• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Anybody have one of these revolvers? Or shoot one? Or any of the Taylor & Co imports?

I have a strong desire for a .45 Colt wheelgun, and that short barreled one they have sure looks good. If you have one, can it handle the Buffalo Bore ammo, or is it just for cowboy action style rounds?

Thanks, y'all!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yep you need a Ruger Blackhawk 45colt. Ruger New Vaquero will not take it as well. I emailed Ruger about it when my son bought his they said only the Blackhawk 45colt was made for nuclear power 45colt rds.

You can load it up with a 250gr bullet at around 1000 fps depending on barrel length of course. With a 3.5" barrel I'm going to guess it to be around 900fps since a 7.25" barrel is over 1,000fps. However, you will need to work up your load from the starting load and test just to be on the safe side.
    A 250gr bullet at 900fps is close to 450 ft lbs of energy so it is still very powerful.

Edit: added load data picture

Screenshot_20210711-104608_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colt 45 is a cartridge with a lot of potential if you reload. That said, in my Colts and Uberti guns I use 8 grains of Unique behind a 250 grain cast bullet. It's plenty of load for a Colt or clone.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The Taylor's guns are simply the Ubertis that are hand selected and then brought over for some final finishing and custom touches applied. They are very nice, but no more durable than the other Italian clones.

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    I own a T&C Smoke Wagon Deluxe in .45 LC and absolutely love it. Many folks run T&C/Uberti in Cowboy Action Shooting and put a lot of lead through them. Ruger is the Gold Standard, but that doesn't mean T&C isn't still a great gun. Additionally, Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure .45LC round for self defense that can be shot from ANY 1893 clone in case you want to use it for carry.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Another vote for the Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP here. No, it's not a truly old-west authentic single-action, but they're built like tanks and excellent shooters. There was one in the classifieds here just a few days ago...not sure if it's still listed or not.

I love mine. It's incredibly accurate in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP loadings. ACP is particularly fun to shoot out of it because the short, fat, round-nose cartridges drop right in like they want to be there, and the cases pop right out cleanly every time with a quick bump from the ejector rod. I'm not sure how they did it, either, but mine is more accurate than it has any right to be with that long jump to the lands. An added bonus if you don't reload, .45 ACP is usually a lot cheaper and easy to come by than .45 Colt.

On the other hand, you can drop the .45 Colt cylinder in there, and because it's a large-frame Blackhawk, it'll eat heavy Ruger-Only loads that put it up into .44 Mag territory. These loads could damage an SAA or many of the clones that aren't rated for the pressure. I've carried mine out west hiking in bear country with some heavy 300gr loads that were as hot as anything I'd ever care to shoot, and knew with confidence that the gun would handle them. The adjustable sights also give you the ability to zero it for the wide range of ammo that you can feed it, making it a truly practical and versatile gun.

Top Bottom