfect.

What draws people AR:

1) Price you can get a quality PSA for $500-600 with stuff like colt or BCM at around $900. That is a cheap as a good ak and certainly cheaper then anything else.
    2) Adaptability you can make your AR go from a SBR to a precision rifle and everything in between.
    3) The trigger both stock and aftermarkets are better then anything else.
    4) It's Murica's gun!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Perhaps if your AR was the same quality as your tavor it might make sense. You shouldn't really be having any malfunctions with a quality AR granted stuff happens but they should both run perfect.

!

Well my AR isn't just a cheap build. Its got PSA, Daniel defense, and bcm parts in it. I just think the buffer spring I got from PSA was a little light. I'll find out next time I head to the range. But so far the gun has been picky about being dirty, cause it always runs fine after I clean it and lube the bolt carrier group.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I love my Tavor but the great thing about an AR is you're really only limited by your imagination in all the different ways you can build one. You can go cheap and be okay. Or break the bank and make the equivalent of a Ferrari. There's any number of calibers and purposes for almost anything you could want.

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    Yea i forgot about different uppers for the AR. I do have a c 39 ak and I'm primarily thinking of a SHTF rifle and the ease of mobility. Like many have said, I wish they were cheaper but at the same time, they're one of the best choices a person could make in this day and age.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    I just had opportunity to call their support staff and have a chat. I was inquiring about a printed manual, and their policy of coatings (cera, dura, etc...) affecting the warranty.

The receptionist answered right away and found someone for me to talk to fairly quickly even though I had called during prime lunch-time hours. The gentleman I talked with was excellent to work with. He's dropping a new manual in the mail for me, no problems. Their policy on the coatings was pretty reasonable: as long as it isn't on the internals there's really no issue. I forgot to ask about the barrel, but I'd imagine that's okay as well. He was mentioning the bolt-carrier, seer pack, basically all of the moving bits as no-go for coatings.

In fact they were pretty reasonable-sounding overall on their warranty policy. At their discretion they fix most anything except for "The Stupid" or grossly negligent, even if it may be beyond the exact wording of the warranty.

The more I learn about this weapon and IWI, the happier I am with my purchase. :)

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Precision shooting with an AR can be done very well with a sling. Using a sling properly (at least the way I was taught) isn't really possible with a Tavor (that I've seen). That really applies to any bullpup though. Again, I'm no expert but that seems to be the big difference to me.

When I was in my misguided youth, I was taught to use a sling the way I presume you were. The other Misguided Children and I strongly believe that the sling is more than just a rifle-holster. Having said that, though...

1. With a modern, common sling, I don't disco it and reconfig it like I did for shooting at qual targets, but I always considered that kind of a parlor trick, anyway. You really don't do that much other than on the range where you're prohibited from using a dead rest. On the off chance you were in a safe, static position where there really was no dead rest, I suppose it would still be valuable, but how often is that your situation, especially for a civilian?

2. I think it's both less necessary and still possible, at least to some extent, with at least some of the bullpups. To varying degrees, they don't stick out so far, which makes them [IMHO?] inherently more stable. We do sling tricks to minimize the effects of muscle fatigue, gravity, wind, anything that would move the gun. With it tucked in so nicely, with the weight closer to the body, with the additional contact patch if you're using the Tavor the way it was intended, *I* definitely get less wiggle and wobble and can hold the magic red dot on the target more easily, and for longer periods of time, than with a traditional rifle, especially if I don't perform any range tricks with my sling or body position on the traditional rifle. That Tavor just tucks into my shoulder and feels SOLID. I'm sure rhino could do the math and explain the pros and cons of having the barrel and the weight all in so much closer, but I'll just say it really does feel different, at least to me.

YMMV, of course. All of this is the rambling of someone who probably hasn't had enough coffee this afternoon.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Well my AR isn't just a cheap build. Its got PSA, Daniel defense, and bcm parts in it. I just think the buffer spring I got from PSA was a little light. I'll find out next time I head to the range. But so far the gun has been picky about being dirty, cause it always runs fine after I clean it and lube the bolt carrier group.

Video on the correct way to oil and clean an AR15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4DQ5QlwrA&feature=g-vrec

Mine is full BCM and hasn't skipped a beat. I rarely clean it but ill drop a few drops of slip2k on a couple spots of the bolt carrier every few hundred rounds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The Tavor is used by Israel...those guys practically are modern 300 Spartans and carry this. No trigger time on the Tavor but I definitely think it can out perform. But, I'd take the track record of the AR platform and it's USA invented background any day. :patriot:

Top Bottom