• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    I was thinking about this today. Does every vendor at the 1500 charge sales tax? If they are out of state is anything different? I'm thinkin of getting a rifle, and want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples price wise.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dealers will charge tax. Individual sales no.

I wanted a HK p7 back in the mid 1980's and just had enough for the gun not the tax. Bought a smith model 60 instead. Came back next show and the German mark was worth more than US dollars and the price went up. Had enough for the gun but not the tax.

Still do not have my p7.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note: They COLLECT sales tax - they don't "charge it".

Difference - even if just semantics.

Some will wrap the sales tax up into the marked price of the items so it seems that you're not paying.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I dont mind paying sales tax if the vendor has a sales tax certificate on display, nothing pisses me off more than paying an out of state tax knowing that my cash sale wont get reported anyway. I agree that most retailers/vendors just collect tax to pay it to the state, but I cant help but think that there are a few that CHARGE tax and not pass it to the state as they should.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont mind paying sales tax if the vendor has a sales tax certificate on display, nothing pisses me off more than paying an out of state tax knowing that my cash sale wont get reported anyway. I agree that most retailers/vendors just collect tax to pay it to the state, but I cant help but think that there are a few that CHARGE tax and not pass it to the state as they should.

I don't display mine, but I ALWAYS have it with me. Table space is to precious to display it, but Ill happy product it if anyone asks.

Cujo71321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I used to work the Gun Show circuit in all of Texas and Louisiana back in the 1980's. I was just a hobbyist knife maker and knife repairman, who was not set up as a business and so did not collect taxes. However, some of the gun shows in Louisiana started having the local tax office show up at the shows on Sunday and set up a table to collect taxes from each vendor before he left. They had no way of knowing what you sold, or how much money you took in, but they just wanted to get some tax revenue going on, so they intimidated the dealers by saying that we had to go by the table at the end of the show and tell them how much we sold and pay the taxes on the sales. If not, we would be banned from future shows, and they said they would report us to the IRS. I personally think it was BS, but I didn't want to take the chance on being on some government blacklist for "not paying taxes" so I did the same thing most of the dealers there did... I went to the table and told them it was a sucky show, and that I only did a couple hundred dollar's worth of business and just paid the taxes. They never asked for proof of sales, they just took the money and gave receipts. I have a feeling most of the money never made it into the local treasury...

Top Bottom